Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This day 25 years ago...'A nation holds its breath...'

• 25-06-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/italia-90-the-nation-holds-its-breath-1.2262627

For those can remember, Italia '90 was a really really crap World Cup but in Ireland it was the birth of a nation.

I was 12 and I have 3 abiding memories of that fateful day 25 years:

1. I couldnt watch Kevin Sheedy's peno- he missed one against Finland in the warm up- I look away and just heard the ball hit the net.

2. The smell of body odour in the sitting room by the end of the shootout- it was hot and very sweaty.

3. Thankfully Hagi has a greedy bastard and basically kept shooting at Bonner all day long.

Please share your memories...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The Romanian goalie Silviu Lung, his son Silviu Lung jnr is a goalie as well, plays for FC Astra. They were in the same EL group as Celtic this year.

Tony Cas bewildered him when he kicked up a cloud of dust before making contact with the ball in the shoot out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Very good penalties from the Irish players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Very good penalties from the Irish players

Yeah, Cascarino totally deceiving the keeper by kicking the ground first instead of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Watched in the RDS, pissed!!! nearly got evicted for invading the pitch:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its amazing what some people will celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Surely for a small country like us, getting to the quarter final of a world cup was something worthy of celebrating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

+1

if you can't enjoy and celebrate that, what's the point of being a football supporter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

faithful

Fateful?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

greendom wrote: »
    +1

if you can't enjoy and celebrate that, what's the point of being a football supporter?

God, as fans we live for these moments, the World Cup is only every four years. I was only nine years old, we had an old telly in a room away from the living room where I watched the game, GAA family, I don't think me da had the match on. I didn't really understand what was going on, in terms of what was the importance of the match other than it was in the world cup. By the time the next world cup came around I was fully in tune, I think between Euro 88 and Italia 90, it turned a lot of my generation towards soccer, even if it turned some of us into black sheep.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Maybe someday we will shed that small time mentality and actually achieve something.

Its one thing to realistically appraise your squad and be content at achieving a certain standard such as qualifying for the last 8, there can be satisfaction in that at the time.

But celebrating that "achievement" 25 years later as if you had actually won something? **** that noise.

Its the flipside of those still whinging about the Henry handball, small time thinking on both sides. History remembers the victors, so lets stop dwelling on insignificant events and maybe actually try to really achieve something important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

There's always one :rolleyes: First time the country ever qualified for a World Cup, why should't people remember it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Maybe someday we will shed that small time mentality and actually achieve something.

Its one thing to realistically appraise your squad and be content at achieving a certain standard such as qualifying for the last 8, there can be satisfaction in that at the time.

But celebrating that "achievement" 25 years later as if you had actually won something? **** that noise.

Its the flipside of those still whinging about the Henry handball, small time thinking on both sides. History remembers the victors, so lets stop dwelling on insignificant events and maybe actually try to really achieve something important.

I dont think it is being celebrated, just remebered. It was one of the mst memorable days in irish sporting history.

Watched at home. I was 11. Lots of my aunts and uncles there with my folks. The amount of cursing I had never heard before.

O leary scored, the room went loopy, i started crying because I felt sorry for Timofte!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

First time at a world cup, qualify for the q/f's. In the background the country has finally adopted some good economic policies and is emerging from decades long doldrums.

You are exactly the sort of person Irish football does not need. Surround ourselves in misery and self flagellation because we can't win a world cup....at the first attempt.

Ne'er do wells and self loathers will never be satisfied.

It was amazing. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I am not sure how old you are but the World Cup in 1990 took over the whole nation. It was absolutely f*cking fantastic.
    Yes, the football was complete sh*t but bar the odd few, nobody cared.

I was working in Irish Life then and I remember they put big screens up in the canteen and provided beer for the staff. The game was about 3pm I think and the entire company (well country) just stopped and watch the game.

I guess you most likely support Man United or Liverpool and have seen your team win the Champions League and some League titles but this was the entire country coming together and I loved it and have no problem still celebrating this achievement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's not just about the football but the togetherness as a nation that it brings about. If football is just about winning trophies to you then I think you're missing out on so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I love these guys, "i won't celebrate 2nd place" a la Roy Keane.

Whilst watching a match in a pub with a pint in front of them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Let's not forget the team anthem was the greatest song ever.. I still get shivers...:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PT65I2ny8

Wise scholars say that it was the start of the Celtic Tiger. Nonsense....

It was Johnny Logan winning the Eurovision in 1987...at least he won something.

I wish I was older to have fully appreciated what Italia 90 was all about (was only 5) but being a United fan, who took it very seriously as a kid/teenager when they were winning everything, I can honestly say that the fondest memories that I have from watching football are Bonner saving that penalty, Ray Houghton in 94 against Italy, Jason McAteer against Holland and Robbie Keane against Germany in 2002. Nothing United or any club team could ever do would compare for me.

Supporting a team from another country is all well and good but when your country does something it's a special feeling. Being part of a whole nation rooting in the one direction is amazing. Can't imagine what it would be like to be from a country that won a major tournament. The euphoria must be unreal.

