Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narcos [Netflix] ***Spoilers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Quality season again. I actually found the second season a step up from the first. Loads of storylines still there for a few more seasons now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I agree a great second season and moving on now to the Cali Cartel which is probably a more interesting/complex story to tell all round compared to the Escobar story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just finished it there now... agree with the above - it was a great second season and noticeably better than the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

All done, wow
    kind of felt sorry for Pablo in the end, I mean he did murder a zillion people but all for what? crime doesn't pay kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I can't read anything in here because I have a few episodes to watch but has anyone else been annoyed this season by how badly done some of the subtitles are? Several times per episode the first line in a scene pops up for a fraction of a second and is unreadable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Jayop wrote: »
    I can't read anything in here because I have a few episodes to watch but has anyone else been annoyed this season by how badly done some of the subtitles are? Several times per episode the first line in a scene pops up for a fraction of a second and is unreadable.

There were some definite time lapses, and there seemed to be times when some dialogue didnt appear at all. The picture was perfect HD, so don't think it was anything to do with broadband speed.

That aside, thoroughly enjoyed the second season.
    Moura was superb. The third season, while it will have new guys to focus on, will struggle to replace the sizeable hole left by him/Escobar.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for two more seasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watched most of it over the weekend, left the finale until last night. Good, but I find it slightly strange as a show and I can't really pinpoint why. My memory of the first season is quite vague.

The walls were closing in since 2.01. I've enjoyed the incremental intel gathering. It was a little like Zero Dark Thirty in that respect. Escobar himself was a ruthless individual - a disgusting one at that. No qualms about using bombs. There were really only two characters I liked - Colonel Carrillo and Agent Peña. You're not supposed to like people in this show, I hear you cry. And it was niggling at me slightly how it felt like each episode seemed to end on the same note, bar 2.10, obviously.

All things said, I enjoyed the general set up and execution of the finale -
    the last meal, the false initial hunt, etc.

I'll be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Finished it a few days ago but tbh, I was a little disappointed with it compared to Season 1. I do want to state that this is a relative statement as it is still of a very high standard and far, far better than most things on tv right now.

Wagner Moura and Pedro Pascal are the real stars of this for me, Boyd Hollybrook just seems a little "light" to me by comparison. The rest of the Narcos simply aren't as interesting by comparison (I've read a lot about Escobar in particular, but also some of the other protagonists). The show isn't wholly accurate either, but I guess that's a minor quibble as they largely stick to the known/extablished narrative. Losing Escobar/Moura however will be a massive hole to fill, that's some pretty heavy shoes to fill character wise and tbh I fear for it a little.

I'd give it an 8.5/10 for the two seasons combined thus far, with S1 scoring higher for me.

Just seen episode 4 of season 2
    Cant believe Carillo is dead :( i was hoping he'd be the one to finish that b@stard Escobar

• Advertisement

Just reading the thread again. For those of you new to subtitles (I'm not judging!) try French series "Spiral" (5 series) and "Braquo" (3 Series), "The Killing" (Danish, 3 Series), The Bridge (Sedish/Danish, 3 series to date, more on the way), Gomorrah (Italian, 2 seasons to date) and Romanzo Criminale (Italian, 2 seasons)

I see someone recommended "Borgen". I loved it, but it's very slow in comparison to say Narcos.

Just about to start episode 8 but got a great laugh at
    Pena taunting Quica over the phone. Another funny scene with Blacky's missus father telling her to shut up and take the money

Finished it there tonight. Love the way they mix the real footage with the scenes especially the rooftop picture of the real Murphy and the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Guys is one of the American cops can't remember his name the blonde hair fella, is he related to Ryan gosling because he's the head of him.

Anyway love Narcos.

fin12 wrote: »
    Guys is one of the American cops can't remember his name the blonde hair fella, is he related to Ryan gosling because he's the head of him.

Anyway love Narcos.

Boyd Holbrook is the actors name. Your right he is very like Ryan Gosling. Was previously in Hatfield and McCoy with Kevin Costner if i recall

There will be a massive Wagner Moura size hole to fill going forward. He played Escobar with such presence and distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

There will be a massive Wagner Moura size hole to fill going forward. He played Escobar with such presence and distinction.

It's kinda hard to explain but the reason escobar seems so likeable in the first series was because Wagner was so good and in the second season he was even better but I found myself hating escobar.

