Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Dublin October 24th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

John_D80 wrote: »
    Question for FC members. How many passes does FC membership get you for weigh-in's/Q&A's etc? I'm guessing its not 6 anyway.

UFC 189, you got 2 early entries with FC
    Most events are like that. Boston and Dublin were ticketed, which is the exception but probably the case in dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Mellor wrote: »
    UFC 189, you got 2 early entries with FC
    Most events are like that. Boston and Dublin were ticketed, which is the exception but probably the case in dublin again.

How many tickets for the event itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ibrahimovic

osl wrote: »
    Think the odds are fair enough. He hasn't faced top competition, but If you can't see that Duffy is special I don't know what you're watching. He is better than Poirier everywhere.

Think Mcgregors odds going into the Poirier fight were longer than Duffys now, anyone remember what they were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tweeted McCall about fighting on the card and he replied saying he would love to do the Q&A and have a vacation here, felt i was being optimistic about him being recovered by then anyway haha

pauldoo wrote: »
    How many tickets for the event itself?
    6 tickets per FC membership
    Think Mcgregors odds going into the Poirier fight were longer than Duffys now, anyone remember what they were?

Going into the fight McGregor was a massive favourite at 2/5 best price
    He opened a dog but that didn't last long

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Wexicanfan

How much will the tickets be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Wexicanfan wrote: »
    How much will the tickets be?
    I'm guessing here, but based on last time, depending on where you want to sit, about 55 euro to 190 euro. I highly recommend the expensive tickets if you can afford them. I sat at the back in London once and had to watch a screen all night, but my eye sight is pretty crap in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

What odds did you expect?

10/11 Duffy 11/10 Dustin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Poiriers KO record flatters him as its generally against grapplers and he's been in trouble against average guys like Brandao, Corassani and a very young Holloway on the feet. He's durable, has power and he's a tough sob though. Neither guy is really tested at LW but I think Poiriers odds are a bit big seeing he's more proven, I could see him grinding out a decision but I think Joe will win. It'll be a good fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Poiriers KO record flatters him as its generally against grapplers and he's been in trouble against average guys like Brandao, Corassani and a very young Holloway on the feet. He's durable, has power and he's a tough sob though. Neither guy is really tested at LW but I think Poiriers odds are a bit big seeing he's more proven, I could see him grinding out a decision but I think Joe will win. It'll be a good fight.

I agree with that, hopefully we get at least one fairly high ranked fight... Hopefully I know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Any rumors on who pendred is matched up with? I know there is nothing concrete yet to suggest he is on this card but it has to be almost a given in fairness. He told time means via twitter that he had a match made but didn't specify Dublin.

I'll settle for hearsay or even out and out lies if rumors aren't forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm not too familiar with the 3 Arena at all, does anyone know what kind of view the Audi Club (or 1878 I think it's called now) would have for UFC setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

John_D80 wrote: »
    Any rumors on who pendred is matched up with? I know there is nothing concrete yet to suggest he is on this card but it has to be almost a given in fairness. He told time means via twitter that he had a match made but didn't specify Dublin.

I'll settle for hearsay or even out and out lies if rumors aren't forthcoming.
    Colby Covington is the best educated guess. I wrote about all of the likely match ups, it's a few pages back.

Chase3 wrote: »
    Colby Covington is the best educated guess. I wrote about all of the likely match ups, it's a few pages back.

Pendred covington is hardly exciting prospect.... Shudder

akelly02 wrote: »
    10/11 Duffy 11/10 Dustin
    So you think this is pretty close to a 50/50 fight? Like 52/48 or so.
    In that case you should you not be happy with Porrier at 11/8

Personally I'd say its more like 60/40 to Duffy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Pendred covington is hardly exciting prospect.... Shudder

