Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor on property

Options
  • 25-06-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

My landlord organises to have grass and hedges cut on our property. They dont give notive when they are coming but this doesnt bother me.Last Saturday a tractor came through our land and went into the adjoining house to make bales from the high grass that had been cut. Later came back and picked up the bales. I'm not happy to have my yard to be used as a farmyard as I have 2 young kids. Am I within my rights to deny admittance or request to be told when they are coming in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

They-the neighbors- might have a right of way through your property to access their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For a start they are not using your yard as a farmyard.
    By the sounds of it they are using your property as a passageway to a peice of land, which leads me to the same thinking as others, that they have right of way.
    Does it look like there is path across your property i.e. are their gates, gaps in fences that allows access in/out of your section ?
    Is there another entrance to that section of land ?
    How did they get in to cut the grass and row it up before they ever baled it ?
    Have animals ever been brought through your property ?

Who owns your property.
    Is it the next door farmer whose land had the bales or is the other side ?
    Does the farmer own both houses ?

The thing I would say to landlord/farmer is to give you some warning.
    And the way to remind him it is a good idea is to highlight fact there are small children in your property and if anything happens to them because of him he will get his ass sued left right and centre.
    I know if anything happened money wouldn't matter to you, but money and liability will matter to him.
    That is if he has any bloody cop on.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

No both property is rented out by the same man. He also owns the farm itself.

jmayo wrote: »
    For a start they are not using your yard as a farmyard.
    By the sounds of it they are using your property as a passageway to a peice of land, which leads me to the same thinking as others, that they have right of way.
    Does it look like there is path across your property i.e. are their gates, gaps in fences that allows access in/out of your section ?
    Is there another entrance to that section of land ?
    How did they get in to cut the grass and row it up before they ever baled it ?
    Have animals ever been brought through your property ?

Who owns your property.
    Is it the next door farmer whose land had the bales or is the other side ?
    Does the farmer own both houses ?

The thing I would say to landlord/farmer is to give you some warning.
    And the way to remind him it is a good idea is to highlight fact there are small children in your property and if anything happens to them because of him he will get his ass sued left right and centre.
    I know if anything happened money wouldn't matter to you, but money and liability will matter to him.
    That is if he has any bloody cop on.

I don't know how they cut it. I presume while we were in work and the kids were in school they came through. There is a gap in the fence between the 2 properties.

I just prefer to have prior knowledge bcos of the kuds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

So u have no problem with him mowing the lawn for u but you do have a problem with him coming in once a year to bale the high grass next door while yer in work n kids in school.
    Wow! The joys of being a landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Maybe it's because it's a little late, but I'm still confused regarding the ownership/leasing arrangement. I'm assuming you are renting a house? Does that house have land with it, which you are also renting and using? And I take it that that land in question is between the road or farm roadway and the adjoining land, which is rented by someone else? And that they are using the land you're renting to gain access to the land they are renting?

convert wrote: »
    Maybe it's because it's a little late, but I'm still confused regarding the ownership/leasing arrangement. I'm assuming you are renting a house? Does that house have land with it, which you are also renting and using? And I take it that that land in question is between the road or farm roadway and the adjoining land, which is rented by someone else? And that they are using the land you're renting to gain access to the land they are renting?

I rent a house with about a half acre of land. The house beside me is rented out too. Both are totally residential. They got 2 round bales from the back of this house. The road is out the front of both houses. Behind the boundaries of the 2 properties is the farm which is accessed up the road by a laneway. There is no farm access from either house to the farmyrad.

enricoh wrote: »
    So u have no problem with him mowing the lawn for u but you do have a problem with him coming in once a year to bale the high grass next door while yer in work n kids in school.
    Wow! The joys of being a landlord.

Well you know the maintainance of the grass is stated in the lease, driving a tractor through it isn't. Anyway if I was living on an actual farm fair enough but neither house is a farm! Anyway I just asked should I not get prior knowledge of this or not....if they had done it during school its not too bad but you know a tractor coming onto the property unaware to me when young kids are around doesnt seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

lollsangel wrote: »
    No both property is rented out by the same man. He also owns the farm itself.

That is what I was thinking.
    I don't know how they cut it. I presume while we were in work and the kids were in school they came through. There is a gap in the fence between the 2 properties.

I just prefer to have prior knowledge bcos of the kuds

Just talk to him and ask him to give you heads up if he needs to bring tractors in.
    I rent a house with about a half acre of land. The house beside me is rented out too. Both are totally residential. They got 2 round bales from the back of this house. The road is out the front of both houses. Behind the boundaries of the 2 properties is the farm which is accessed up the road by a laneway. There is no farm access from either house to the farmyrad.

Two bales are two bales. :D
    He thought what the heck and decided to not let the grass go to waste.
    BTW was it hay or silage ?

He might not have been able to get to the back of the house from the front and main road so had to come through from yours.

Just come over all townie and tell him the tractor(s) scared you, what with all the horror stories you have heard of accidents with little ones and ask him to give you notice in future so you can take the kids away from such dangers.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just be thankful he is not spreading slurry on the land:D

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    That is what I was thinking.

Just talk to him and ask him to give you heads up if he needs to bring tractors in.

Two bales are two bales. :D
    He thought what the heck and decided to not let the grass go to waste.
    BTW was it hay or silage ?

He might not have been able to get to the back of the house from the front and main road so had to come through from yours.

Just come over all townie and tell him the tractor(s) scared you, what with all the horror stories you have heard of accidents with little ones and ask him to give you notice in future so you can take the kids away from such dangers.

Haha he knows I'm culchie through and through. Its the fact that if he was to hit the kids. I know how dangerous it is...it was silage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Yeah, what if he comes back and wants to start spreading silage? ;);)

I was thinking myself that the OP sounded a bit like another mixed up townie.

Advertisement