FWIW, playing football, even at the lowest levels that I play at would give me more enjoyment than watching anyone play but that's a different argument

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

This was you in 1990, wasn't it.

fan-crying.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I watched every game of that tournament religiously. Not much flowing football tbh, but lots of high drama throughout. Good times.

You are exactly the sort of person Irish football does not need. Surround ourselves in misery and self flagellation because we can't win a world cup....at the first attempt.

Surround myself in misery? Are you responding to somebody else?

I am not wallowing in misery because we can't win a world cup, rather I would prefer to keep pushing forward and improving until we do.

Far better that than to wallow in a mediocre past, patting ourselves on the back about winning a penalty shootout 25 years ago. The problem is that there are far too many content to do just that, happier to claim that as a victory than to demand better. The sort who truly believe its the taking part that counts, that moral victories count and that its far better to be well liked than to be successful.

I'd say in another 20 years the same type of people will be celebrating 2012 as a great tournament because they had some epic sing songs when they were there.

And yes, I was very much alive and well in 1990, bleached jeans and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I was 12.

I watched all the group games at home with my Dad.

In the days after the end of the group games and before the 2nd round vs Romania we were all packed into my Dads 1982 Carina Estate, where we proceeded to drive from Mayo to London for a wedding. I traveled 1st class all the way in the boot! My two older sisters occupied the back seat.

On arrival into London our destination was, obviously enough, Kilburn. As we got closer, I'll never forget the old battered builders van in front of us on some main road. They had obviously spotted the Irish plates. Out of the blue the back doors of the van burst open and inside was what seemed like a hundred Irishmen covered in dust waving and roaring 'up Ireland' etc... such craic..! we beeped through the streets of London in a mini convoy for about ten minutes..!

I watched the match upstairs in the Prince of Wales pub in Kilburn, which my Aunt owned at the time. I'll never forget sneaking downstairs after O'Leary scored. The place was crazy. A room full of drunk and happy Irishmen and women gone half daft.. Great memories..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I watched every game of that tournament religiously. Not much flowing football tbh, but lots of high drama throughout. Good times.

Same here although I missed all the Q-finals (save for Ireland v Italy) and the S-finals as I had to go off to some poxy Scout camp.

Even had the World Cup 90 sticker folder. I watched and taped the opening ceremony followed by Argentina v Cameroon.......Maradona juggling the ball on his shoulder before the kick off and then Cameroon literally trying to kill Caniggia. Still have nightmares about Benjamin Massing.

I saw some of 1986 WC final but Euro '88 was a real awakening...(Wim Keft you jammy jammy bastard....that still hurts more than anything...:()

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

This was ace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I am not wallowing in misery because we can't win a world cup, rather I would prefer to keep pushing forward and improving until we do.

Far better that than to wallow in a mediocre past, patting ourselves on the back about winning a penalty shootout 25 years ago. The problem is that there are far too many content to do just that, happier to claim that as a victory than to demand better. The sort who truly believe its the taking part that counts, that moral victories count and that its far better to be well liked than to be successful.

I'd say in another 20 years the same type of people will be celebrating 2012 as a great tournament because they had some epic sing songs when they were there.

Wow wee..
    I must have got it wrong as a 12 year old. I must try harder to quell those very very happy days in my childhood, who needs to hold on those sorts of positive experiences.

I was laughing with a mate of mine the other day.. I arrived to school in the lead up to that world cup, proud as punch, in a pair of Ireland shorts with cartoons of Charlton, Houghton etc on them. My mate proceeded to announce to the entire class that I was wearing underpants as shorts. I argued that he was nuts. He proved his point by showing everyone his jocks. They were my shorts..!!

Forget the happy memories, forget the laughs and the nerves and the genuine innocence of it all...

We didn't win the world cup, move on lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭thomasj

This was ace.

rte online have a "live" blog for the buildup and game

http://m.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0625/710625-live-world-cup-1990-ireland-v-romania/

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

thomasj wrote: »
    rte online have a "live" blog for the buildup and game

http://m.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0625/710625-live-world-cup-1990-ireland-v-romania/

:eek:

Just came to post the same thing, great idea :)

I remember last Summer in the build-up to the World Cup the BBC picked a few iconic England World Cup matches and did the same thing except they broadcasted the matches on BBC3/4 and online at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Or you could go fcuk yourself

• Advertisement

If my opinions disturb your happy memories that much then I guess I should apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If my opinions disturb your happy memories that much then I guess I should apologise.

Apology accepted😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Republic of Ireland: Packie Bonner, Chris Morris, Steve Staunton, Mick McCarthy (capt), Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge, Niall Quinn.

decent line-up all the same

Republic of Ireland: Packie Bonner, Chris Morris, Steve Staunton, Mick McCarthy (capt), Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Ray Houghton, Kevin Sheedy, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge, Niall Quinn.

decent line-up all the same

Yep, strong in midfield.

What we'd give now for any of McGrath, Houghton, Sheedy, Townsend, Whelan or Brady.

Just watched the shootout again on Facebook via a link from Boylesports and still 25 years on it sends a shiver down my spine.

Don't care if we shouldn't celebrate it... It was an amazing day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great times as a 13 yr old. Watched the game with my penny's ole ole ole sheedy saved the day t shirt on. After the penos went on to the street to celebrate people spilt out from the local pub and everytime the bus went by everyone bailed on for a couple of stops and did the conga. The homecoming was class aswell. The football was shocking especially when you consider the players we had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Im glad we had one of those old school couches with springs in the base, there was some amount of jumping done that day. I remember it being hot outside but even hotter inside, the buzz about the place was something that has not been matched since. Probably because there was never anything like it up until that point. What a Summer :) Only let down by Scillachi, that goal is still frozen in my brain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a great time to be alive

Never met an Irish fan who didn't enjoy that summer.

I'm presuming you are too young to have remembered it properly. Otherwise I feel sorry for anyone that can't enjoy the amazing togetherness of a nation.

It was fantastic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I remember it well. I was in Dublin at the time and every pub all over the county was packed out for the games. Then afterwards the parties went on until all hours of the morning. I don't know what the actual sick day levels were after Irish games but I'd imagine it was the highest in the history of the state.

O'Connell street(pre junkies and drugs) was a sight to behold at 11.00pm at night. The place was flooded with people and they were singing and dancing in the streets.

On a personal level the only time I have turned away from the tv in my life was when David O'Leary stepped up to take that penalty against Romania. It was just too much for me, O'Leary had been overlooked by Big Jack for a long time even though he was clearly one of the best center halves not only for Ireland but in the English football league at the time. It was just too much for me and I turned away and even closed my eyes and then I heard the roar and we all started hugging each other and roaring out heads off and drinking like there was no tomorrow.

It was a very special time for everybody and I'll always cherish my memories of that World Cup and particularly the Irish games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

demand better. The sort who truly believe its the taking part that counts, that moral victories count and that its far better to be well liked than to be successful.

Demand better from people who actually get up off their arse and represent my country, I don't think I'm qualified enough to :) I reckon you must be involved at some level, pushing things forward, so fair play for that. I think it's probably just different perspectives. I'm a sit in the pub kinda guy, and have a lot of respect for the people who get to a high level at any sport.

• Advertisement

I'm disappointed that a thread that should have been a wonderful trip down memory lane, full of great stories has descended into this nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Haha, what you going nuts for, Some people just love italia 90 so much.
    It was great, what a summer. But its 25 years ago.
    Its over, man, its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

It was a brilliant time. I started a new job that morning in Waterford, finished at noon, down to the pub with my new workmates, pints, the the game, then the shootout, put my fist through a plaster board wall by accident celebrating Kevin Sheedys penalty in Fat Sams, more pints then late to work second day :) Always remember people hanging out of lamp posts after game singing, cars parading around the city.

one other memory, Figgy Curran on RTE news asking his Mam to send him over more money as he had run out over in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

This was ace.

Have it, completed. Probably worth a few bob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

People out on the street running around like mad eejits afterwards, Ole oleing, the sense of elation was measured against the deflation of Schillaci's winner for Italy. All the kids in school used Schillaci as a replacement for all manner of swear words for quite some time afterwards. Seems like a lifetime ago now.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I remember sitting down in front of our 32 inch telly (was seen as big telly at time) and going mental when Ireland won with my dad.

I remember we were all mocking the Romania Goalie next day in school cause he kept going wrong way for Penos bar one, naive eh.

Got school holidays day before Italy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I was only two at the time so have had to watch videos online as I wouldn't have been able to understand what was happening at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You know that is not true, no one will be remembering 2012 in 2032.

Italia '90 was unique, we will never have the like of it again.

Euro '88 was a but of a warm up but 1990 was something different, it was spontaneous.

If you want an example of not being happy and demanding better have a look at USA '94.

As I said '90 was unique, a first time experience, in '94 we were expected to at least replicate what happened in '90, and remember we beat Germany and Holland in friendlies in the warm up.
    But they failed in '94, bowed out pretty meekly, and people knew it for what it was, a failure.
    But in '94 we were far more 'mature' as a football nation, expectations were much higher, the vibe was totally different.

I was not here for 2002 so I can't comment on it, but there was almost no vibe for 2012, I don't know if that was because I am older now, or because of the way we consume media now, or because we don't go to pubs as much, or because the team was s**t, but there was no atmosphere.

I was 18 and doing my leaving cert for Italia '90 and I will never forget those days as long as I live, they were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

'94 was pretty special too. The Ray Houghton goal and the performance of Paul McGrath in Giant's stadium and beating the Italians who had ended our dream four years earlier was a pretty special time.

We were a little disappointed to go out so easily to the Dutch but we all knew that we were up against a top team who had won the Euros in '88 and got beaten in a penalty shootout in the Euros in '92.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

This was ace.

I'm still missing just one sticker from that collection. Any spares? :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement