Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not charging - Dell Studio

Options
  • 25-06-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Ok, so I've had problems with my Dell Studio 1749 the last year or so. Sometimes when I plugged in my ac adapter it would charge the laptop no problem then other times I'd have to wiggle the wire around a little to get it to work. It wasn't a big deal to begin with but it gradually got worse. I know its not the ac adapter as I bought a second one and still the same problem.

So then I presumed it was the DC jack, so I brought it to a shop to have it repaired. When I picked laptop back up I foolishly trusted that the shop had fixed it and paid the money, he said he changed the DC jack and its working Brought the laptop home but still the same problem.

Brought the laptop back to the shop to complain and he said then it must need a new battery. So I'm waiting weeks now for the battery to arrive.

But here's the thing that doesn't make sense to me. If it is the battery that is the problem shouldn't I still be able to use the laptop just on ac power with the battery removed. The problem is I can't. The laptop turns on but screen stays black.

Sorry for the long post. Does this sound like more of a motherboard problem???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Sounds like a problem with the jack.

The laptop would indeed work without the battery once it's connected to a power source.

Search Google and see if the dc jack is soldered on to the motherboard or can the dc jack be replaced. Easy enough job if it's the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

Charlie19 wrote:
    Search Google and see if the dc jack is soldered on to the motherboard or can the dc jack be replaced. Easy enough job if it's the latter.

Charlie19 wrote:
    The laptop would indeed work without the battery once it's connected to a power source.

Charlie19 wrote:
    Sounds like a problem with the jack.

See I sent it to the shop and he said he has replaced the jack and charged me 45 quid. Not sure if he's a scam artist or not. I've no way of knowing that he has actually replaced it or not.

Advertisement