Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Dublin October 24th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

To be fair we should know what we are getting when they announced Duffy V Poirier. I can't wait for that fight, but they can't announce a fight that overshadows the main event. Which, no offence to Duffy and Poirier, means we're now limited in regards to fight announcements.

Either way, last year the card didn't look great on paper and the event was unforgettable.

It was, it was brilliant and brought a lot of hype to the Irish fans. But we should have been rewarded with better fights this year. It'll be a good night either way but I wanted to see higher quality fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Guys look at the Krakow, Berlin and Glasgow cards. All very poor. The main events were probably better (Bisping and Cro Cop bigger names, Berlin was for a title) but stylistically Poirier/Duffy is the best fight out of the 4.

Gunnar/Wonderboy would be a great co-main, Should be the main but the UFC obviously want an Irish fighter in it, the fight basically books itself, Wonderboy already said he'd fight Gunnar in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Starting to think this is more of watch at home rather than go to event.

Pendred fight is crap, other announced fight is crap as well, main event is only alright, gunni Thompson would be good if it happens, and aisling daly is bound to be on this card as well, and she looks horribly out of her depth in ufc. Very very disappointing so far, should have known better than to trust anything dana says but after his spiel about all the fighters ringing him after last event I had high hopes.
    I mean face it if this was a regular fight pass event not in Dublin most people wouldn't probably even watch it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Guys look at the Krakow, Berlin and Glasgow cards. All very poor. The main events were probably better (Bisping and Cro Cop bigger names, Berlin was for a title) but stylistically Poirier/Duffy is the best fight out of the 4.

Gunnar/Wonderboy would be a great co-main, Should be the main but the UFC obviously want an Irish fighter in it, the fight basically books itself, Wonderboy already said he'd fight Gunnar in Dublin.

Berlin initially had Gus v Glover - basically a title eliminator, Bisping v Leites was a very good fight between 2 top 10s, and OK Krakow had 2 dinosaurs fighting. We could have done better for a main event. It should be a good fight but 2 top 30's fighting on the main event kind of limits the rest of the main card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I was at the point last year and this card sold based on 6 Irish fighters being on the card (parke and gunni included) with Conor's first fight in a year
    This time out the event was going to sell itself regardless of who's involved
    Expect paddy,ais,redser and seery fights announced shortly
    It's even predict a co main of ais v magana or herrig

We'll never get a full number card unless it's in Croker or the aviva with all the upper echelon guys being involved.
    UFC is putting European guys on European cards same as it loads Brazilian cards with their fighters. We couldn't have expected anything better than what we're getting. Look at 190 main card dominated by past it Brazilians, tuf Brazil finals and Rowdy.
    Anyone thinking we'll get better needs to wake up
    UFC is much more business focused under Gary Cook and needs all the ppv revenue etc wouldn't be generated for an afternoon event unless it's got Conor on the bill
    Dana might talk about the great fans etc but he's already chasing the mighty dollar now... Don't expect this to change anytime soon

Sorry if that's a bit of a rant but some perspective is needed

brinty wrote: »
    It's even predict a co main of ais v magana or herrig

Sorry if that's a bit of a rant but some perspective is needed

Terrible Co main if that's the case, yes thank you for the rant we were lost without your perspective.

Honestly everyone knows all that already everything you said is either common sense or common knowledge.

Dosent change the points that ppl made saying they "hoped" not "expected" a better card.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mmapk

I'm still going, but will go for a cheaper ticket and also attend the BAMMA event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

brinty wrote: »
    Look at 190 main card dominated by past it Brazilians, tuf Brazil finals and Rowdy.
    Anyone thinking we'll get better needs to wake up

Sound, I'd be happy enough with a load of past it Irish guys and Rousey headlining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

As someone else said, I won't be crushed if I don't get a ticket for this. After the money 189 & UFC Glasgow cost me, my bank balance could probably do without it. However if Gunni v Wonderboy gets added then my outlook could change drastically!

It's not a terrible line up just a bit disappointing, surely we can get even one semi big name fighter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

jcd5971 wrote: »
    It's not a terrible line up just a bit disappointing, surely we can get even one semi big name fighter

Duffy is a big name, as is Poirier. I honestly don't know what people want when they say this "big name"? Rampage Jackson? Michael Bisping? No thanks.

Duffy is a big name, as is Poirier. I honestly don't know what people want when they say this "big name"? Rampage Jackson? Michael Bisping? No thanks.

Fair enough I get you I meant a fight between two top 10s or even top 15s, really just a fight that really matters, even the Poirier Duffy fight dosent "really " matter if you get what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Cub Swanson, Cat Zingano, someone in the top 10 in their division. The last Dublin card we had Conor, McCall, Pickett and Gunnar. Not asking for anything amazing, but the same level as the last Dublin card would be good. If the co main is Ais Daly vs Magana like someone suggested earlier I will be fairly pissed.

Cub Swanson, Cat Zingano, someone in the top 10 in their division. The last Dublin card we had Conor, McCall, Pickett and Gunnar. Not asking for anything amazing, but the same level as the last Dublin card would be good. If the co main is Ais Daly vs Magana like someone suggested earlier I will be fairly pissed.

Yep that sums up my feelings on the matter as well, aishling daly is not even main card at the minute let alone a co main, prelims at best, she just looks outclassed at every level unfortunately, hopefully she turns it around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

I don't know why people are surprised that we'll be getting a poorish card, the European cards nearly always are.

I'm pretty sure that last year McCall and Pickett were the only fighters on the whole card ranked in the top 10 in their division.

A lot of the cards that look poor on paper turn out to be great anyway.

True but with getting time of work and hotels and **** plus tickets I need one more food fight announced to make it worth the hassle to go see it because Un patriotic or whatever it may seem seery Pendred daly and redser are Un inspiring fights, looking forward to gunni, Duffy tho but 2 interesting fights so far is all I see

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First live event for me was UFC 70, we had CroCop/Gonzaga, big names at time

UFC 72 had Franklin/Okami/Forrest

75 had Dampage vs Hendo for LHW title, Bisping/CroCop/Kongo

80 had BJ vs Joe Daddy for LW title, Werdum/Gonzago

93 had Frankin/Hendo/Shogun/Coleman

I was lucky enough to go to all of them

Then it all started going to ****e, UFC will continue to give us sub par cards because the sheep will continue to pay for it, as it stands i won't be paying UFC prices for this upcoming Dublin card, not a hope.

Look what i can get for a 20euro ticket at Bamma, that same fcukin seat for the UFC event will cost upwards of 100 and it will sell out in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Marketplace sets the value of the ticket. If this card sells out in minutes (which it will) then the prices are spot on.

The quality of the card is not an Irish specific thing. Scotland and Poland were similar. There are more cards the caliber of this one in international markets in 2015 then close to the caliber of their PPV's or Fox shows.

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    Marketplace sets the value of the ticket. If this card sells out in minutes (which it will) then the prices are spot on.

The quality of the card is not an Irish specific thing. Scotland and Poland were similar. There are more cards the caliber of this one in international markets in 2015 then close to the caliber of their PPV's or Fox shows.

True but at least Poland gets joanna jendz( I give up), Scotland gets Bisping( best in UK to be fair I know he's no world beater).
    And we get mcgregor taken away they fact is considering he can't fight here they should have parachuted in 1 semi big name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

True but at least Poland gets joanna jendz( I give up), Scotland gets Bisping( best in UK to be fair I know he's no world beater).
    And we get mcgregor taken away they fact is considering he can't fight here they should have parachuted in 1 semi big name.

They didn't Berlin is in Germany :D

They didn't Berlin is in Germany :D

Was that in Berlin I stand corrected so

Was that in Berlin I stand corrected so

Ya Cro Cop v Gonzaga 2 was Poland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just read that the nephew of Chechen president will be making his ufc debut at this.

Wow, I wonder if Ramzan would be let into the country to attend this, big fighting fan himself, beat the crap out of one of his ministers I think.

Be very careful who you sit beside :p

The headliner for a Fightnight in Brazil a few weeks after the Dublin event has been announced.....Vitor vs Hendo

We get Duffy vs Poirier, hardly seems fair does it

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    The headliner for a Fightnight in Brazil a few weeks after the Dublin event has been announced.....Vitor vs Hendo

Point well made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'll take Duffy/Poirier over Belfort/Hendo any day of the week.

I'll take Duffy/Poirier over Belfort/Hendo any day of the week.

I'd take Vitor/Hendo as main with Duffy/Poirier as co, now THAT would be a good start, now it seems the attitude is "fcuk 'em, it'll sell out whoever we have"

Just waiting for them to announce that Cathal is the co-main

Just waiting for them to announce that Cathal is the co-main

:eek::eek::eek:

He wasn't even on the main the last time and he shouldn't be this time either

Big Ben v Travis Browne co-main please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Last year, the comments were essentially the same. Complaining about McGregor headlining, complaining about the fighters on the card, glorified cage wars card, etc.
    But once the night came around, everyone raved about it. It’s a fight night card, the O2, or 3 or whatever it’s called now, is a fight night venue.
    Porrier v Duffy is about as big as I’d expect at this point. I’ve doubts Gunni will be there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Dont know why people are hating on Pendred/Breese as a match-up. Breese is a class act and guy who finishes fights. Pure predator, well rounded, very big for the weight class and he's had some great fights in BAMMA. I think he was with Cage Warriors as well for a while.

Pendred wants to get in there and war but, if his problems of late, have been guys who wont engage with him, like Montano, then he wont have any complaints about Breese. I'll be screaming my head off for Pendred but this is gonna be a very tough fight for him and I would see Breese taking it by early sub.

