Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving in with herself

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

don't forget "naked thursdays"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Stay on top of the bills.

Recognise when you need time apart.

Recognise when you need more time together.

Cook and eat together with and without friends as much as possible.

Enjoy the honeymoon period.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

it's just you

Where the hell is Aongus Von Bismarck when you need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Do guys actually do that?

It's not cool, it's not sexy, but yes, yes they do... Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

And the toilet always go down. Not left up.

I never understood this. Guys need it up, girls need it down. Why is the guy in the wrong? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Don't replace her tampons with party poppers.... it's not funny and it doesn't make you a 'big man'

This is the best of all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

Compromise, pull your weight, be yourself right from the start dont be someone that you think your partner wants you to be and kiss her everyday and let her know she can count on you and a nice bunch of flowers every now and again will help. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

73Cat wrote: »
    Ooohhh it's a whole different thing going from seeing each other a few times a week, to moving in together. How I didn't murder him for the first year I'll never know. He had an ancient old clock radio on his bedside locker. He couldn't get to sleep without the radio on. I couldn't get to sleep with it on. There was this one on the radio late at night at the time, around 1995, Amelia was her name I think. She did this skit thing speaking in a stupid voice. He thought she was hilarious. I didn't. So I'd wait till I thought he was asleep, and turn it off. He would still be awake and turn it back on. So on and so forth. In the end he saw the error of his ways, and gave it up. There was probably loads of other stuff that wound me up , but that's the one I never forgot.
    I can't sleep without the TV, she can't sleep with the sound and light. She wears an eye mask and I got wireless earphones. It's not ideal but it's a grand compromise and works well.

Most issues I find can be solved with a bit of compromise and ingenuity when needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Its simple really realising your sharing the space from now on, think about what that means and how you would want to be respected and then practice that respect on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I never understood this. Guys need it up, girls need it down. Why is the guy in the wrong? :mad:

Well guys don't "need" it up. It's very possible to pee with the toilet seat down. Not the toilet cover so much though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If your stuff is lying around the place it's making a mess...if hers is there is a very valid reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Two separate TVs. Essential.

Everything else is negotiable.

Enjoy it all, it's an adventure, and you will both discover a lot about yourselves and each other. Good luck.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Well guys don't "need" it up. It's very possible to pee with the toilet seat down. Not the toilet cover so much though...

It's very possible to pee with it up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I hope you have a spare bedroom in your place. We lived in a one-bed and there was just no space... no wardrobe space for moi, no space to storm off in a huff, no space at all! We're now renting a larger place and the spare room is her wardrobe, my study and our exercise space all in one! And very importantly, the spare room is used when either of us is on a night out mid-week and the other half has work in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Have the housework conversation early. I read somewhere that housework is in the top three sources of conflict for couples (along with sex and money) which means it's before arguments over politics, childrearing and loads of other things and I bloody believe it. It obviously doesn't have to be a rigid rota situation, but understand and respect what each other's standards for cleanliness are. Pick a job each that you hate, and have the other person take responsibility for that. (In my house that's sweeping/hoovering and laundry).

Try not to let the sex and affection slide out of the relationship just because you're around each other all the time. If you look over at her and think "god I love her", TELL HER. Go over and give her a kiss.

Don't take out your shítty mood on the person you love.

The duvet idea is great.

Personally I don't care what lads do with the toilet seat as long as they don't piss all over it but please, please, for the love of god and women everywhere FÚCKING CLOSE DOORS AFTER YOU. Especially cupboard doors.

Pick your battles and don't be petty. You don't have to be a walkover, but if she's asking you to do something relatively small but which you see as pointless (see door thing above), just do it. Don't go into a big spiel about how pointless it is. Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy? (that applies to everyone, not just men)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Blown away by the brilliant responses.

Thanks guys and gals, keep em comin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm a girl , and I've never understood why other girls get so wound up about the man leaving the toilet seat up. It takes a second to put it back down again. Now sprinkling the floor is another thing :(

Don't ever pick up a shirt that was washed and say why is this creased if you don't know where the iron is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Do: Invite her friends and family in to wait for her if they call in when she's out.

