Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Narcos [Netflix] ***Spoilers ****

Options

Comments

Great series, much much better and tighter than Series 1 imo.
    The head of the Cali Cartel looks like sufficient interest for a 3rd series. Kepp her rolling there Collette.

Cali were a different show to Medellin completely. Went about things as discreetly as possible. Happy to keep waters running smooth with little fuss and had no interest in the limelight unlike the Meglomaniac Escobar

• Registered Users Posts: 68,538 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Cali were a different show to Medellin completely. Went about things as discreetly as possible. Happy to keep waters running smooth with little fuss and had no interest in the limelight unlike the Meglomaniac Escobar

Don't be revealing the plot! :)

Yeh, I understand that, but he is a good character and should be interesting in a different way.

Don't be revealing the plot! :)

Yeh, I understand that, but he is a good character and should be interesting in a different way.

Not really revealing much by my statement tbf. Just contrasting the traits of two groups that were in the same rival business. Murphy even gives an analogy on this early in Season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭trashcan

Have two episodes to go and enjoying it immensely, Best TV I've seen since the Wire, and I can give no higher praise than that. At this stage, and given that I more or less know what is going to happen, I'm not sure about a third season though.

trashcan wrote: »
    Have two episodes to go and enjoying it immensely, Best TV I've seen since the Wire, and I can give no higher praise than that. At this stage, and given that I more or less know what is going to happen, I'm not sure about a third season though.

Its great TV ill certainly agree and is one of the top shows that i've come across. But in my honest opinion it will never come near the genius of David Simon's creation. Quite possibly the most remarkable piece of television ever. Every character is as defined with all the glory of a Caravaggio painting.

• Advertisement

Its great TV ill certainly agree and is one of the top shows that i've come across. But in my honest opinion it will never come near the genius of David Simon's creation. Quite possibly the most remarkable piece of television ever. Every character is as defined with all the glory of a Caravaggio painting.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely about the Wire. I wasn't saying Narcos is as good. Like you I think the Wire is pretty much untouchable. But of what I've seen since, Narcos is probably top of the pile. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul were/are very good too.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely about the Wire. I wasn't saying Narcos is as good. Like you I think the Wire is pretty much untouchable. But of what I've seen since, Narcos is probably top of the pile. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul were/are very good too.

Underbelly is quite good too believe it or not. Season 1-3 were brilliant and season 5 wasnt bad either. Season 4 and 6 went too far back for me to care. The one off films are good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Never seen the wire I just add it to my favourite on kodi I may have a look

jayo26 wrote: »
    Never seen the wire I just add it to my favourite on kodi I may have a look

Oh be sure that you do. its excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Loved that season, like how it's going to go on to other aspects of the drugs trade.

• Advertisement

Well, have finished it now and it was excellent. Parts of me thinks they should do a Bill O'Herlihy and leave it there though. Just not sure it will work without Escobar. I've been googling bits and pieces sine I finished it and it seems that agents Murphy and Pena were not really involved in the case against the Cali cartel, so if they go with the two leads into the next series it will be moving into the realms of fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well, have finished it now and it was excellent. Parts of me thinks they should do a Bill O'Herlihy and leave it there though. Just not sure it will work without Escobar. I've been googling bits and pieces sine I finished it and it seems that agents Murphy and Pena were not really involved in the case against the Cali cartel, so if they go with the two leads into the next series it will be moving into the realms of fiction.

This would be my worry.. the whole show has been based around Escobar and without him I can't see it working anywhere near as well TBH, which is a credit really to the outstanding performance by Wagner Moura but a problem for the series IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Great series. They should leave it be at the two seasons and move onto something else alright.

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but the actual DEA agents themselves pop up in the last episode. Very briefly.

Edit: the two of them are sat together and toast as they watch a basketball game in a bar.

Great series. They should leave it be at the two seasons and move onto something else alright.

I dunno, Im keeping an open mind to future series to be honest and will tune in with interest. Colombia has been in the news this week and the nations story goes way way beyond even Escobar. There has been civil unrest there since the 50s or so because you have more than likely a government who represents the elite and the poor are increasingly marginalised.

Escobar basically was one of the many bandids who capitalised on the vulnerable position of the nation in terms of being able to mass produce narcotics in the relative seclusion of the Amazon forest and because he could relate to poverty, he played the disillusioned and impoverished people in slums like a fiddle.

The law enforcement within Colombia had to deal with both Marxist groups, and Narcos (you could draw an integrated venn diagram to represent both of those groups) over many decades.

I dunno, Im keeping an open mind to future series to be honest and will tune in with interest. Colombia has been in the news this week and the nations story goes way way beyond even Escobar. There has been civil unrest there since the 50s or so because you have more than likely a government who represents the elite and the poor are increasingly marginalised.

Escobar basically was one of the many bandids who capitalised on the vulnerable position of the nation in terms of being able to mass produce narcotics in the relative seclusion of the Amazon forest and because he could relate to poverty, he played the disillusioned and impoverished people in slums like a fiddle.

The law enforcement within Colombia had to deal with both Marxist groups, and Narcos (you could draw an integrated venn diagram to represent both of those groups) over many decades.

Suppose. That would be interesting to watch alright with the CIA being touched upon at the end of the 2nd series it could be a direction to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look pic at season 3 which has just started filming.

https://twitter.com/NarcosNetflix/status/786203411519672321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    The blow must go on. Pablo might be dead but the war is not over. Season 3 of #Narcos has begun filming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Almost looks like he's taken the presidency...

Almost looks like he's taken the presidency...

CIA must have looked after him
    for doing favours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Just finished Season 2.

Enjoyed it but it did feel like they blew their load a bit in Season 1. But they made some good choices, such as having more Pená and less Murphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Finished it too. It was really good. I really don't see how they can make it as good without him but I will still watch.

Was looking on ticketmaster today and I seen that the real Murphy and Pena are coming to Vicar Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Is the worry that now Season 3 is just moving into fiction? As far as I'm aware, neither of the DEA agents had anything to do with the other cartels there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

Is the worry that now Season 3 is just moving into fiction? As far as I'm aware, neither of the DEA agents had anything to do with the other cartels there.

There was a fair amount of fiction in the first two seasons so that would not make a difference to viewers of the first two seasons I think. I enjoyed the first two seasons but it was spoiled a little for me by the amount of dramatic license taken by the writers.
    I know they kind of had to do that to make it watchable as even though Escobar had a very eventful and violent life, if they stuck just to the facts it might not have been as exciting to watch.
    I suppose I only noticed the made-up bits more because I started reading Mark Bowden's book Killing Pablo when I finished season two. One thing that wasn't in Narcos though is any reference to Pablo's sexual interest in teenage girls. It is mentioned in Killing Pablo that his favourite sexual partners were teenage virgins.
    I presume it wasn't included because it isn't such a palatable thing for a television series. It seems a bit of a cop-out by the writers though.

Edit: I also found Boyd Holbrook's drawling voice-overs a little annoying. Maybe he talks in a drawling voice anyway (I've never heard him talk in an interview) but he seemed to be overdoing it a little.

lukin wrote: »
    There was a fair amount of fiction in the first two seasons so that would not make a difference to viewers of the first two seasons I think. I enjoyed the first two seasons but it was spoiled a little for me by the amount of dramatic license taken by the writers.
    I know they kind of had to do that to make it watchable as even though Escobar had a very eventful and violent life, if they stuck just to the facts it might not have been as exciting to watch.
    I suppose I only noticed the made-up bits more because I started reading Mark Bowden's book Killing Pablo when I finished season two. One thing that wasn't in Narcos though is any reference to Pablo's sexual interest in teenage girls. It is mentioned in Killing Pablo that his favourite sexual partners were teenage virgins.
    I presume it wasn't included because it isn't such a palatable thing for a television series. It seems a bit of a cop-out by the writers though.

Edit: I also found Boyd Holbrook's drawling voice-overs a little annoying. Maybe he talks in a drawling voice anyway (I've never heard him talk in an interview) but he seemed to be overdoing it a little.

I also read Killing Pablo after finishing the series. To be honest my reaction was the opposite to yours. I take it for granted that writers take lots of dramatic licence when adapting "true"stories. I was pleasantly surprised at how closely they stuck to most of the major plot points (I take you point about the sexual interest in teenagers, but I don't think it distorted the story too much to leave that out. The major change was probably inventing him Killing off the main army officer who was after him, which never happened. They also probably bugged up the American role in the whole thing, for obvious reasons. Most of the main points of his rise and ultimate fall seem to have been close enough to me though.

On another note, anybody go to Vicar St, to see Murphy and Pena ? Any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

While a great series, I was disappointed with how far they veered from fact for a lot of scenes. It was a bit irritating to watch at times.

Looking forward to how they held the Cali cartel story, one season should cover that story unless they fictionalise a lot of it. Hopefully they stay true to fact for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭lukin

jester77 wrote: »
    While a great series, I was disappointed with how far they veered from fact for a lot of scenes. It was a bit irritating to watch at times.
    Yeah, they made up a load of stuff:
    1. Pablo executing the non-existent Colonel Carillo.
    2. Pablo's brother in-law getting killed leaving one of the safe houses while Pablo was on the run
    3. The bomb at the wedding
    4. Pablo's cousin Gustavo being executed by relatives of some of the people he had killed. No proof this happened.
    5. Pablo beating a guy to death with a pool cue in La Catedral. Again no proof this happened.
    6. Pablo's mother going to mass on Christmas eve and getting tailed which resulted in a shoot-out and escape from the safe-house. Never happened.

• Advertisement

Season 3 drops September 1st

Advertisement