Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying in Dungarvan for a weekend

Options
  • 25-06-2015 4:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks;

I'm looking to book a weekend to Dungarvan for myself and some friends.

At the moment I'm weighing up either Lawlors or The Park Hotel and was wondering if anyone could give me a steer on which to go for.

Lawlors looks like a good location and a good price but a bit old-fashioned... The Park is a bit fancier looking but you pay a premium for that.

I don't mind how modern the hotel is as long as it's clean and well-staffed - can that be said for Lawlors?

Is there anywhere else that might be worth considering? A friend said he stayed in Tudors a few years ago and liked it but isn't sure what it's like now.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

A friend of mine stayed here a few weeks ago & was raving about it. Best breakfast in Ireland apparantly!

http://www.cairbrehouse.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Hello....

I live in Dungarvan....most of the locals take a dim view of Lawlors....prime location in the town, but genuinely awful in many respects. Clean and well-staffed? Hmmmmm...........

Much better off to stay in the Park Hotel......2 or 3 minutes walk out of town, ask to book rooms away from the function room as it is popular for weddings.

Cairbre House lies directly across an inlet from the Park Hotel, lovely setting, but it's a B&B, if you want a bar you're better to stay in the Park Hotel.

If you'd like a list of decent places to eat, let me know....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

comeraghs wrote: »
    A friend of mine stayed here a few weeks ago & was raving about it. Best breakfast in Ireland apparantly!

http://www.cairbrehouse.com/

Great, thanks for that. Haven't been looking at B&Bs as I know some can be a bit iffy about guests coming back to late and all that... might give them a look though!

Hello....

I live in Dungarvan....most of the locals take a dim view of Lawlors....prime location in the town, but genuinely awful in many respects. Clean and well-staffed? Hmmmmm...........

Yeah - the reviews I'm seeing online are very mixed... some seem to be saying it's good, others saying it's old and a bit tatty... I think part of it's pot look in terms of what room you get!
    Much better off to stay in the Park Hotel......2 or 3 minutes walk out of town, ask to book rooms away from the function room as it is popular for weddings.

Thanks - looks like a nice place alright, shame it doesn't come at Lawlors prices :P
    Cairbre House lies directly across an inlet from the Park Hotel, lovely setting, but it's a B&B, if you want a bar you're better to stay in the Park Hotel.

If you'd like a list of decent places to eat, let me know....

Don't mind it not having a bar - though hopefully they're OK with people not getting back until a bit later in the day!

Thanks too - might take you up on that once we've decided on where to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Mind yourself down there, you might get a loose slap of a hurley ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Anyone I know who's ever stayed in Cairbre House has raved about it.

Also worth looking at The Ormond Cafe in the square - has suites overhead which I believe are quite nice - and also The Tannery townhouse, very central, really nice rooms and you can come and go as you please.

Tangled wrote: »
    Anyone I know who's ever stayed in Cairbre House has raved about it.

Also worth looking at The Ormond Cafe in the square - has suites overhead which I believe are quite nice - and also The Tannery townhouse, very central, really nice rooms and you can come and go as you please.

Thanks - had a look at Tannery and it was spot on - was also coming in at about €1 more per person than Lawlors (which is a premium I'm more than willing to stump up!) so I've booked in for that.

Thanks for all the advice - now if anyone wants to recommend some choice pubs/events/destinations to aim for on the August bank holiday weekend, I'm all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Merry's is a good start and a two second walk from the Tannery townhouse. In my view they have the best selection of beer in the town.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Merry's is a good start and a two second walk from the Tannery townhouse. In my view they have the best selection of beer in the town.

Thanks for that - seems like an excellent opportunity to try some local brews (though some of my friends aren't the biggest craft fans so there may need to be some arm-twisting involved).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I'm not a fan of the food in Merry's. It's small portions and overpriced.
    The Moorings by the quays is a nice spot. Or The Anchor is nice but I never had food there.

• Advertisement

Jan Laco wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the food in Merry's. It's small portions and overpriced.
    The Moorings by the quays is a nice spot. Or The Anchor is nice but I never had food there.

Thanks - have seen mention of the Anchor around here so will do our best to visit!

Is the Moorings good for food? We're likely just looking for decent pub grub and a nice spot for a full Irish in the morning / early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

flogen wrote: »
    Thanks - have seen mention of the Anchor around here so will do our best to visit!

Is the Moorings good for food? We're likely just looking for decent pub grub and a nice spot for a full Irish in the morning / early afternoon.

The Moorings does good pub grub. Haven't eaten in the Anchor, so can't comment on the food.

The Shamrock restaurant is good for a full Irish.

Merrys used to be okay for food, over-rated now. Expensive, small portions and I don't like how they use a dumb waiter to bring hot food from the kitchen.
    The Interlude is highly rated locally. Overlooking the harbour, there is Indian Ocean and the Chinese, nice setting.
    The Shamrock is great for a full Irish breakfast, or a decent meal at any time of day.

Newcomer to Dungarvan is the Lazy Lamb. BYOB, it's not open very long, reports of good food marred by unnecessary hour long delays.

The Tannery is the place to shove the boat out, but unlike the picture painted by the recent Nationwide programme, there's a lot more to Dungarvan than Paul Flynn.

Sounds great - thanks for the suggestions.

Seeking another (very important) recommendation - a late gargle. Where (if anywhere) would be recommended?

Depending on age (of course)......if in 20's, then the Anchor, if not in your 20's then Merry's, and definitely go to what is probably your best bet, The Local which is in the town square.

If you want a really late gargle, then the only nightclub in town is Minnies (the other one is NAMA'd), but if you're over 21 then you'll probably be the oldest person in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Best bet for a late drink would be to head to The Park Hotel, They usually aren't too fussy about who is a resident in the residents bar!

Most of our contingent has passed into their 30s in the past year - with one or two lagging behind... so I think Minnies might be given a miss (though we could get really desperate all the same!).

Thanks for the other suggestions, though.

Advertisement