Don't: Have sex with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Do: Invite her friend's in to wait for her if they call in when she's out.

Don't: Have sex with them.

Erm... I'm confused by point two.

• Advertisement

Erm... I'm confused by point two.

Best not move in with your girlfriend so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

yermandan wrote: »
    Beautiful lads and lassies of AH, I'm moving in with herself soon and am here to ask for advice on do's and dont's going forward.

What I have so far;

- bathroom door closed at all times
    - no socks and jocks everywhere
    - scheduled no tv/technology time

All funny/helpful replies welcome

:-)

Welcome to the New Cold War...

Create a mancave in one of the rooms if possible. Never surrender it, or you will be relegated to the garage, then to the garden shed.

My better half had rules about tv/tech and socks n jocks. Slowly and over time these rules can be broken until bam!!!!! One day rules might as well be imaginary.

Take the ensuite toilet as your throne room. She will never enter it , and you can clean it as you see fit.

Fight for every inch of bedspace. Do not let her take over your side of the bed or soon you will be on the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Uriel. wrote: »
    I can't sleep without the TV, she can't sleep with the sound and light. She wears an eye mask and I got wireless earphones. It's not ideal but it's a grand compromise and works well.

Most issues I find can be solved with a bit of compromise and ingenuity when needed

Oh, definitely:). We were ridiculously young, and stubborn back then, neither prepared to give in. Compromise took a long time to learn!! We haven't killed each other yet, thankfully .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't mention opening a joint account unless she is demonstrably on a better salary than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

jonny24ie wrote: »
    1 big important tip..... make sure you have a secret stash of chocolate so when shes in foul mood you produce it and she will love you long time.

+ 1 to this - just this

and a word to the wise, don't share bank accounts - keep them separate

73Cat wrote: »
    I'm a girl , and I've never understood why other girls get so wound up about the man leaving the toilet seat up. It takes a second to put it back down again. Now sprinkling the floor is another thing :(

Or the wall. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Get used to leaving your stuff somewhere, coming back 10 minutes later and its gone and when you ask where it is, you'll get "where'd you leave it?" answer. She's feckin moved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

+ 1 to this - just this

and a word to the wise, don't share bank accounts - keep them separate

Yeah if she ever saw how much you spent on games, sports, beer, hookers, power tools, etc. She would not be impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Have the housework conversation early. I read somewhere that housework is in the top three sources of conflict for couples (along with sex and money) which means it's before arguments over politics, childrearing and loads of other things and I bloody believe it. It obviously doesn't have to be a rigid rota situation, but understand and respect what each other's standards for cleanliness are. Pick a job each that you hate, and have the other person take responsibility for that. (In my house that's sweeping/hoovering and laundry).

Try not to let the sex and affection slide out of the relationship just because you're around each other all the time. If you look over at her and think "god I love her", TELL HER. Go over and give her a kiss.

Don't take out your shítty mood on the person you love.

The duvet idea is great.

Personally I don't care what lads do with the toilet seat as long as they don't piss all over it but please, please, for the love of god and women everywhere FÚCKING CLOSE DOORS AFTER YOU. Especially cupboard doors.

Pick your battles and don't be petty. You don't have to be a walkover, but if she's asking you to do something relatively small but which you see as pointless (see door thing above), just do it. Don't go into a big spiel about how pointless it is. Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy? (that applies to everyone, not just men)

GOLDEN, just text her a screenshot of this. Thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

1. Don't Panic ......... common mistake.

2. When she's around you remain motionless ....... don't go waving your arms around as this will agitate her.

3. Never try to run away ....... she will catch you!

4. Try distract her with objects she likes.

5. If she gets too close say "Back Away" in a confident but non-aggressive tone ....... do not make eye contact while saying this as it will be perceived as aggressive.

6. If you mess up steps 2. and 5. resulting in her attacking you full-on then strike her hard in the nose .......... this should stun her long enough for you to get away.

7. If she finds you use your weight to your advantage and lay on top of her until help arrives.

8. If she frees herself at this point make sure to protect your face, chest and throat.

9. When she loses interest in you (she eventually will) leave the area slowly and carefully.

10. Once safe attend to any wounds you may have suffered then inform the authorities.

EDIT: These steps will also work if under attack from an angry PitBull ......... good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A slap on the arse never went astray

Best to give the framed painting of the dogs playing pool to one of your mates also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Get used to leaving your stuff somewhere, coming back 10 minutes later and its gone and when you ask where it is, you'll get "where'd you leave it?" answer. She's feckin moved it.

Especially after spending 4 hours assembling ikea flat pack furniture.You've slaved for hours trying to make sense of the instructions and then you go looking for a screwdriver to put that last screw in and all your tools have been put away by the "cleaning fairy"

Of course there being only 2 people in the house and you or your partner haven't moved them it has to be the cleaning fairy or you have a poltergeist..

***the above applies to everything..even leaving the house in the morning.you'll find your keys have even disappeared.or leaving on that 2 week holiday..Your passport will have been tidied away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Just remember a woman always has the last word in an argument........

Anything you say after that is the beginning of a new argument.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

1. Guys are always in the wrong.

2. When you are in the right see 1.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Just remember a woman always has the last word in an argument........

Anything you say after that is the beginning of a new argument.......

No, the Man has the last say in every argument - "I'm sorry, you were right".

even when she knows she's wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

donegal. wrote: »
    don't forget "naked thursdays"
    To be followed by "frisky Fridays" and "sexy Saturdays" and "saucy Sundays"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Just politeness to me to leave it how the other half would use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This thread reminds me of a stupid Facebook status; things to do to make your "woman" appreciate you.

Half of the list was things like:

- Brush your teeth
    - Iron your clothes
    - Have a shower

The list may as well have been called "how not to be a tramp"

• Advertisement

Don't replace her tampons with party poppers.... it's not funny and it doesn't make you a 'big man'

It's been way too long since AH made me laugh like that :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Don't walk into the bathroom when the other half is showering and take a crap.
    Darling you look so beautiful when you are concentrating.

Get out while I'm having a ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Don't mention opening a joint account unless she is demonstrably on a better salary than you.
    And always have your own slush fund. She does not need to know everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Put the toilet seat down after you.
    Try not to pee on on the floor.
    Change the toilet roll.

If you are very hairy (like my OH :o ) make sure to clear the shower of hairs! Or it will get blocked. Although I've heard girls tend to have this problem more often..eek!

Get cleaning duties sorted. Cleaning is the only thing we ever really fight about! Especially washing up.

Have frequent showers!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Just politeness to me to leave it how the other half would use it.

I have my boyo well trained - he pees with the seat down and wipes it after.
    It's the ONLY thing he does right around the house, bless him :D

My problem with the seat up wasn't ever the putting it back down when I needed a wee, but when I sleep walked to the bathroom during the night and almost fell down the feckin toilet :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My girlfriend must be the exception in that she doesn't care about the toilet seat down thing

Or else she's harbouring a lot of resentment

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Also get as a male you need to be prepared to deal with hair clogs and hairs basically everywhere and then be faced with absolute denial by the perpetrator. Effing disgusting but every female I have lived with other than my Mother (my Irish Maaammmmy) has left hair everywhere.

I have literally had to unclog plugholes by wrapping long hairs, spagetti like, around a fork, only to have the only long haired individual in the house deny it point blank. Durt burd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lollsangel wrote: »
    Where's he putting the tampon?

Butt chugging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Sit and pee lads
    We might think our aim is good - but we spray
    Sit and pee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

The whole toilet seat thing is because particles come out of the toilet when you flush.

I learned this after continually forgetting for 2.5 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement