Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC won't start

Options
  • 25-06-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I've had this PC built for a year and 6 months and just last Sunday it refused to start on me. It was working fine Sunday morning but in the evening when I tried to start it, it refused to start. When I attempt to turn it on the power button flashes and the fans spin once like it's trying to power up but can't.

I've tested my power supply, RAM and hard drive in another PC and they work fine so I think it's either the motherboard or the CPU. Has anyone here had an issue similar to this, if so how did you fix it? Should I just buy a new motherboard, as I think that's what it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

Something similar happened me once where I didn't have CPU heatsink/fan wasn't tightly in place so board keeps cutting out to stop overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Do you have the ability to test a different motherboard first? Jumping to a buy is last thing you want to do if it's not the actual MoBo that's the problem.

Also, does it give any bios beeps? Check your motherboard manual and online to see what they mean. If there's no beeps what kind of way does it shut down? Like a quick little blip and then it powers off suddenly like you just unplugged it (almost like a vaccume) or is it more like it just gives up from trying to boot?

Check all your connections. So easy to miss something tiny out of its socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

just a suggestion, before spending huge amounts on a motherboard or other assorted parts, check the switch. i had the same problem on my current pc and after researching and testing of different parts the problem was a faulty on/off switch. so simple i overlooked it.

you never know, give it a try while waiting for the smarter posters to come along. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Stupify

Something similar happened me once where I didn't have CPU heatsink/fan wasn't tightly in place so board keeps cutting out to stop overheating.

I'll redo the thermal paste when I get home and try it again to see if that's the problem

Do you have the ability to test a different motherboard first? Jumping to a buy is last thing you want to do if it's not the actual MoBo that's the problem.

Also, does it give any bios beeps? Check your motherboard manual and online to see what they mean. If there's no beeps what kind of way does it shut down? Like a quick little blip and then it powers off suddenly like you just unplugged it (almost like a vaccume) or is it more like it just gives up from trying to boot?

Check all your connections. So easy to miss something tiny out of its socket.

I can try a different motherboard first.

No Bios beeps, it's like the Pc is attempting to turn on but can't, just fan spin on the cpu fan, case fans and power supply fan.

• Advertisement

soups05 wrote: »
    just a suggestion, before spending huge amounts on a motherboard or other assorted parts, check the switch. i had the same problem on my current pc and after researching and testing of different parts the problem was a faulty on/off switch. so simple i overlooked it.

you never know, give it a try while waiting for the smarter posters to come along. :)

I thought the same so I've tried jumping the motherboard with a screwdriver and the same thing happens.

Doesn't look like I have any thermal paste lying about. Would it be ok to remove the cpu and attempt to start the pc, just to see if it'll go any further or give any bios beeps, or is this too dangerous? I'll pick up some thermal paste tomorrow anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Stupify wrote: »
    Doesn't look like I have any thermal paste lying about. Would it be ok to remove the cpu and attempt to start the pc, just to see if it'll go any further or give any bios beeps, or is this too dangerous? I'll pick up some thermal paste tomorrow anyway.

It won't be a heat issue if it not booting.
    Disconnect everything from the mobo inc drives. Remove any cards inc graphics if there's onboard graphics.
    Same with ram. If using more than one, remove it and just use one.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    It won't be a heat issue if it not booting.
    Disconnect everything from the mobo inc drives. Remove any cards inc graphics if there's onboard graphics.
    Same with ram. If using more than one, remove it and just use one.

Tried breadboarding it yesterday but got the same results. I did have two sticks of ram left in tho, I'll take out one and try it again. Think it's the motherboard?

Still the same. No bios beeps, just the cpu fan attempting to start spinning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Stupify wrote: »
    Tried breadboarding it yesterday but got the same results. I did have two sticks of ram left in tho, I'll take out one and try it again. Think it's the motherboard?

Mobo or CPU.
    Did you try the PSU from your other PC on that PC?

Yes, swapped out the psu and still had the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

see attached image. hope this helps.

see attached image. hope this helps.

Thanks, had a quick read through starting at power supply failure and it told me to replace the power supply. I'll have another look at it when I get home, getting some thermal paste today so I'm gonna try reseating the cpu.

Just thought I'd update you guys. I tried the cpu in a working pc and it did the same thing so it's the cpu that's the problem. Looks like some of the thermal paste dripped down onto the green part of the cpu, don't know if that's caused this or not though, I'll look into it. Thanks for the help I received here

Advertisement