Pendred V anyone is hardly exciting, the lad has heart but my God he is boring to watch. The prelims for 189 were poor overall even Seery who is usually good to watch didn't really turn up but Pendred's fight was shocking bad, so much so that we actually left the arena to get drinks during it. And it will be these same fighters who they pack the next Dublin card with again. Pendred shouldn't even be on it considering he has already said he's leaving the UFC for a while but maybe he has a fight left on his contract and i'd say the UFC would much rather lob him on the bill over here than bring him somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pendred V anyone is hardly exciting, the lad has heart but my God he is boring to watch. The prelims for 189 were poor overall even Seery who is usually good to watch didn't really turn up but Pendred's fight was shocking bad, so much so that we actually left the arena to get drinks during it. And it will be these same fighters who they pack the next Dublin card with again. Pendred shouldn't even be on it considering he has already said he's leaving the UFC for a while but maybe he has a fight left on his contract and i'd say the UFC would much rather lob him on the bill over here than bring him somewhere else

He was trolling, he's not going anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

scudzilla wrote: »

Really? Shame:rolleyes:

Very interested to see how Duffy gets on but i really hope the UFC decide to put some decent match ups on the card to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Pendred was genuine in his Pro Boxing aspirations. Wanted to get one fight under his belt but the UFC won't let him. Mentioned it on the MMARoasted podcast last week.

Pendred was genuine in his Pro Boxing aspirations. Wanted to get one fight under his belt but the UFC won't let him. Mentioned it on the MMARoasted podcast last week.
    It'd say its just a case that he was taking the piss then too.
    He'd be destroyed in a pro boxing match. And he'd probably learn very little from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i wouldn't even say he needed a pro fight, just to go to some sweaty boxing gym for 3 months and solely train in boxing, can't do him any harm at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I feel he should work at what he is good at and become excellent at it.

Driving forward, using his strength and smashing guys against the fence. He had a lot of success earlier in his career using these tactics.

Recently he seems to not want to move forward, it looks like he is waiting to counter and the counter is not coming, leading to a poor stand up battle. There is almost so much attention on his stand up and he is trying to work at that instead of getting back to his aggressive roots, which brought him to the UFC in the first place.

i wouldn't even say he needed a pro fight, just to go to some sweaty boxing gym for 3 months and solely train in boxing, can't do him any harm at all
    That's kinda my point, the fight itself would be blocked my his UFC contract, but nothing stops him training in a boxing gym. And its training boxing that would benefit him, not losing to a debuting pro.
    I feel he should work at what he is good at and become excellent at it.

Driving forward, using his strength and smashing guys against the fence. He had a lot of success earlier in his career using these tactics.

Recently he seems to not want to move forward, it looks like he is waiting to counter and the counter is not coming, leading to a poor stand up battle. There is almost so much attention on his stand up and he is trying to work at that instead of getting back to his aggressive roots, which brought him to the UFC in the first place.
    I think its a case that prior to the UFC he was able to walk the guy down, clinch them, and smash against the fence.
    But the the UFC guys are moving better, they are keeping him out the outside, and most important they are striking better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

But the the UFC guys are moving better, they are keeping him out the outside, and most important they are striking better.

I agree the standard is better in the UFC overall. But he has not been aggressive in his past few fights. Even his last fight had he moved forward and got the guy to the fence one or two more times he would have won.

His style has changed, or at least he has been trying to change it and its not working. I don't know if its because he has taken some heavy shots or what but the drive forward seems to been gone in his last few fights.

Che Mills is probably a better striker than anyone else he fought in the UFC and Cathal dominated him by moving forward and being aggressive in the clinch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

So you think this is pretty close to a 50/50 fight? Like 52/48 or so.
    In that case you should you not be happy with Porrier at 11/8

Personally I'd say its more like 60/40 to Duffy.

60/40 would mean 6/4 and 4/6?
    That would be fairly correct now that i think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Pendred needs to worry about getting better at MMA, not just boxing.

akelly02 wrote: »
    60/40 would mean 6/4 and 4/6?
    That would be fairly correct now that i think of it.
    But then you add in the bookies margin,
    And 4/6 becomes 4/7
    6/4 (12/8) becomes 11/8

I think they've priced this pretty well. I'll be hoping to get money on elsewhere.

