Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narcos [Netflix] ***Spoilers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Anyone notice the subtitles being rather glitchy?

Appearing too late into the sentence, flashing in screen for an instant before moving to the next line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Anyone notice the subtitles being rather glitchy?

Appearing too late into the sentence, flashing in screen for an instant before moving to the next line.

Yeah, noticed that too in the later episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 North by Northwest

Started watching this earlier this week, really good so far - apart from the 2015 printer/photocopier they used to copy Murphy's passport in Episode 2. Yes, my guilty past time of spotting flaws ;-)

'Killing Pablo' is a good read for anyone looking to find out some more. It's been a few years now since I read it but I remember the tale of burying all the cash - apparently he had so much, which is kinda frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

'Killing Pablo' is a good read for anyone looking to find out some more. It's been a few years now since I read it but I remember the tale of burying all the cash - apparently he had so much, which is kinda frightening

$60,000,000 a day at his height. $2000 per month on rubber bands and 10% written off due to paper rot (remember Walter White spraying his tiny stash for silverfish).
    A rare redeeming feature of the man was he clocked banks for the crooks they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Started watching this earlier this week, really good so far - apart from the 2015 printer/photocopier they used to copy Murphy's passport in Episode 2. Yes, my guilty past time of spotting flaws ;-)

I just finished ep8 and I'm enthralled by Escobar & the narcos in general. I started that book last night (albiet it's the audiobook read by the author mark bowden)

Horacio Carrillo's (based on Colonel Hugo Martinez which has a good article here on him) relentlessness on bringing down Pablo when all around him are either bribed or killed is gripping.

I agree with others they could have dragged it out longer over a couple seasons but it's still an amazing show

Here are a couple of documentaries on you tube

Pablo Escobar Documentary - The King of Coke :

The true story of killing Pablo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Only issue I have had is the pacing, I think the show is fantastic, but I think they could have got two great seasons out of the Escobar story without rushing and cramming most of it in to one season and filling in the blanks with narration etc.

Were they worried they wouldn't get a second season maybe?

The poor pacing has hindered character development also, other then Pablo we see very little development, even the second lead the DEA guy is very under done considering he is the main character on the law side.

If they correct that for the second season they may just about get enough material to follow the story to its end without feeling bogged down and dragged out and then I imagine the plan is to move on to a new subject matter, plenty of options to follow on from Escobar.

The story is so interesting I feel it could have been done better but it is still one of the best shows I have watched in a couple of years

For anyone interested they might check out the 30 for 30 documentary, The Two Escobars. Very good also

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I loved it too but I spotted that they had a BMW 5 series e39 model (same car as I have) but it was 1990 or something. Those cars came out first in about 1998 I think. The Land Rover Discovery they were driving was more modern that the year the show was set in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Watched this over the past couple of days it was excellent and a great story cant wait for season two it would be nice if they dont drag out the final bit of his life just move onto the next story in the new season straight away.

Anyone got any other good recomendations to watch that are of similar topic to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I initially stopped watching 15 mins into ep 1. Way too much narration to start.

Got back into it a few days later found it good until ep7-10. They really dragged it out, felt like a chore to watch.

They could have easily fit the whole story into ten episodes.

I couldn't see myself watching another ten episodes for the small portion of the story remaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Only issue I have had is the pacing, I think the show is fantastic, but I think they could have got two great seasons out of the Escobar story without rushing and cramming most of it in to one season and filling in the blanks with narration etc.

Were they worried they wouldn't get a second season maybe?

The poor pacing has hindered character development also, other then Pablo we see very little development, even the second lead the DEA guy is very under done considering he is the main character on the law side.

If they correct that for the second season they may just about get enough material to follow the story to its end without feeling bogged down and dragged out and then I imagine the plan is to move on to a new subject matter, plenty of options to follow on from Escobar.

The story is so interesting I feel it could have been done better but it is still one of the best shows I have watched in a couple of years

For anyone interested they might check out the 30 for 30 documentary, The Two Escobars. Very good also

The Two Escobar was absolutely amazing. And as others have said Killing Pablo is a great book. The way I look at it, if you want to be entertained then Narcos is for you. I'd you want to be educated then reading Killing Pablo would be for you. It's one of the rare occasions that I would recommend both the TV series and the book equally..

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    The Two Escobar was absolutely amazing. And as others have said Killing Pablo is a great book. The way I look at it, if you want to be entertained then Narcos is for you. I'd you want to be educated then reading Killing Pablo would be for you. It's one of the rare occasions that I would recommend both the TV series and the book equally..

Yeah I must watch that.
    I found another documentary about Escobar called "Sins of my father"

It's on Netflix as well.

http://www.netflix.com/title/70129384

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Yeah I must watch that.
    I found another documentary about Escobar called "Sins of my father"

It's on Netflix as well.

http://www.netflix.com/title/70129384

I watched this last night, very good. I am gone Escobar mad these days, veruy interesting character. It is told from Escobars sons perspective (and sometimes his wife). On the other side there is the sons of the political leaders that Escobar had killed, now political leaders themselves. Shows the true cost of what went on in Columbia.

bmwguy wrote: »
    I watched this last night, very good. I am gone Escobar mad these days, veruy interesting character. It is told from Escobars sons perspective (and sometimes his wife). On the other side there is the sons of the political leaders that Escobar had killed, now political leaders themselves. Shows the true cost of what went on in Columbia.

Ha ha I'm the same & very intrigued to get a closer look inside his mind with these books or films from a family POV.

The Sinaloa cartel headed by El Chapo Guzmán is another interesting read but he is small time compared to Escobar.

