Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for stopping drifting by the stern

Options
  • 25-06-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I've a 19ft Anglers Fancy and on most drifts it drifts very strongly by the stern. I've tried to compensate with the oar which having to do constantly is a pain, sitting in various positions towards the bow and leaving the engine in the water/taking it out.

I haven't noticed a major difference or improvement so wondering if anyone has any advice - will a drogue make any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Caribs wrote: »
    I've a 19ft Anglers Fancy and on most drifts it drifts very strongly by the stern. I've tried to compensate with the oar which having to do constantly is a pain, sitting in various positions towards the bow and leaving the engine in the water/taking it out.

I haven't noticed a major difference or improvement so wondering if anyone has any advice - will a drogue make any difference?

Don't have a boat but often have the same problem in boats I've borrowed. This week I was in a different boat that drifted towards the bow. :rolleyes:
    Does it drift that way as badly when you have someone else with you? If not then it's worth putting some weight in the bow when out on your own. This also helps when driving the boat, keeps the bow down a bit and is more efficient and safer when driving.
    Haven't used a drogue much so can't tell if it helps with drifting off course.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

A small rudder? clamped on the stern?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nokiatom

try leaving the engine down and lock it to port or starboard

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

That is how I trim a boat, bit of luck and a bit of friction and the motor may stay where you put it, there is usually a fin by the prop that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Would agree with zzippy about weight. Saw a good description somewhere....think of engine as a flagpole and boat as a flag. Get a 20lt plastic container and fill it with sand or water. Stick it in the bow first and play around with it until you reach a balance. Tie it to something. Always line up stern to the wind
    I'll leave engine in if there's a good wave and take it out if wind light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Thanks for the advice lads, will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

Have you tried to turn the boat around so the engine will be at the opposite end. Does it still drift to stern then? It could be that there are under water currents pulling you out/in! I have been told in the past that in general boats will drift towards the stern end.

decdon wrote: »
    Have you tried to turn the boat around so the engine will be at the opposite end. Does it still drift to stern then? It could be that there are under water currents pulling you out/in! I have been told in the past that in general boats will drift towards the stern end.

There are definitely currents especially going around shallows/islands but I can use the stern drift to counteract it alright but on a normal drift it still goes by the stern. Will try the ballast option up the front and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Get a large fishbox and attach a rope.Throw it overboard and this will check the drift also.

Similar effect to a drogue then I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Yes.You can position the rope to suit the angle of drift.

What make or who made the boat if you don't mind me asking?

What make or who made the boat if you don't mind me asking?

What make of boat is it or who made it if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

decdon wrote: »
    What make of boat is it or who made it if you don't mind me asking?

OP said Anglers Fancy which is a Burke boat

Advertisement