I think we should be looking forward to this as the fight that Pendred/Montano should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Mellor wrote: »
    Last year, the comments were essentially the same. Complaining about McGregor headlining, complaining about the fighters on the card, glorified cage wars card, etc.
    But once the night came around, everyone raved about it. It’s a fight night card, the O2, or 3 or whatever it’s called now, is a fight night venue.
    Porrier v Duffy is about as big as I’d expect at this point. I’ve doubts Gunni will be there now.

Spot on.

Anyone who doesn't think the card is of acceptable quality, don't buy a ticket. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Fantasy land however would love to see Struve there, that would be unreal. I will be trying to get a ticket anyway. Must get a bamma ticket sorted however need someone willing to tag along with yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Why would you care about 2 bigger names? Hendo is pretty much done at this stage. He's never going anywhere near a title shot.

I'd have more interest in watching someone, especially someone Irish, make a run at the belt than some over-the-hill fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Why would you care about 2 bigger names? Hendo is pretty much done at this stage. He's never going anywhere near a title shot.

I'd have more interest in watching someone, especially someone Irish, make a run at the belt than some over-the-hill fighter.

Exactly Duffy Poirier is way more intriguing and relevent than watching Vitor KO Hendo again. Awful match making Bisping vs either of these would have made way more sense.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Exactly Duffy Poirier is way more intriguing and relevent than watching Vitor KO Hendo again. Awful match making Bisping vs either of these would have made way more sense.

Dunno Poirier is coming off of a very poor run lately, still goodbyes for Duffy though, I think the Pendred fight may well end up exciting Pendred knows he needs a hood fight,and he can't have helped but noticed the poor reception he got in Vegas even compared to gunni.
    Paddy will be good win or lose as well, I hope gunni is added as well.
    So it's not a bad card just lacking a little bit of oomph, even one top 10 fight would give it a nice little push

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tell us again lads how you're not spending money on the card. Seriously, it's riveting stuff.

:rolleyes:

Dunno Poirier is coming off of a very poor run lately

What? His only loss in his last 6 fights was against McGregor and he finished 4 of his opponents in 2 rounds or less.

That_Guy wrote: »
    What? His only loss in his last 6 fights was against McGregor and he finished 4 of his opponents in 2 rounds or less.

Just went and checked there, your right I dunno what's going on with me today, I could have sworn he had lost his last 2 against Edgar and Holloway. Apologies to Poirier that changes my opinion on this fight considerably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This just isn't true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just went and checked there, your right I dunno what's going on with me today, I could have sworn he had lost his last 2 against Edgar and Holloway. Apologies to Poirier that changes my opinion on this fight considerably
    He's also 10-1 at lightweight. He's a big scalp to take for Duffy. H

After the McGregor fight people started writing him off as a nobody but that's way off tbh. His fight with Zombie was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That was Cub Swanson ;)

Ironically, he beat Poirier before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This just isn't true!

As big a name as McGregor when he played Dublin?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    As big a name as McGregor when he played Dublin?

Duffy is a big name on the local circuit. McGregor made himself a big name by hyping the absolute crap out of himself.

Duffy is a big name in terms of riding on McGregor's coat tails. I know it's a tag that he probably hates but if it's propelling him to a main event slot in his third UFC fight, then I'm sure he's not complaining.

I'm pretty sure many people wouldn't have had a clue who Joseph Duffy was this time last year.

That was Cub Swanson ;)

Ironically, he beat Poirier before.

**** your right dunno how I confused those two, well at least I didn't imagine those other fights which is a mild relief :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

**** your right dunno how I confused those two, well at least I didn't imagine those other fights which is a mild relief :-)
    You did imagine them... They never happened

Regarding the card. It is piss poor to be honest. They should have put 2 fairly big names main eventing it. Vitor and Hendo for example with duffy co main. Or at least Gunni v Top 10 opponent.
    When im hearing things of Ais co-main its actually disgraceful. She be prob cut if she loses her next couple fights which i think she will. She has never really improved her stand up , like Cathal, but she could submit any1 which is the only thing going for her .
    But to actually put her ahead of Paddy if he is on the card would be a joke.

I think theyll fill the card with the likes of Norman, Stevie Ray, Ais and Maybe a couple of UK lads.

Regarding the card. It is piss poor to be honest.

They've only announced 3 fights FFS. I wish people would hold off slagging the card when it's not even filled yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I find it ridiculous that there were some people here complaining that the Conor fans will snap up all the tickets if he makes a guest appearances, and these are the same ones b1tching about the card.

If you don't like the card, don't go. More tickets for the rest of us who are just happy we're getting another UFC event so soon.

You did imagine them... They never happened

Meh I just confused Swanson and Poirier, I acknowledged my mistake and apologised for tarnishing Poiriers good name...... What more do you want from me. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Who on earth would buy a ticket to this event just because McGregor is there?

I really hope he isn't there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement