Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architect v's Engineer

• 25-06-2015 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advise.

I was recently granted planning permission and have asked my engineer to draw up construction drawings prior to employing a QS for BOQ tender process.

My engineer contacted my architect and asked him for the CAD drawings to form the basis of the construction drawings.

My architect said he couldn't do so as it would not be covered by his public liability insurance.

Is this the case?

Is this usual practice?

If not, how would you advise I go about rectifying the situation with the result being that my Architect issues the CAD drawings to the Engineer to expedite the process.

To be fair the PDF drawings have been issued and they can be imported to CAD and scaled , but it still seems to me like a bit of an inconvenience.

Thanks,
    EP.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This situation is becoming more and more common due to SI 9.

to be honest when im starting construction drawings on someone elses design i always start from scratch.
    Just make sure that the architects pdfs are fully dimensioned, if hes not willing to send on the CAD file.

oh and that whole "not covered by public liability insurance" stuff is horse ****e. Thats not what PLI covers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

Apologies, it was "P.I." insurance.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

everypenny wrote: »
    Apologies, it was "P.I." insurance.

If thats the architect position, so be it.

The engineer should be starting from scratch regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If thats the architect position, so be it.

The engineer should be starting from scratch regardless.

This has to be the case, unless the Architect is actually employed by the Engineer. PI Insurance would play a part in any claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This has to be the case, unless the Architect is actually employed by the Engineer. PI Insurance would play a part in any claim.

which begs the question, why bother with an arch, if u need an eng anyway

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

which begs the question, why bother with an arch, if u need an eng anyway

I should have been clearer with my comment,

When I said 'Engineer' I was referring to the DC, or more accurately the working drawings being carried out by the Design Certifier, which as we know doesn't have to be an engineer but can also be an architect or building surveyor as well.

So your comment above could just as easily have read why bother with an engineer at all, just get an architect to do all the work.

Historically as you know, these works came in two very basic sections, the first being the design and planning (usually but not exclusively carried out by an architect) and the second being the working drawings and supervision (usually referred to being carried out by the engineer as opposed to being carried out by AN engineer).

I'm surprised that this explanation is actually necessary.

Advertisement