Everytime I watched the start of each episode when it showed escobar having the Craic on the bikes and your thinking How is this man so evil but Wagner had no problem making you believe how evil he was.

That probably sounds like a load of sh1t ha can't really explain what I mean but he is a fantastic actor.

jayo26 wrote: »
    It's kinda hard to explain but the reason escobar seems so likeable in the first series was because Wagner was so good and in the second season he was even better but I found myself hating escobar.

Everytime I watched the start of each episode when it showed escobar having the Craic on the bikes and your thinking How is this man so evil but Wagner had no problem making you believe how evil he was.

That probably sounds like a load of sh1t ha can't really explain what I mean but he is a fantastic actor.

He was a very multilayered person going by Wagner's portrayal. He could go from calm to raging psycho in the blink of an eye but had certain traits that were the polar opposite of the person that was capable of the awful atrocities he committed.

I was dreading the worst when i seen him with
    the child's rabbit
    toward the end but it appears that one of his rare good points is that he had some compassion for animals. For example in the first season,
    he was horrified when Gaucho shot his sniffer dog. Escobar was slagging him that he had been duped into buying a dud and then Gaucho being Gaucho just wasted the dog to the horror of Escobar

He just wasn't as compassionate when it came to humans other than his own family.

Anyway love Narcos.

Gosling is Canadian btw!

Boyd Holbrook (Murphy) was a model first. Not all conventionally good looking people are related though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Excellent series

Season 2 finished brilliantly and a great swerve going with the Cali Cartel and Penna

• Advertisement

Getting the impression that the Cali cartel are a more discreet bunch than Pablo and co who were led by a megalomaniac and thought they were invincible

The head of the Cali crowd was a legitimate CEO

Gosling is Canadian btw!

Boyd Holbrook (Murphy) was a model first. Not all conventionally good looking people are related though. ;)

The cop in the show is American, so don't understand your point about saying Ryan Gosling is Canadian, and also who brought up good looks I said he looks so similar to Ryan Gosling.

The cop in the show is American, so don't understand your point about saying Ryan Gosling is Canadian, and also who brought up good looks I said he looks so similar to Ryan Gosling.

Bit of an over-reaction there? Ah....

Anyway love Narcos.

By most female (and indeed male) standards Ryan Gosling would be considered a good-looking man. You asked were they related and asserted they were very alike looks wise, so it's not exactly a massive stretch to say if you think they look alike therefore Holbrook is also good-looking -a fact that his former-life as a model would also validate.

You also brought up the nationality btw.

I wasn't being sarcastic or having a go, I was merely pointing something out. Genuine question: are you always this defensive?

Bit of an over-reaction there? Ah....

By most female (and indeed male) standards Ryan Gosling would be considered a good-looking man. You asked were they related and asserted they were very alike looks wise, so it's not exactly a massive stretch to say if you think they look alike therefore Holbrook is also good-looking -a fact that his former-life as a model would also validate.

You also brought up the nationality btw.

I wasn't being sarcastic or having a go, I was merely pointing something out. Genuine question: are you always this defensive?

Sorry I don't think I understood your reply, sorry about that, I did think u were being sarcastic but I know now u weren't, sorry.I brought up nationality because I couldn't remember the cops name in it so was saying he was the American cop to describe him anyway sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

Really enjoyed both seasons and look forward to the 3rd but it'll be hard to top.

The one thing that bugs me however is the easiest way to find out where he was hiding is to follow his lawyer and the way he escaped from sticky situations made the cops come across as fairly amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Just finished this last night, what a season. It was even better than season 1, raging now I don't have anymore episodes to watch..tried to drag it out all week by watching 2 at a time!

My favourite character is Colonel Carillo. He is just brilliant
    Another huge loss to the show

This article sums him up
    http://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/what-a-character-why-frasier-crane-from-frasier-is-a-tv-great-2/559413

Interesting that Moura's Escobar could be the cordial gentleman to ladies with prams, or ordinary people and yet rage this war of terror when he didnt get his own way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The two old guys who toast their beers to each other in the bar scene with Pena in the last episode are actually Murphy and Pena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great series, much much better and tighter than Series 1 imo.
    The head of the Cali Cartel looks like sufficient interest for a 3rd series. Keep her rolling there Collette.

Advertisement