Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

My First Bike

• 25-06-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I've wanted a bike for years and I've now decided to get one.

I'm looking for a Harley Davison 883 Iron, and then I hope to customise it a lot.

I have some questions which I hope someone can help me with:

01 - is there a specific site in Ireland for buying / selling bikes, or is Done Deal your best bet?

02 - once I buy the bike, how soon do you think I could realistically get up on it, as I don't have a licence so I plan to look into that tomorrow?

03 - I heard there is a day course that you need to go on... Is there a big waiting list for this?

04 - is there a huge vet premium if you bring it in from the UK, similar to importing a car?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Done Deal is probably the best place for finding bikes. There's also Bike Buyers Guide, but the ads tend to be out of date.

Before you can ride a bike on your own you will need to do a bike theory test, get learner permit and then do Initial Basic Training (16 hours). How long this will all take will depend on location.

I would hold off getting a bike until you finish your IBT. You will have a much better idea of what type of bike you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks, I'm really wanting an 883 and to make the following / similar customisations

http://youtu.be/3_sHdEggobQ
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Done Deal is probably the best place for finding bikes. There's also Bike Buyers Guide, but the ads tend to be out of date.

Before you can ride a bike on your own you will need to do a bike theory test, get learner permit and then do Initial Basic Training (16 hours). How long this will all take will depend on location.

I would hold off getting a bike until you finish your IBT. You will have a much better idea of what type of bike you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You can use this link to tell you how much you'll pay to VRT a UK import- there is no VAT as this would have already been paid in the EU when the bike was registered in the UK.

My advice to anyone interested in getting into bikes for the first time is go get your theory test, go to the NDLS for your learner permit, go and complete IBT (on a school bike and with school gear) and just take it from there. You'll know everything you need to know after this IMO.

It's good to have ambitions and it's good to know what you want. Look at this thread for example :) I got my GSX1400 as my second ever bike ever in 08 and I still have it in my garage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

definitely do IBT before buying a bike. some people think they really want to go the bike route, but once they try it, realize its not actually for them. would be a pain for you to be one of those small percentage.
    also that way you could actually take the bike for a test ride before buying

editing to add, just watched your linked video, damn thats nice. something i never thought i would say about a HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If I had the money to spend on customizing an 883 I'd rather spend that on a 1200 Sportster and take a little longer over the customizing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

You'll never go wrong with a 1200 Blockhead, the Sportster engine is near bulletproof with superior engineering design & workmanship.

It should have been duplicated & made larger for the big bikes instead of using the Twin-Cam engines IMHO

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Where are you planning on buying the HD ?? :pac:

Advertisement