Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung led TV 42"+

Options
  • 25-06-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

In the market for a new TV. Ideally a Samsung as I like the brand integration like watching a video on your phone which can be sent direct to the TV etc. I have seen the Argos/power city offers but just wondering is there an offer or deal I've missed that the wise and wonderful Boardsies have spotted.

Cheers friends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know you said you had the Argos offers but this telly is a cracking piece of kit. As good as you will get for the money Id think.

I have the 42LN540V version of it which is a wee bit older I think but I couldnt fault it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

muffler wrote: »
    I know you said you had the Argos offers but this telly is a cracking piece of kit. As good as you will get for the money Id think.

I have the 42LN540V version of it which is a wee bit older I think but I couldnt fault it.

I am also looking for a new TV. I am not very tech savvy. Do you mind me asking why this is a "cracking piece of kit" (in simple terms)?

I am also looking for a new TV. I am not very tech savvy. Do you mind me asking why this is a "cracking piece of kit" (in simple terms)?
    First of all its a good brand name and normally very reliable. Very easy to set up...plug in, follow the menu/scan and Bob's your uncle

The picture quality is excellent and there are numerous optional settings for adjusting the picture and sound so it will be sure to suit everyone.

You need to check the actual specs for this model but Im assuming its a newer version of the one I have and it comes with a couple of HDMI ports which is very important as most people will have a blueray or dvd player connected together with a satellite dish.

It has built in satellite and freeview/saorview tuners and a usb port. On the issue of the usb port I only last night downloaded a film on to the PC, copied it to a USB stick and then put the usb stick in the back of the telly and sat and watched my movie with a very good quality picture and sound.

It has energy saving settings and a whole host of other settings that I never got round to looking at yet.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks!

And is it good value at €364.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

This looks like a decent Spector the money. However I also plan to be TV shopping in the next few months, and considering I want to have this TV for the next 10 years or so, I want to make it a future proof as possible. This means I will be looking for a smart TV. This means the TV has wifi and internet connections. Not only will I be able to access online players such as rte player, Netflix etc, it will be able to connect to a wifi enabled hard drive where I keep any movies. This means it's just a case of accessing the movies with my remote. There are devices to allow you to do this already, but I would like mine inbuilt.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

And is it good value at €364.99?
    I think its good value but then again Im not an expert on these things although I have bought a few tv's over the years and regarding this set I have to say I'm a happy customer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

it's showing at e420 now?

it's showing at e420 now?

Damn!

Any other TV bargains out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

This looks like a decent Spector the money. However I also plan to be TV shopping in the next few months, and considering I want to have this TV for the next 10 years or so, I want to make it a future proof as possible. This means I will be looking for a smart TV. This means the TV has wifi and internet connections. Not only will I be able to access online players such as rte player, Netflix etc, it will be able to connect to a wifi enabled hard drive where I keep any movies. This means it's just a case of accessing the movies with my remote. There are devices to allow you to do this already, but I would like mine inbuilt.

Modern Tvs arent designed to last 10 years.. please dont go in expecting this.. 3 years of relevance if you buy top spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Most informative article - original poster wants a Samsung - then a post quoting a Model number without the Manufactured Name.

An LG I presume.

ssmith6287 wrote:
    Modern Tvs arent designed to last 10 years.. please dont go in expecting this.. 3 years of relevance if you buy top spec

What do you mean 3 years of relevance. A TV needs to be seriously shoddy if it lasts 3 years

No doubt the box will last longer then 3 years. but it will be out of date and chances are the will advances like usb-c that are coming now that wont be compatible. Similar to Moores law. Every 2 years you get twice the power, half in size or half in price. If your buying a 400€ tv now, you can guarentee its out dated already. but be realistic. you are not gonna get near the logevity out of a modern tv that you would have gotten from an old tube telly

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    That's a load of nonsense

That's a load of nonsense

Do tell?

