Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop issue , no cd drive . How to install a cd program ?

Options
  • 25-06-2015 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Ok I need to try an get cd software for car diagnostics onto my laptop . It requires me to put a cd into my cd tray on my laptop an go through an installation procedure . Only issue is my cd tray/DVD drive is fecked :( is there any other way I can get the software onto my laptop ,? Can I transfer it from another laptop or desk top or something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Get two computers on the same network, preferably wired, share the cd drive of one, and add that as a network drive on the other. Let us know the setup if you need more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Colash wrote: »
    Ok I need to try an get cd software for car diagnostics onto my laptop . It requires me to put a cd into my cd tray on my laptop an go through an installation procedure . Only issue is my cd tray/DVD drive is fecked :( is there any other way I can get the software onto my laptop ,? Can I transfer it from another laptop or desk top or something ?

Do the company have online support?
    If not you could burn the cd to ISO and put it on a USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

mordeith wrote: »
    Do the company have online support?
    If not you could burn the cd to ISO and put it on a USB stick.

I've read about this ISO . Could u explain better please ?

Surely they provide the software from their website....

TheChizler wrote: »
    Get two computers on the same network, preferably wired, share the cd drive of one, and add that as a network drive on the other. Let us know the setup if you need more details.

Hi so could I have say a desk top an my laptop on the same wi fi network . And do it from there ,? Like you said , share the cd drive of the desktop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Alternatively, you could copy cd to google drive using another computer, then get the files on your laptop and run from desktop

Hi so could I have say a desk top an my laptop on the same wi fi network . And do it from there ,? Like you said , share the cd drive of the desktop
    Presuming you have windows pcs here...

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=13067

I've read about this ISO . Could u explain better please ?

It creates a virtual copy of the CD which can be transferred to USB devices and run from particular software. Daemon Tools lite will allow you mount the ISO and run the file like as if the physical cd is in the drive.
    Disclaimer: My definition of an ISO might be nonsense but you get the idea.

mordeith wrote: »
    It creates a virtual copy of the CD which can be transferred to USB devices and run from particular software. Daemon Tools lite will allow you mount the ISO and run the file like as if the physical cd is in the drive.
    Disclaimer: My definition of an ISO might be nonsense but you get the idea.
    Can Daemon tools be downloaded ?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Presuming you have windows pcs here...

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=13067

Thanks going to try this

• Advertisement

Ok update tried network drive sharing . Not working :(

Ok update tried network drive sharing . Not working :(

Okay, download Img Burn http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download&

Install on the machine with the working cd drive. Insert cd and click Create Image File from Disc. This will create a single ISO file. Transfer this to a USB key.
    On machine with broken drive download and install Daemon Tools https://www.daemon-tools.cc/products/dtLite

When you run this it will give you the option to mount an ISO. Browse to the one on the USB stick (you can transfer it to your desktop if you like). This will then run the software as if it was the physical cd and should allow you install.

Sorry lads but all this is well above me . I may have to just buy an external cd drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just create a folder on your desktop called the name of the software. Copy the contents of the cd into this folder then copy this folder on to a usb key. When you have the usb connected to your laptop explore the newly copied folder for an exe file to start the installation process.

Sorry lads but all this is well above me . I may have to just buy an external cd drive

I know it may seem complicated but it's really only a couple of clicks. You have nothing to lose by trying anyway

jca wrote: »
    Just create a folder on your desktop called the name of the software. Copy the contents of the cd into this folder then copy this folder on to a usb key. When you have the usb connected to your laptop explore the newly copied folder for an exe file to start the installation process.

This method seems to be working . There's 8gb of info to copy over so it's taking a while . Plus there's an auto run exe I'm going to copy over to for the installation process

jca wrote: »

Thumbs up to u sir ;)

This method seems to be working . There's 8gb of info to copy over so it's taking a while . Plus there's an auto run exe I'm going to copy over to for the installation process

What kind of CD is that?! :D Seriously, I didn't think dual-layer DVDs were even used for software distributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thumbs up to u sir ;)

No problem glad to be of service.

Advertisement