Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griselina Hedge Cuttings

Options
  • 25-06-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have planted some griselina cuttings along the top of a ditch in my back garden in the last week. I took the cuttings and cut the stems at an angle, soaked them in water, applied rooting powder and pushed them down into the ground. I've been watering them every night with some black perforated hosing that I got in aldi a couple of months ago, I leave the hose on for an hour a day so they get a good watering.

I've seen this hedging take very well in the past in next doors garden, is there anything else I can do to ensure the hedging takes.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'm very interested to see how this goes and see what tips you receive. I've a couple of these which I started trimming the other day but then thought I'd look into using the cuttings to plant at the front to grow a hedge there for free.

Can I use any of the cuttings for this or what is the best way to go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jack Sawyer

Well I am no expert but will add my 2 cents - Others please feel free to contradict etc ;)

If it was me I'd measure the length of the area to be planted and then count out how many hedging plants I need to cover it.

Then I'd buy at least 1.5 x that amount of cheap medium sized plant pots - ie if I needed a minimum of 20 plants I'd buy 30 pots to allow for the inevitable failures.

Then I'd fill with compost and perhaps some vermiculite.

Remove all but one or two leaves from the shoots & treat with rooting gel/compound.

Line up in area where they will not get any direct sunlight - I know people further shield them by using opaque plastic bags/sheeting) and keep as happy as possible with appropriate watering.

- For me the key issue is that there no root system so you want to decelerate everything that prospective plant does until it gets a chance to grow some roots for itself.

For this reason I'd be concerned for your hedge as right now it is trying to support itself through long, long hot sunny summer days with zero roots and possibly all its leaves etc.

Advertisement