Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Dublin October 24th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Davei141 wrote: »
    That is a great fight. It's Madadi's first fight back since going to prison for armed robbery :pac:.

Yeah surprised he wasn't given the chop for that :-) How long since the Johnson fight? 2 years? Great chance for Parke I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

He was innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

califano wrote: »
    He was innocent

Jeez didn't know that! Just remember him being sent down! Bloody awful in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

He was innocent

No he wasn't. It was pretty obvious from his MMA hour interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

To be honest with you lads, I'm actually liking the line up so far. Ok, it might be predictable to have a lot of homegrown fighters on the card but I'm bloody delighted that we have so many of our own competing on the highest stage of MMA when for so long we had nobody on the verge of breaking through.

It's going to be well over a year since many made their UFC debut last July and we're now getting to see these fighters hone their skills against bigger and better fighters and a lot has happened since then for Irish MMA.

It's going to be an absolutely stellar atmosphere and I can't wait to see how this leg of the journey plays out.

Call it blind optimism but I have high hopes for this card.

Also... I'm waiting for the obligatory Ilir Latifi call up. He's one of the fighters I've seen most live but I can't remember any of his fights... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

That_Guy wrote: »

Also... I'm waiting for the obligatory Ilir Latifi call up. He's one of the fighters I've seen most live but I can't remember any of his fights... :pac:

Prob won't get it now he's cracked the rankings. Some possibly useless info the chap he KO'd in Dublin is actually fighting on the Nashville card this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Good fight added. Get match ups for Amirkhani and Bektic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They (Australia) also have numerous mid to large size open aired stadiums between the cricket grounds and AFL and Rugby stadiums and it will be summer over there then too so no issues with weather like we'd be faced with. Still though, kinda feels like we get a bit of a bum deal.

This is something i guess i never took into consideration really, makes a lot of sense though. They are not going to invest in a massive card they can't recoup on through PPV numbers and you're right there will never be a 5am show over here. However i do think if they put a massive card on with McGregor and another title fight they would do well at the gate with people coming from all over Europe which would soften the blow plus i still think there would be enough interest to generate decent PPV numbers in the states too.

Australian events are always on Sunday afternoon. The exact same time as US PPV events. So nothing is disrupted.
    They have Etihad stadium reserved, 50,000 people. They could easily fill it. It has a roof if needed.
    I see this event as payback for the raw deal over the last few years. (Poor fight night cards).

The gate on a stadium show just isn't worth that much, compared to PPV numbers. The set up cost are huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor wrote: »
    Australian events are always on Sunday afternoon. The exact same time as US PPV events. So nothing is disrupted.
    They have Etihad stadium reserved, 50,000 people. They could easily fill it. It has a roof if needed.
    I see this event as payback for the raw deal over the last few years. (Poor fight night cards).

The gate on a stadium show just isn't worth that much, compared to PPV numbers. The set up cost are huge.

I reckon a Dublin stadium will happen, just not next year, if he beats aldo in texas I reckon then he is kept back until ufc 200 which will he in vegas(will the UFCs own arena be ready by Then?). To maximise hype and sales, if he wins that I still reckon he has another us defense possibly Edgar, and if he wins that it puts the hype train so over the top, that he has the juice to demand a stadium show in Dublin, so my guess is 2017

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I reckon a Dublin stadium will happen, just not next year, if he beats aldo in texas I reckon then he is kept back until ufc 200 which will he in vegas(will the UFCs own arena be ready by Then?). To maximise hype and sales, if he wins that I still reckon he has another us defense possibly Edgar, and if he wins that it puts the hype train so over the top, that he has the juice to demand a stadium show in Dublin, so my guess is 2017

You think he'll still be fighting at featherweight after Aldo?

Saipanne wrote: »
    You think he'll still be fighting at featherweight after Aldo?

I reckon ufc will want to keep him there, and I know this will get me some heat but while I reckon he would be a top ten, I don't think he would even get near the top 5 in lightweight let alone title. Just my opinion though.

