Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to stop smelly food odors coming into our flat?

Options
  • 25-06-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a one bed flat in a house in dublin, and the downstairs guy cooks horrendous smelling food in the evening, and the smell comes in to my flat, is there anything practical I can do to stop this coming into my flat?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its always an issue in multi unit dwellings. My next door neighbour holds almost nightly barbeques on their balcony- which fill my place with smoke- and I'm allergic to beef too........

All you can really do is close the windows on the side of that the smell is most obvious- you're not going to eliminate it- even the regular vents will allow it in- but it'll be more manageable.

Also helpful- industrial air freshner. I buy boxes of 'Blast' which is designed for eliminating odours in hotel rooms and boats etc. It comes in different scents. Avoid vanilla at all costs. The most pleasing scent is cranberry.

Its not ideal- is the guy a tenant or an owner occupier- aka is he likely to move on, or are you stuck with him? Ditto- are you a tenant or an owner occupier?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

you could try active charcoal, it wont be a instant odour remover but will help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Its always an issue in multi unit dwellings. My next door neighbour holds almost nightly barbeques on their balcony- which fill my place with smoke- and I'm allergic to beef too........

All you can really do is close the windows on the side of that the smell is most obvious- you're not going to eliminate it- even the regular vents will allow it in- but it'll be more manageable.

Also helpful- industrial air freshner. I buy boxes of 'Blast' which is designed for eliminating odours in hotel rooms and boats etc. It comes in different scents. Avoid vanilla at all costs. The most pleasing scent is cranberry.

Its not ideal- is the guy a tenant or an owner occupier- aka is he likely to move on, or are you stuck with him? Ditto- are you a tenant or an owner occupier?

Tennants both of us, hes a lovely guy but I have no idea what the hell he is cooking! :)

Ill give the industrial air freshner a go, keep windows closed, and also draft proof the door; failing that a clothes peg!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ill give the industrial air freshner a go, keep windows closed, and also draft proof the door
    Looks for air vents, and have an auld sniff.

Advertisement