Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring T4 Caravelle

Options
  • 25-06-2015 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

At my wits end.

I have a 1995 T4 caravelle which i removed all the back seats from. I have an engineers report to say the seats were removed properly. i am struggling to find an insurance company to insure it either commercially or privately. it is registered privately and i would like it to stay private for future camper conversion but for now just want a van. All insurance companies say it falls outside there criteria for insurance.

All advice greatly appretiated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Is it your primary vehicle? I have a 98 Caravelle, originally an Ambulance, got it changed to MPV in the tax office. Took out the back seats and insured it with insuremyvan.ie while I was converting it to a camper.... It was a secondary vehicle however, not primary and not in every day use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Whats the planned use? My dad had the same problem with removing seats from a caravelle for sailing gear. Theres only one underwriter that covers that. He got the insurance through Murray Spellman.

If you have side windows not permanently blocked up and its not a crewcab then you can't get commercial insurance.

If you don't need all the space then put back in the front rear seats, a bulkhead, block up the back sidewindows and register it crewcab.

stevire wrote: »
    Is it your primary vehicle? I have a 98 Caravelle, originally an Ambulance, got it changed to MPV in the tax office. Took out the back seats and insured it with insuremyvan.ie while I was converting it to a camper.... It was a secondary vehicle however, not primary and not in every day use.

How did you get it changed to MPV theres no option in the forms noone seems to have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 finnpower

Thanks for the for feedback guys. It's not my main vehicle and just wanted to insure it to potter around sorting bits and bobs for it while I'm converting it. It's registered as a multivan now but if I'm honest to the insurance compa y and tell them the seats are out of it they won't entertain me. Maybe I should stay quiet about the seats being out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 finnpower

Stevire how did you get on with changing the use of your caravelle to camper after your conversion?? Who were you able to insure it with??

• Advertisement

finnpower wrote: »
    Thanks for the for feedback guys. It's not my main vehicle and just wanted to insure it to potter around sorting bits and bobs for it while I'm converting it. It's registered as a multivan now but if I'm honest to the insurance compa y and tell them the seats are out of it they won't entertain me. Maybe I should stay quiet about the seats being out of it.

Just call Murray spellman and tell them its a multivan and you sometimes remove the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

moodrater wrote: »
    How did you get it changed to MPV theres no option in the forms noone seems to have a clue.

My vehicle was slightly different in that it was classified as an ambulance, A2 or something? Patient transport classification with 9 seats. I went to tax office and wanted to tax it, so they gave me two options - take the seats out and tax as commercial or leave the seats in and tax as MPV. I went with MPV!
    finnpower wrote: »
    Stevire how did you get on with changing the use of your caravelle to camper after your conversion?? Who were you able to insure it with??

Yeah had a little trouble, but got insurance with Dolmen in the end. I contacted AXA directly and asked them to take it to the underwriters. Full details in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057280130&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the enemy

I have a similar problem just bought a 2.4 lwb caravelle 2000 ,,,and cant insure it with the usual suspects,,,,10yrs no claims 56 yrs old ,,, the whole tax/ insurance system is a joke,,ignorant and so far out of touch with the rest of the planet. Can anyone help me ,i am going to make a camper of it during the winter,,,,iam a panel beater ,so its bread and butter to me ,,,but this **** with insurance and is it a van, a mini bus a people carrier ,is driving me nuts ,,,

the enemy wrote: »
    I have a similar problem just bought a 2.4 lwb caravelle 2000 ,,,and cant insure it with the usual suspects,,,,10yrs no claims 56 yrs old ,,, the whole tax/ insurance system is a joke,,ignorant and so far out of touch with the rest of the planet. Can anyone help me ,i am going to make a camper of it during the winter,,,,iam a panel beater ,so its bread and butter to me ,,,but this **** with insurance and is it a van, a mini bus a people carrier ,is driving me nuts ,,,

You have to call a broker to insure it privately.

thanks moodrater,,,,,,, so will the broker insure it as it is ,,,,,seats the whole thing ,,,,or do i have to change it to an MPV log book route as some have suggested,,,the vehicle is down as D3 bodytype minibus on the log book but the motor taxation class on the book is J2 PRIVATE .I will try the brokers tomorrow,,and will let u know the story ,,,,thanks again for your help

• Advertisement

thanks moodrater,,,,,,, so will the broker insure it as it is ,,,,,seats the whole thing ,,,,or do i have to change it to an MPV log book route as some have suggested,,,the vehicle is down as D3 bodytype minibus on the log book but the motor taxation class on the book is J2 PRIVATE .I will try the brokers tomorrow,,and will let u know the story ,,,,thanks again for your help

My old van was the same even though it was only a 7 seater. I had it insured with FBD but then all of a sudden they couldn't cover it. Had to get it insured with a broker.

well i guess its back to the drawing board RSA and 123 insurance , wont help although im insured with them ,and that includes the underwriters and contact with the ombudsman ,,,,and the same goes for every broker in this wonderful land . so now with the 1,8 hight restrictions back in place ,,,its gonna be a marathon to get this project under way ,,,,,,the work is easy the RED tape ,,and the jobsworth,,,clowns is the hard bit ,,,my advice is buy any old heap with campervan on the log book and spend time ,,no matter how long it takes to smarten it up ,at least you can enjoy the odd day out till its ready ,,,,,that way no hassle,no heartache and minimal contact with negative pencil pushers ,probably cheaper in the long run as-well.

well i guess its back to the drawing board RSA and 123 insurance , wont help although im insured with them ,and that includes the underwriters and contact with the ombudsman ,,,,and the same goes for every broker in this wonderful land . so now with the 1,8 hight restrictions back in place ,,,its gonna be a marathon to get this project under way ,,,,,,the work is easy the RED tape ,,and the jobsworth,,,clowns is the hard bit ,,,my advice is buy any old heap with campervan on the log book and spend time ,,no matter how long it takes to smarten it up ,at least you can enjoy the odd day out till its ready ,,,,,that way no hassle,no heartache and minimal contact with negative pencil pushers ,probably cheaper in the long run as-well.

Did you try wexford and insuremyvan.ie

Advertisement