Yep and for the record I slag Pendred as much as the next guy buy I just want him to do well he I'd quite likeable.. Like a big cuddly teddy bear that like to push things against walls and lay on them for 5 mins ;_)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 munuus

Pendred needs to worry about getting better at MMA, not just boxing. x2

and add some speed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

munuus wrote: »
    Pendred needs to worry about getting better at MMA, not just boxing. x2

and add some speed too

Prenderd needs to learn how to throw a punch. I think the extra focus on boxing will be an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Prenderd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

https://twitter.com/ufc_uk/status/627903695154339840

"@UFC_UK: Pick up your copy of @TheSunNewspaper tomorrow morning as we'll be announcing TWO bouts for #UFCDublin! http://t.co/GeUnqxzROy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

https://twitter.com/ufc_uk/status/627903695154339840

"@UFC_UK: Pick up your copy of @TheSunNewspaper tomorrow morning as we'll be announcing TWO bouts for #UFCDublin! http://t.co/GeUnqxzROy"

We'll probably find out around 11pm when it has gone to print. There won't be a need to buy the paper.

My guesses are Holohan v Smolka and Pendred v Zak Cummings.

Paully D wrote: »
    We'll probably find out around 11pm when it has gone to print. There won't be a need to buy the paper.

My guesses are Holohan v Smolka and Pendred v Zak Cummings.

Hoolihan v Smoilka and Pendred v Covington would be my guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Hologram v Smoilka and Pendred v Covington would be my guesses.
    Tupac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Has everyone forget? No where mentioned it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

And as I say it

Tom Breese is Cathal Pendred's opponent for UFC Dublin.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

The Sun UFC ‏@TheSunUFC now12 seconds ago
    EXCLUSIVE: @scottaskham1 returns to action at #UFCDublin against @JotkoMMA on Oct 24. http://thesun.uk/6016B13Dq

That's not going 3 rounds, expecting fireworks from Askham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

This card isn't shaping up very well. Wonder if they have an interesting number two fight in mind.

• Advertisement

Article from todays shockwave announcement

"WELTERWEIGHTS are set to collide in an England versus Ireland bout at UFC Fight Night Dublin.

England's Tom Breese will look to extend his undefeated record when he takes on Ireland's Cathal Pendred in Dublin in a contest that pits two of the best welterweights in Europe against one another in a pivotal contest for both men.

Birmingham-born Breese made a huge impression on his Octagon debut, stopping Luiz Dutra by first-round TKO in a performance that seemed to impress everybody except himself.
    After the bout Breese told SunSport that he wasn’t happy with his display and that there was a lot more to come from him in future contests.
    He later spoke to us at UFC Fight Night in Glasgow, where he called for the UFC to make the match with Pendred, saying “I believe I can finish him in his own back yard”.

Now Breese has the opportunity to do just that, but he’ll be facing a man stung by the first defeat of his UFC career.

Pendred lost a split decision to John ‘Doomsday’ Howard at UFC 189 and will be desperate to return to winning ways in front of his home crowd.
    The Dubliner fought when the UFC last landed on the Emerald Isle, dramatically submitting Mike King in a thrilling come-from-behind performance that had the crowd on their feet.
    And now, inspired by his home town, he’ll be looking for a similar result when he takes on Englishman Breese".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Ugh. The thoughts of having to put up with another 15 minutes of Pendred...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ugh. The thoughts of having to put up with another 15 minutes of Pendred...

Beer refreshment time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Monokne wrote: »
    This card isn't shaping up very well. Wonder if they have an interesting number two fight in mind.

Hard to say. It's a Fight Pass event so I wouldn't be expecting anything huge to be honest.

Jotko vs Askham is a tasty looking fight.

Breese vs Pendred will have the panto crowd in full swing. England vs Ireland and all that lark. Will get behind him for sure but it's not the most riveting fight on paper.

He's due a big performance is Pendred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just read that the nephew of Chechen president will be making his ufc debut at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

darced wrote: »
    This card is looking piss poor.I'm not paying UFC prices for a cage warriors card.

They know it will sell out regardless of who's in it as long as conor makes an appearance in someway.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just read that the nephew of Chechen president will be making his ufc debut at this.

Sweet. Few selfies with the Chechen mujahideen :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

We deserve better than what we're getting so far.

We deserve better than what we're getting so far.

To be fair we should know what we are getting when they announced Duffy V Poirier. I can't wait for that fight, but they can't announce a fight that overshadows the main event. Which, no offence to Duffy and Poirier, means we're now limited in regards to fight announcements.

Either way, last year the card didn't look great on paper and the event was unforgettable.

Pendred v Tom Breese set for the dublin card.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement