Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foscam FI8910W

• 25-06-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi I have one of these cameras but cannot for the life of me get access to it from anywhere except my own wifi, i have tried everything, the camera has its own DDNS ( i dont even know what that is), I have tried another way using no-ip but i cannot connect I tried adding the port forwarding on the router but my knowledge of this stuff is minimal i was hoping to plug it in and be able to view it remotely can someone please help me sort this out.
    I am using a dlink (dir 600) router, the camera works fine just need access from everywhere.
    Can mod please move to correct forum if in wrong place thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

OK so most of these generic IP cameras come with a support android/IOS app which will be able to access the camera remotely. Accessing through an internet browser is a different story. So you can only see your camera on your own wifi as this is your Local Area Network (LAN) and you have not setup your camera to be accessible from outside your network.

Say you access your camera internally on IP address 192.168.1.70 with a port number of say 8888 (you can change IP address and port number through the software that came with camera)

This mean that if accessing from outside your LAN you will need to forward to this IP address. So what you have to do is:

First setup port forwarding. Do this by logging into your dlink router and there should be a section for setting up port forwarding. So you basically just pop in the IP address of the camera assign the camera port number to both start and end port.

You more than likely don't have a static IP address but try this anyway. So google "what is my public IP address" and it will return something like 80.111.198.200 This is your public IP address i.e. this is your access to your LAN from the outside world

So then if you want to access your camera then just go this address in your browser 80.111.198.200:8888 and that should work

The problem with this is is that your public IP address probably is not static and will tend to change so this is where DDNS comes in but that is a discussion for another day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

cherrytaz wrote: »
    The problem with this is is that your public IP address probably is not static
    that is my problem

Anybody? i need this camera working within the next 2 weeks, help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hire an IT guy if its that important to you.

ED E wrote: »
    Hire an IT guy if its that important to you.

Thanks for that advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Is it accessible using your public IP address and the port as mentioned above by cherrytaz?

If not then you need to check to see if the port is correctly opened on your router.

Who is your ISP? Do you have a modem attached to that router as well - the DIR600 appears to be just a router with no modem installed. (http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-600-wireless-n-150-home-router)

Is it accessible using your public IP address and the port as mentioned above by cherrytaz?

If not then you need to check to see if the port is correctly opened on your router.

Who is your ISP? Do you have a modem attached to that router as well - the DIR600 appears to be just a router with no modem installed. (http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-600-wireless-n-150-home-router)

isp is brisknet. the router is plugged into the wall (electricity) there is also another plug and on the end of that is a little square box ( about an inch square) there is a network cable going into it another one coming out of it to the router and the third wire from it is the power cable. there are no phonelines here and we use line of sight to get our wireless broadband. I am thinking the issue is with the router. even though i followed the instructions and created a rule allowing port forwarding. my i.p address is not static, I found a tool to make it static but i am afraid if i do that then i will lose my internet altogether and create further problems, as you can probably tell i am not that technically minded when it comes to pcs / routers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The receiver outside could also be a router, sounds like double NAT. You need someone with IT skills

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fuser

Have you tried the foscam app? It should work even if you don't have a public up address. I use it for 3 different models and it works great. There should be a q-code to add camera to the app.

Advertisement