Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Question

Options
  • 25-06-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am moving to London next week for 6-8 months. I am currently with Vodafone in a contract and there's loads to go on it so I am stuck paying that anyway.

My question is what is my best option in London to be able to contact friends and family here in Ireland? I have the phone unlocked. the roaming seems a bit steep because the data is very low so I will definitely go more than a 200mb data allowance.

What did you guys do for a phone while over there? Enter a 6 month contract? Get a new sim card and go pay as you go?!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

As a phone contract is a credit agreement, you generally can't get a bill-pay phone unless you've been a UK resident for three years, so a pre-pay SIM (or just using Skype) is probably your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I didnt have any problem getting a bill phone straight away but that was a long time ago. Rules might have changed.

However you probably dont want to get locked into another contract. Just get a SIM only contract which is just a monthly contract that you can exit at any time.

I currently have one from Three which is £12.99 per month with unlimited texts, 1000 minutes and 2GB of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

I didnt have any problem getting a bill phone straight away but that was a long time ago. Rules might have changed.

However you probably dont want to get locked into another contract. Just get a SIM only contract which is just a monthly contract that you can exit at any time.

I currently have one from Three which is £12.99 per month with unlimited texts, 1000 minutes and 2GB of data.

That sounds just the job, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

3 have free roaming after your with them for a month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My Samsung Galaxy S2 was never locked by Meteor in Ireland, so I ended up just getting a sim-only rolling contract with 3 here. I'm on the older version of the cheap tariff - £13.99 a month for 200 minutes/200 texts/unlimited data. The free roaming includes Ireland, the US, Australia and most popular holiday destinations in Europe. I replaced the SGS2 with a Motorola Moto-G a year ago, sim-free from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Check out the PAYG options as well, they are more competitive than in Ireland (imagine that) and have a lot of add-on packs that can reduce the cost to bill-pay levels.

They are also a lot less hassle than signing up for bill-pay, even sim-only rolling contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Giffgaff all the way. I can't wait for my voda contract to expire next month so I can switch. I looked at 3 but similar to Ireland, all I hear are people complaining about coverage so I'll only try it if giffgaff/O2's is poor.

theteal wrote: »
    Giffgaff all the way. I can't wait for my voda contract to expire next month so I can switch. I looked at 3 but similar to Ireland, all I hear are people complaining about coverage so I'll only try it if giffgaff/O2's is poor.

Ya Three can be a bit sketchy when it comes to coverage but 99 days of 100 im in London so coverage isnt a problem and the free roaming is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ya Three can be a bit sketchy when it comes to coverage but 99 days of 100 im in London so coverage isnt a problem and the free roaming is worth it.

The only real oddity I've noticed near me is piss poor to non-existent coverage in the Hampstead Heath area! Absolutely nothing around the overground station/South End Green/Royal Free area, and coverage not good enough to stream from Spotify while running over a decent chunk of the rest of it.

The only real oddity I've noticed near me is piss poor to non-existent coverage in the Hampstead Heath area! Absolutely nothing around the overground station/South End Green/Royal Free area, and coverage not good enough to stream from Spotify while running over a decent chunk of the rest of it.

Ya i noticed that in Hampsted Heath too. :D

But apart from that i have no issues streaming spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd go with 3. I'm happy with their coverage and having their almost unlimited date (15Gb) available in Ireland and the USA along with a load of other countries means that you can often freely travel and take your data with you.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Another +1 for 3, I pay £15 for unlimited calls, texts and internet and 4gb tethering on a rolling monthly contract, also have free roaming when back in Ireland. I don't think they're doing that deal anymore but I'd definitely recommend them, coverage a bit patchy outside London but nothing too major

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hi guys

I'm over here now but none of the providers will offer a rolling sim only deal without a UK bank account which I don't intend to set up as I am just here for a few months on a placement basis from my Irish company.

Anyone any ideas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm over here now but none of the providers will offer a rolling sim only deal without a UK bank account which I don't intend to set up as I am just here for a few months on a placement basis from my Irish company.

Anyone any ideas?

What was wrong with our original advise? Go into any supermarket (Tescos, Morrisons, Sainsburys) and buy a PAYG Three UK SIM for 1 pound.

Ireland landlines will be 2p per minute and if you top-up with 15GBP you'll get unlimited data while in the UK and Ireland.

Advertisement