Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help...

Options
  • 25-06-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Im looking for some honest advice on primary school teaching routes in Ireland.
    I am 24 years old and I done my leaving cert in 2008, I didn't manage to get anything major in the line of points about 300, being honest I didn't know what I wanted to do at 17. College didn't appeal to me. However, After working for many years gaining some life experience and doing a few courses in between, Including the FETAC level 5 in childcare. I have decided that I would love to get into primary school teaching. I enjoy working with children and the job role appeals to me. But, I obviously know I don't possess the educational requirements at the moment. Can anyone steer me in what direction would be the best to go. As I mentioned since leaving school I have worked so if anyone can offer advice on the most financially friendly way to do it would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Torma_214 wrote: »
    I obviously know I don't possess the educational requirements at the moment. Can anyone steer me in what direction would be the best to go. As I mentioned since leaving school I have worked so if anyone can offer advice on the most financially friendly way to do it would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

If you don't have the 'C' in Higher Level Irish, you'll obviously need that. The cheapest way to get it is to repeat the LC. Plenty of people do that now. If you want to work while doing your teaching qualification, most people seem to use Hibernia's course.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Mod Note

The OP is not a teacher and even if the OP was a teacher, we don't correct grammar on-thread.
    Please read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Torma_214

Who said they done something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Torma_214

Thanks for that,
    I'm just wondering if I repeat the leaving cert or solely that subject would that be sufficient enough to get directly into Hibernia or would that be along with a degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Thanks for that,
    I'm just wondering if I repeat the leaving cert or solely that subject would that be sufficient enough to get directly into Hibernia or would that be along with a degree?

No, you will need to have a degree.
    Bare in mind that Hibernia costs nearly €12,000.
    "Getting into teaching" is a long road.
    There are no real shortcuts.
    Look at all yor options, but repeating Irish and a degree are the first steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Mod Note

The OP is not a teacher and even if the OP was a teacher, we don't correct grammar on-thread.
    Please read the charter.

Apologies, just had one of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

However, After working for many years gaining some life experience and doing a few courses in between, Including the FETAC level 5 in childcare. I have decided that I would love to get into primary school teaching. I enjoy working with children and the job role appeals to me. But, I obviously know I don't possess the educational requirements at the moment. Can anyone steer me in what direction would be the best to go. As I mentioned since leaving school I have worked so if anyone can offer advice on the most financially friendly way to do it would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

If you haven't done a degree yet, would you be able to apply to St Pat's or one of the other teacher training colleges as a mature student (you're over 22/23) for entry to the undergrad? Would you be entitled to free fees because it's your first Level 7/8/9 qualification and you'll be applying on your own financial merits?

Initial Teacher Education (ITE) Primary

I would recommend you google the phone number of the adult education officer in any or all of the five colleges in the above link, explain your situation and ask them for their advice. Usually, I think, they need some evidence that you are interested in the area you want to study before they accept you on the course - the FETAC 5 sounds good. I'd really be ringing the colleges and exploring your options with the Adult Education officers. Also, you may be late applying but remember in practice the subject department often has the power to make exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Who said they done something?
    You did, in the second sentence of the OP.

I realise commenting on spelling and grammar in general is against the charter but when the OP is asking for advise on getting into primary teaching, I would have thought that pointing out that they'd need to improve their grammar, based on what they posted, is helpful advice, provided it wasn't phrased too 'abruptly'.

I didn't see what the poster who got the warning said but I get the impression that, in the context of the topic being discussed, it was constructive criticism, though possibly poorly phrased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

RealJohn wrote: »
    You did, in the second sentence of the OP.

I realise commenting on spelling and grammar in general is against the charter but when the OP is asking for advise [/B]on getting into primary teaching, I would have thought that pointing out that they'd need to improve their grammar, based on what they posted, is helpful advice, provided it wasn't phrased too 'abruptly'.

I didn't see what the poster who got the warning said but I get the impression that, in the context of the topic being discussed, it was constructive criticism, though possibly poorly phrased.

Ok back on topic... and learn the difference between advice and advise RJ (although you got it right the second time...:pac: MOD:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm not aiming to be a primary teacher.
    Bloody ironic typos grumble grumble

• Advertisement
Advertisement