Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum Justitia

Options
  • 25-06-2015 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

I have an outstanding Vodafone bill of about 160 euro (Was living in Germany for 3 months, low on money etc). Today I paid 153 euro (which is all the money I have), of that bill to Vodafone. I contacted Vodafone hoping that an arrangement could be made and that this would be enough. I spoke to two different people and they both told me that I would have to deal with Intrum Justitia, a debt collection agency. I have received a letter from them on Monday asking for 190 euro, which I found curious.
    Why do I have to speak to Intrum Justitia? Where are they getting the extra 30 euro from? Why can't I just pay Vodafone?

Thanks for reading, any advice would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pay Vodafone the €7 and tell the other crowd the debt is paid. Not sure of the legal ins and outs, but I did this with a Bord Gais bill before. I switched to EI and within days a letter from a debt agency arrived at my door for the outstanding amount. They rang me, I told them I was paying BG directly, they said I couldn't do that, I did it anyway and once the debt was paid I never heard from them again.

If people can avoid paying these scummy agencies and pay the debt to teh original company hopefully the debt agencies don't get paid and go out of business. Hopefully they all end up destitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jayop wrote: »
    Pay Vodafone the €7 and tell the other crowd the debt is paid. Not sure of the legal ins and outs, but I did this with a Bord Gais bill before. I switched to EI and within days a letter from a debt agency arrived at my door for the outstanding amount. They rang me, I told them I was paying BG directly, they said I couldn't do that, I did it anyway and once the debt was paid I never heard from them again.

If people can avoid paying these scummy agencies and pay the debt to teh original company hopefully the debt agencies don't get paid and go out of business. Hopefully they all end up destitute.

Or people could just pay their bills or live within their means.

Typical boards reply is typical.

God forbid you ever lose your job or run into unforseen circumstances through sickness or some other event that causes you to miss a payment or two.

I've only ever lived within my means, but sometimes what comes in just can't cover what goes out if something comes up like a redundancy where I had to wait 9 months to get my due wages

Nice one on the judgementalism (is that a word?) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, the poster isn't advocating not paying debt. He's advocating paying back the original company rather than the debt collection agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Has anyone told him not to pay the bill? Telecoms are the biggest offenders when it comes to consumer detriment in this country and quite often people have debt collectors chasing them for money that they are disputing. It happened to me twice and I will be damned if I am going to pay money that they had no legal basis for charging me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 g.a.b.e.

I had this problem with Meteor. I was charged €280 because "apparently" I went over my limit on a €20p/m wifi stick.

I got many letters from different debt collection agencies including the one you have named.

It must be about 5 years now since this happened and I have not heard from them in about 2 years.

They are just hoping to scare you into paying. <SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi

I have an outstanding Vodafone bill of about 160 euro (Was living in Germany for 3 months, low on money etc). Today I paid 153 euro (which is all the money I have), of that bill to Vodafone. I contacted Vodafone hoping that an arrangement could be made and that this would be enough. I spoke to two different people and they both told me that I would have to deal with Intrum Justitia, a debt collection agency. I have received a letter from them on Monday asking for 190 euro, which I found curious.
    Why do I have to speak to Intrum Justitia? Where are they getting the extra 30 euro from? Why can't I just pay Vodafone?

Thanks for reading, any advice would be welcome

Do not engage at all with the debt collection agency as you have no contract or dealings with them. Pay your debt directly to Vodafone and ignore all communication from the debt collectors.

dudara wrote: »
    To be fair, the poster isn't advocating not paying debt. He's advocating paying back the original company rather than the debt collection agency.
    Lux23 wrote: »
    Has anyone told him not to pay the bill? Telecoms are the biggest offenders when it comes to consumer detriment in this country and quite often people have debt collectors chasing them for money that they are disputing. It happened to me twice and I will be damned if I am going to pay money that they had no legal basis for charging me.

I wasnt replying to the OP but to a paragraph in the reply i quoted. Thanks though.

I wasnt replying to the OP but to a paragraph in the reply i quoted. Thanks though.

You go girl. Those poor credit collection agencies get a bad rap and need someone defending them.

Jayop wrote: »
    You go girl. Those poor credit collection agencies get a bad rap and need someone defending them.

Thanks hun! Maybe if people also paid their bills etc then there may not be a need for them, but hey lets not suggest something so outrageous, for fear of hurting your feelings hun.

For the record i wasnt working for over a year and i cut my cloth accordingly, no more subscription channels and less nights out. Off topic so i'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Thanks hun! Maybe if people also paid their bills etc then there may not be a need for them, but hey lets not suggest something so outrageous, for fear of hurting your feelings hun.

For the record i wasnt working for over a year and i cut my cloth accordingly, no more subscription channels and less nights out. Off topic so i'll leave it at that.

You didn't reply to my earlier post. The one I said that unforseen circumstances can leave people forced to choose between eating and paying the esb. If someone racks up debt buying shoes or on nights out then by all means be judgemental, but your comment was a disgrace given how many people are on the bread line in this country.

You're potentially only two months away from bring homeless. That's the reality, but you carry on preaching about how people should live inside their means.

I'll give you a hypothetical which is realistic, possibly true.

Person on minimum wage, 2 kids, car breaks down, needs to fix to get to work, child has to see doctor, no medical card. Bill comes in for something like a phone. Do you pay the bill or put food on the table and bring child to the doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mode note: how about we focus on assisting the OP rather than on how one gets into such a situation. OK?

Advertisement