Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW caravelle camper conversion.

Options
  • 25-06-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We've been toying with the idea of getting a VW Caravelle (a T5) for quite some time now.
    The 7 seats are needed at times , currently driving a mazda 5(foldable rear seats), but would love to be able to use the rear fold out bed in a caravelle to use as a camper.
    I've been looking at the possibility of putting in a kitchen pod on the rails but after looking at more threads today I'm unsure of what else I'd need to get it classed as a camper. Or even if I can!

Any ideas/suggestions/warnings!

Cheers.

Jim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Out of interest if you are still going to be using it with 7 seats at the times why class it as a camper at all? Put the kitchen pod in and continue to use it as an MPV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Mainly its the tax aspect of it. €1200 per year is a bit of a kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lacey2

Hi, if you check out the Revenue website, it defines what is required to have a vehicle classified a Motor Caravan. You can take a look yourself, but essentially it is expected that the area behind the driver and front passenger seats will be converted to living accommodation which would include fixed storage (must be 30% of this area), cooking facilities (these must not be accessible from outside the vehicle, so in otherwords they need to be built in), seats and a bed (the bed can serve as seating), a table (which can be removable), and it is expected that there will be at least one window.

If you try to get it classified, with the potential to still carry 7 people, I don't believe it would pass, as it would be considered a passenger vehicle.

:)

Advertisement