Which brand advertises longevity?? Modern technology is disposable technology, as in you buy it, you use it, you throw it away because its of no value. TV's last as long as you are prepared to fall behind technology which moves extremely quickly. Very few people use tech until it breaks or stops working anymore

Do tell?

Which brand advertises longevity?? Modern technology is disposable technology, as in you buy it, you use it, you throw it away because its of no value. TV's last as long as you are prepared to fall behind technology which moves extremely quickly. Very few people use tech until it breaks or stops working anymore
    Its one thing to say that TVs can lag behind in the technology end of things but to say that they arent built to last is a complete falsehood.

Any electrical or technical product will naturally remain in the state in which they are manufactured so I fail to see why you even alluded to this. The statement seem to suggest that people were ignorant and not aware of this point.

But to the point at hand....most TVs will have a lifespan of anything from 5 to 10 years and to suggest otherwise is foolish.

5 to 10 years.... what's that based on?

5 to 10 years.... what's that based on?
    30+ years of experience and if you want to ask any further questions then do so by other means please without derailing the thread any further.

30+ years of 4 year old technology ..... :rolleyes:

this is the problem with this country, its people with absolutely irrelevant "experience" that come up with these opinions that things should last x amount of time

back in my day kinda bs. there is no comparision from a modern day tv to one that was even out 5 years ago, never mind 30.

All I said was don't be expecting 10 years out of a tv built today. It's you that went off on side track

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

ssmith6287 wrote:
    All I said was don't be expecting 10 years out of a tv built today. It's you that went off on side track

What are you basing your opinion on ? Your experience perhaps ? How do you know a TV bought today won't last 10 years ...none of us do ! We can only base it on our past experience of TVs. I have a ten year old LCD TV still going strong. I would be rather disappointed if I bought an expensive bang up to date TV today and it gave up in 4 years.

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote:
    No doubt the box will last longer then 3 years. but it will be out of date and chances are the will advances like usb-c that are coming now that wont be compatible. Similar to Moores law. Every 2 years you get twice the power, half in size or half in price. If your buying a 400€ tv now, you can guarentee its out dated already. but be realistic. you are not gonna get near the logevity out of a modern tv that you would have gotten from an old tube telly

My latest TV is not a tube and its 10 years old. It's a Samsung lad TV bought in 2005 with hd. I don't have experience with TVs other than watching them, and I know I'll be going for a Samsung again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It has built in satellite and freeview/saorview tuners and a usb port.

Not seeing a Sat tuner mentioned anywhere in the specs.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Not seeing a Sat tuner mentioned anywhere in the specs.
    Please read my full post and dont selectively quote one part of it out of context. Thanks

....so any bargains out there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

While a TV will/should last, as in be in usable condition, for about 10 years that guy is right about TVs being outdated so quickly nowadays. It's an awkward time for TVs now too because of the gradual move towards 4K so within 5 years any 1080p TV bought now will be well outdated and become a 'might as well put it in the kitchen or spare bedroom' set. Smart TV functions are also improving very fast so a TV bought now, even with future updates, is going to be inadequate regardless due to hardware restrictions because honestly the only smart TVs worth buying are the top spec models, and even they can still be considered gimmicks for the moment.

A games console or android/fire/Chromecast/appleTV etc. are much better, smart TV functionality shouldn't even really be a deciding factor in buying a TV unless you're spending a lot of money on one of the new top spec releases. Samsung are doing it right regarding this because they're making some TVs that allow you to upgrade the hardware for their smart TV which would definitely help offput obsolescence for longer.

It's an awkward time for TVs now too because of the gradual move towards 4K so within 5 years any 1080p TV bought now will be well outdated and become a 'might as well put it in the kitchen or spare bedroom' set.

Well if TVs only last 3 years as was stated earlier then we'll all be in line for a new one anyway so happy days. HD Has been standard in the USA and Japan since the 90s and eventually reached Europe. It's going nowhere for a long time. 4k only works to the full extent if it's been filmed in 4k, something which you pretty much only see in TV showrooms as promotional films

Advertisement