Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€399 Xbox One/PS4 Killer?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The only thing I would avoid is the G3258 based build - it's a great processor and offers great value for money but it's a pain when certain games will not run due to detecting a dual core without HT. Even though most of those games run perfectly when you apply various fixes.

There's also the issue of minimum frames in certain games, even with at 4.4Ghz the G3258 will have excellent average framerates, but minimums are terrible in certain titles like Battlefield 4, GTA V, to name a few. I was a fan but extensive testing of it changed my mind completely, wouldn't recommend it for any gaming build.

Easier to just commit to an i3 now which will last several years. It can be tempting to opt for something like the much cheaper AMD 860K but it's just so inferior to the i3 I wouldn't bother. The processor should always be the heart of your build really.

Buy decent processor and afforable GPU now - replace GPU in a year or two.

Buy weak processor and a slightly faster GPU and you end up replacing both in a year or two.

So the HT in i3 helps that much vs the lack thereof the the G3258? I didn't know that, useful to know. That being said, the G2358 is so much cheaper than the i3, and canebe OCed, so the value is there for those who need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The lack of HT is what kills the G3258. Some games won't even start without having to apply third party fixes.

In games like Battlefield 4, GTA V and one or two others that I've personally tested, the average frame-rates are strong but the game will frequently plummet to single digit FPS randomly and frequently - enough to noticeably impact game-play experience.

Other games run fine, but all in all, I think it would be a poor choice for a gaming build. I'd prefer to take AMD's 860K if I had zero choice, which although much weaker, offers far better minimum framerates which is my opinion is far more important. So in a chart, the G3258 might have an average framerate comparable to an i3 or i5 - but the minimum will often be single digit versus five times that for the stronger CPU's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Right, thank you for all your advice.

I've ordered the following parts:

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 (S1150)
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
    RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 1009MHz
    HDD: Toshiba 500GB Deskstar SATA 6GB/s 32MB 7200RPM 3.5" Hard Drive
    DVD: Samsung SH-224DB DVD-RW Writer
    PSU: EVGA 430W White 80PLus
    Case: Zalman T4 Black

Total came up to €497.42 so I think I'm happy enough. I'm just worried the 430 Watt PSU might not be enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

430 is plenty, a 350w would have done you to be honest.

Great, leaves some room for future upgrades in that case!

You just made me realise how behind I am in terms of PC building.

The last PC I built had a Q9400 and a GTX 260 in it and that was some machine back then... I was one of the few to be able to run GTA IV back then :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

That's a quality machine for the price, you won't be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sobanek wrote: »
    Right, thank you for all your advice.

I've ordered the following parts:

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 (S1150)
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz
    RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 1009MHz
    HDD: Toshiba 500GB Deskstar SATA 6GB/s 32MB 7200RPM 3.5" Hard Drive
    DVD: Samsung SH-224DB DVD-RW Writer
    PSU: EVGA 430W White 80PLus
    Case: Zalman T4 Black

Total came up to €497.42 so I think I'm happy enough. I'm just worried the 430 Watt PSU might not be enough...

That PC would only use about 150w under full load if not less.

BloodBath wrote: »
    That PC would only use about 150w under full load if not less.

To be honest that was the cheapest PSU available from where I ordered the parts. I have used a 500W variant before and it was grand, so I suppose the 430W isn't bad either.

Leaves me some room for upgrades either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Sobanek wrote: »
    To be honest that was the cheapest PSU available from where I ordered the parts. I have used a 500W variant before and it was grand, so I suppose the 430W isn't bad either.

Leaves me some room for upgrades either way.

Well the 430 only has a single 8/6 pin gpu power connection so that might limit your gpu choices in the future.

There are high powered GPU options like the GTX 970 that will run off of that though.

The next gen of GPU's should see a big power requirement drop with a drop in gpu die size and HBM memory so it should be ok for a few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds#wiki_the_next-gen_crusher

There is a few updated builds that might provide some alternatives if they havn't been mentioned here

• Advertisement
Advertisement