A comparable story would be the Juárez Cartel and its leader Amado Carrilo Feuntes

They say : "As the top drug trafficker in Mexico, Carrillo was transporting four times more cocaine to the U.S. than any other trafficker in the world, building a fortune of over US$25 billion. He was called "El Señor de los Cielos" (The Lord of the Skies) for his pioneering use of over 27 private Boeing 727 jet airliners to transport Colombian cocaine to municipal airports and airstrips around Mexico"

Did anyone else think about how Escobar's son looked like a 50 year old man in the later episodes lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Finished it the other morning. Found this show to be very entertaining throughout. Many of the negatives mentioned here don't concern me. Only thing I would say is that they could possibly have finished Escobars story in the one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have a feeling season 2 will kick off with Escobars death in episode 1 and then move on to the Narcos who took over from him and move on season to season till they get to the bloody and brutal Mexican cartels of today.

I have a feeling season 2 will kick off with Escobars death in episode 1 and then move on to the Narcos who took over from him and move on season to season till they get to the bloody and brutal Mexican cartels of today.

Agreed -it's called Narcos not Escobar for a reason. Many of us could knock out the outline for the end of Pablo's chapter here and now. What came next regarding the Cali cartel, the rise of the Mexican cartels is not so well known. And it is an open ended book with many of the War On Drugs industry figures still alive and in power. There are two industries, Drugs and The War On Drugs brigade. Neither of which has the slightest interest in the other (apart from the importance of narcotics staying illegal).

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Being a Brazilian, I am suspect to speak about Wagner Moura :pac:, but he did an amazing job this first season.

For those who liked his job, check out Elite Squad 1 and Elite Squad 2, he was incredible in both and they are great movies.

^ apparently he learned Spanish for the part - and is now getting complaints from native Spanish speakers for getting the accent wrong. You can't win in this world. We do it ourselves over Irish accents.
    To these subtitle reading ears he is doing a fine job playing a very charming yet deathly cunning man.

^ apparently he learned Spanish for the part - and is now getting complaints from native Spanish speakers for getting the accent wrong. You can't win in this world.

Yeah, I read a lot about it.

I don't know what people expect, spanish is not his first language, so of course he is not going to speak like a Colombian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Thidp wrote: »
    I don't know what people expect, spanish is not his first language, so of course he is not going to speak like a Colombian.

We do it here too. Have a root around for the Sons of Anarchy thread when the Northern Ireland episodes were on or Heroes when it was in Cork. Fun times.

lertsnim wrote: »
    We do it here too. Have a root around for the Sons of Anarchy thread when the Northern Ireland episodes were on or Heroes when it was in Cork. Fun times.

I watched Sons of Anarchy a couple of months after I went back to Brazil from Dublin... for me, the accent was quite convincing :pac:

But I never went to Northern Ireland, so I don't really know if the accent up there is different from the Irish.

^ apparently he learned Spanish for the part - and is now getting complaints from native Spanish speakers for getting the accent wrong. You can't win in this world. We do it ourselves over Irish accents.
    To these subtitle reading ears he is doing a fine job playing a very charming yet deathly cunning man.

That's understandable since they're English speakers. But this guy learned to speak a new language for this role, it's very unrealistic to expect a genuine accent in this case.

Another interesting documentary I found on Netflix is this.

From war photographer Shaul Schwarz comes NARCO CULTURA, an explosive look at the drug cartels' pop culture influence on both sides of the border as experienced by an LA narcocorrido singer dreaming of stardom and a Juarez crime scene investigator on the front line of Mexico's Drug War

It's actually pretty disturbing seeing those killings 1st hand and the fallout for the families left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Just finished tonight, really really good

Im off to find more on escobar, killing pablo up next

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Just finished tonight, really really good

Im off to find more on escobar, killing pablo up next

The two escobars is a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

jayo26 wrote: »
    The two escobars is a must watch.

Watched that a while ago, excellent documentary

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Watched that a while ago, excellent documentary

I only watched it the other night but i remember the 94 world cup clearly and was amazed how all the players tied in with what was going on.

Just finished it there.

Better than the metacritic score id say(about 75 which while not bad is about 10 less than my score).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭squonk

I started it on Thursday and was hooked straight away. I had to step away over the weekend but finished it up over Sunday evening and last night. The series is absolutely spectacular. The story is about as compelling as you'll get. It's crazy that it's mostly true. It's like watchng a real life Walter White. Some of it rang true to our own little corner of the world too. I found it easy to relate to the politicians and the people given Pablo's narco terrorism. Some of it felt like something we cold have been seeing here only with the IRA replacing Pablo. For me that just made the series even better.

They did burn through the story but I found that really refreshing. If it was dragged out a bit more I'm sure I'd have been off to Wikipedia to look up the various characters and their fates so it would have ruined the story anyway. As was it just rocketed along and I was kept completely entertained. I'm guessing that Pacho and the Cali cartel ar up next for Season 2 once Pablo meets his fate.

It seems we all noticed different inconsistencies with some of the props used on the show and their era. For me, the planes depicted all had winglets. They didn't come in until the late 90's so they weren't footage of aircraft from the time. I thought that photocopier in episode 2 looked a bit modern alright but I'm not too well up on my photocopiers. The BMW irked me too but by that stage I'd lost track of what year it was.

I ended up being blown away by the scene between Pablo and his mother after Vustavo's death. It was a standout moment for me and the acting was just flawless. I'm amazed Wagner Moura isn't Colombian! I hadn't seen him before so was sure he was a native actor. I'm totally blown away but I could see how it would irk Colombians if his accent isn't up to scratch. He's nailing it though.

This series alone is worth the netflix subscription for a few months. They're making great stuff at the moment.

Advertisement