If he beats Aldo he absolutely fights at UFC200. Either Aldo rematch or Frankie. It'll be in the new arena (it's not the ufc's though, the MGM owns it).
    After all of that, dublin city council might have realised how much a stadium event is worth and will have made conditions a bit more favourable for the UFC (later finish).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Stadium events have been going on for ages here, big stars playing them too, I can't see the rules being changed for the UFC

Mellor wrote: »
    If he beats Aldo he absolutely fights at UFC200. Either Aldo rematch or Frankie. It'll be in the new arena (it's not the ufc's though, the MGM owns it).
    After all of that, dublin city council might have realised how much a stadium event is worth and will have made conditions a bit more favourable for the UFC (later finish).

I'd be interested to see what fight night Scotland did vs the average USA fight night, just to benchmark how many views it lost, obviously it's not a direct representation of ppv numbers but could be a useful indicator, if there isn't a huge difference in numbers maybe a massive gate could actually make up the shortfall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Stadium events have been going on for ages here, big stars playing them too, I can't see the rules being changed for the UFC

No, not a hope.

• Advertisement

None of the big stars playing a stadium wanted the curfew changed afaik

Saipanne wrote: »
    No, not a hope.

Yeah no chance, imagine the croke Park residents association vs the decision makers though the brawl would beat any ufc numbered event, we could even get rogan to commentate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can't remember One Direction ever wanting to have their gig kick off at 3am!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Im nearly sure I read something to do with sporting events not falling under the same category / restrictions as concerts when it comes to Croke Park as sport is what it's intended for in the first place, the residents would still have a field day complaining though & I just cant see the council/govt allowing it

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Im nearly sure I read something to do with sporting events not falling under the same category / restrictions as concerts when it comes to Croke Park as sport is what it's intended for in the first place, the residents would still have a field day complaining though & I just cant see the council/govt allowing it

That's a something that's been suggested, that the UFC doesn't come under the limited "special events" per year as its ultimately sport. But that's not the real issue, there's a 10 pm curfew on both the stadiums regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DK224

Image_1.jpg

Bubba Bush v Garreth McLellan added to UFC Dublin.......i don't know either guy and neither does Wikipedia!!

It is their 2nd fights in the UFC with McLelland losing his 1st by Decision on the Crocop card in April. Bush got stopped in 60 seconds on the Weidman Machida undercard back in July 2014 by Kevin Casey who failed a drug test so the result was changed to a No Contest.

A little underwhelming to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

DK224 wrote: »
    Image_1.jpg

Bubba Bush v Garreth McLellan added to UFC Dublin.......i don't know either guy and neither does Wikipedia!!

It is their 2nd fights in the UFC with McLelland losing his 1st by Decision on the Crocop card in April. Bush got stopped in 60 seconds on the Weidman Machida undercard back in July 2014 by Kevin Casey who failed a drug test so the result was changed to a No Contest.

A little underwhelming to say the least!

That is taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've never understood people rubbishing a card before the event.

It's a Fight Night, not a numbered event. The big name fighters don't generally fight on Fight Night events.

Like most cards, there'll be some good fights and some not so good fights regardless of who is on the card.

Promo mail just landed in the inbox

Ireland's Joe Duffy will take on American Dustin Poirier in the main event at UFC Fight Night at the 3Arena in Dublin on Saturday, October 24, in what promises to be an epic clash between two rising lightweight stars.

Joe Duffy is one of UFC's brightest up-and-comers, currently 2-0 in the Octagon. Famous for being the last man to defeat current UFC interim featherweight champion Conor McGregor, Duffy has set his sights on the lightweight title. His recent impressive display at UFC Fight Night in Glasgow, submitting Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Ivan Jorge by first-round triangle choke, was another exciting step toward that goal.

Also confirmed is England's Tom Breese, who will look to extend his undefeated record when he takes on Ireland's Cathal Pendred in a contest that pits two of the best welterweights in Europe against one another. Plus, lightweight Norman Parke will take on Sweden's Reza Madadi, while Yorkshire's Scott Askham will take on Poland's Krzysztof Jotko in a middleweight bout you can't miss.

SAVE THE DATE! Tickets to UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs Duffy will be available to UFC Fight Club members at 10:00 BST on Wednesday, September 2 and 12:00 BST to Sun+ and Irish Sun Sports Pack members, before going on general sale on Friday, September 4 at 12:00 BST.

Three months of Irish Sun Sports Pack for €6.49 lands you all of this:

Priority ticket booking for UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs Duffy
    Exclusive interviews, fight previews, competitions, post-fight reaction and more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I see they've removed 3 months of Fightpass from the Sun Offer - which they still haven't given me a working code for more than a month after sign up. Snakes.

Also the UFC have updated their press portal with details of Dublin card too

On Saturday, October 24 UFC® will make its highly anticipated return to Dublin, Ireland. And with less than four weeks until tickets to the event go on sale, the organisation has confirmed five exciting match ups that will feature on the fight card.

In the main event Ireland’s own Joseph “Irish” Duffy will face the biggest challenge of his professional career to date, as he takes on top 15 ranked UFC lightweight, Dustin “The Diamond” Poirier.

After signing with UFC in March of this year, Duffy made his debut at UFC 185: PETTIS vs. DOS ANJOS where he enjoyed a round one TKO win over Jake Lindsay. Duffy went on to win his second bout in July, this time defeating Brazilian lightweight Ivan Jorge via submission in the first round, a victory which secured the Irishman a Performance of the Night Bonus.

Poirier, meanwhile, also comes into the headline bout on the back of two straight wins inside the Octagon™. A recent move up to lightweight has seen Poirier go from strength to strength and the American now represents arguably one of the biggest threats inside the 155lbs division.

While Poirier and Duffy have never before met in a professional bout, both fighters have experience in facing off against one of the UFC’s most high profile competitors, “The Notorious” Conor McGregor. With Duffy having secured a win over the interim featherweight world champion prior to signing with UFC, and Poirier suffering defeat at the hands of McGregor just last year, fans all over the world will be eager to discover which of these two fighters will come out on stop, when they meet on October 24th.

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: POIRIER vs. DUFFY will also feature a welterweight bout between Ireland’s Cathal Pendred and English newcomer Tom Breese. Unbeaten in his professional MMA career, Breese – who fights out of Birmingham, England – defeated Luiz Dutra with a spectacular TKO finish in his UFC debut, back in May. His opponent, Pendred, meanwhile began his UFC career by securing four back to back wins, only to suffer a loss to John Howard at UFC 189: MENDES vs. McGREGOR. Having enjoyed a win in front of home fans in Dublin last year, Pendred will no doubt be looking to replicate that success this time around.

Northern Ireland’s “Stormin” Norman Parke will also feature on the fight card in Dublin, as he takes on Reza “Mad Dog” Madadi. Madadi – a favourite amongst European fight fans – makes his highly anticipated return to UFC, following an absence of more than two years. Parke, meanwhile, will be looking to bounce back following two hard fought losses this year at the hands of Brazilian lightweights Gleison Tibau and Francisco Trinaldo.

Also confirmed by UFC is a middleweight bout between Scott Askham and Krzysztof Jotko, who hold professional records of 13-1-0 and 15-1-0 respectively. In July, Englishman Askham featured on the UFC’s card in Berlin where he secured an impressive TKO win over Brazilian Antonio Dos Santos. Poland’s Jotko, meanwhile, will return to action after almost a year out of action through injury.

South African middleweight Garreth “Soldierboy” McLellan will also make the journey to Ireland to compete on October 24th. McLellan holds a professional record of 11-3-0 and made his UFC debut in April this year, where he suffered a unanimous decision loss to Poland’s Bartosz “The Butcher” Fabinski. McLellan will face USA’s Bubba “The Fighting Texas Aggie” Bush, who fights out of College Station, Texas and holds a professional record of 8-3-0.

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: POIRIER vs. DUFFY marks the UFC’s return to Dublin, following a hugely successful event in the city, in July 2014. Tickets to the 2014 event sold out in under an hour and a similar response is expected from fans this year when tickets are released.

Tickets for UFC FIGHT NIGHT®: POIRIER vs. DUFFY will go on sale to UFC FIGHT CLUB® members at 10:00 a.m. IST on Wednesday September 2, with Sun+ subscribers also getting priority access from 12:00 p.m. IST.

Tickets will become available to UFC Newsletter subscribers on Friday September 4 at 10:00 a.m. IST with general sale taking place from 12:00 p.m. IST.

In order to avoid disappointment, fans are encouraged to register their interest via this LINK for UFC FIGHT NIGHT: POIRIER vs. DUFFY to receive information and reminders about the ticket sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Sorry if it's been discussed already but I can't find it. Has anyone any idea the prices are going to be for tickets yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Not a hope i'll be going to this card the way it stands, what is it, 5 fights announced includingt he main event and only 1 of those fighters in the Top 15.

Dream on Dana, dream on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

I'll be going as a mma event! Name wise and big fights it's poor but we could end up,getting 7 great fights!

Hey guys joining fightclub for early access tickets for any of you who have used it before how does it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Hey guys joining fightclub for early access tickets for any of you who have used it before how does it work

You'll be given a code for the event in which you'll enter when buying the tickets.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/12/9137753/paddy-holohan-vs-louis-smolka-targeted-for-ufc-fight-night-dublin

Well this is one fight we can't complain about! Holohan out to avenge Seerys loss to Smolka in July expected to be announced for UFC Dublin later this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Might have to delay going to electric picnic so I can get my UFC Dublin tickets first :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36 madeofbraille

Looks like Ben Rothwell #6 and Stipe Miocic #3 will be added to this card.

Sick fight if it comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Wow. Sickened i'm going to miss this now, emigrating next month. What a fight.

UFC 194 will have to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Possible title eliminator what a fight that will be if it gets confirmed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Looks like Ben Rothwell #6 and Stipe Miocic #3 will be added to this card.

Sick fight if it comes through.

That'd be a main event fight
    If that is added I'll be amazed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Joseph Duffy vs. Dustin Poirier
    Stipe Miocic vs. Ben Rothwell
    Tom Breese vs. Cathal Pendred
    Paddy Holohan vs. Louis Smolka
    Reza Madadi vs. Norman Parke

Scott Askham vs. Krzysztof Jotko
    Bubba Bush vs. Garreth McLellan

If the last two fights were the early prelims, no one could really be too pissed with that.

I think you can take for granted Nelson won't be part of this card now and his twitter said he was off to Vegas too.
    Will he be helping Conor on TUF or is it something more?

I would like to see a strawweight fight on there, surely it's the perfect place for Daly to fight.
    It'l be 9 months since she last fought if she does fight in October. Lima, Clark or Herrig wouldn't be bad, it'd be another top 15 fight too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I predicted a number of weeks ago that Miocic vs. Overeem would be added as a title eliminator, wasn't too far off in the end.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Nelson vs. Maia is a lock for the main event IMO, unless they're being generous and we get the HW title eliminator of Miocic vs. Arlovski, but I doubt it. Can't really see what else they could give us, maybe Duffy vs. Masvidal or Dariush as co-main? I'd be happy with that personally, but I hope we get a big, international main event like the one I mentioned.

You did say Arlovski, but the point stand, good guess work.

You did say Arlovski, but the point stand, good guess work.

Lol hadn't even realised that, I'm surprised I can remember my own name these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

martyos121 wrote: »
    Lol hadn't even realised that, I'm surprised I can remember my own name these days!

You were probably meant to say someone else but said Miocic instead:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Does anyone know the situation with the VIP tickets, do they come out at the same time as the regular tickets?

You were probably meant to say someone else but said Miocic instead:pac:

Oh that's right, I meant to say Arlovski vs Severn! :pac:

Can't believe this fight isn't happening.

• Advertisement

ffwef.jpg

In another fight announced on the bill at Welterweight 22 year old Englishman Darren Till (13-0) fights 30 yr old Danish fighter Nicholas Dalby (14-0). Both guys 2nd fight in the UFC after both scored wins on the Condit v Alves show in Brazil back in May. Looks like a showcase fight for Till who trains out of Brazil and looked really impressive coming in on 9 days notice to knockout out Wendell de Oliviera in 2 rounds. Dalby is a former Cage Warriors champ who won a split decision on the same card.

They may be 2 unfamiliar names to a lot of fans but this has the makings of a good match up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Another two absolute unheard ofs!

If Miocic Vs Rothwell gets confirmed for Dublin it will just about make it an interesting night along with the main event as i've yet to see a live Heavyweight fight yet and would put either fighter in serious contention for a title shot, particularly Miocic.

Fingers crossed it happens else i'll probably give it a miss a watch from home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Darren Till looked really good in his previous UFC fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Petermc83

Surprised no announcment for Ais Daly yet.. When we were travelling back from Glasgow, i got chatting to her and she said she will be on the card and is hoping to fight Felice Herrig... should make for a good fight!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

This card is shaping up nicely imo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement