If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house build - media wiring questions

Options
  • 25-06-2015 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm building a new house and have the electrician doing a first fix. I've a 'TV man' calling tomorrow so I hope he can help but if there's any useful tips that would be great. Here's a few questions:

1. What types and how many cables should be wired to a telly these days to future proof so that I can pick up Saorview/satellite/Internet 'signals'?

2. A lot of my TVs will be wall mounted. I plan on tracking the wall and burying about 4 HDMI cables from where the TV will be mounted down to where I hope to house the DVD player, media player, etc.. Would it make more sense to bury one HDMI which will be connected to the tv and connect the other end to a receiver or even a 'HDMI expansion port' (I just made that up).

3. I'm tracking the walls for speaker cables for a 5.1 home cinema setup.

4. If I install a 7.1 receiver then could I run 2 cables from it to a central area, e.g. utility room and allow connections from these to other rooms, i.e. is there a way to split them and branch them around the house?

5. In my utility room I hope to run as many service ducts back to it. What sort of devices could I use in the utility room to share media, e.g. could I have a 'media box'/PC sit here and let me access it from other rooms? What cable would allow me to pipe this media around the house?

Thanks very much for any help.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hi Barney, thanks for your email,

Bit of an interesting one to answer so I hope I can cover it all for you :)

1) Cabling to a certain extent depends on the TV , but generally to a TV you would want 3-4 coaxial cables, 2 HDMi, 2 Cat5/6 and your mains - this should cover most things but isn't a set rule

2) If you are planning to have a surround sound amp for the TV, then yes you could just run 1 HDMi up to the screen and do the switching within the amplifier (again may depend on the amp/TV combo whether you're wanting 3d/4k etc)

4) I'm not quite understanding your question. Are you wanting to feed all sources out to other rooms in the house (audio)?
    Some amps will let you use the extra 2 channels as a 2nd room, but splitting this up into further rooms wouldn't be advisable to be honest - for one it will greatly diminish the sound quality, it would play all rooms at the same volume, and each room couldn't be turned off individually.
    You could look at the likes of the Denon Heos multiroom system if you're wanting to play music etc through several rooms - Its a dedicated multiroom streaming system, which also has a dedicated soundbar to integrate with the music system
    http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/heos

5) Just to check do you mean audio or video media to distribute throughout the house? If you want to distribute video sources ie Bluray/MediaPC etc, you would be better to look at an HDMi Matrix, which generally has 4-6 sources and 4-6 outputs (TVs). This is usually distributed over Cat5/6 to the different rooms

Any other questions please let me know

Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Instead of a hdmi cable can you just double up on cat 6 and use this in place of the hdmi to stream media to each tv from a central hub 

hexosan wrote: »
    Instead of a hdmi cable can you just double up on cat 6 and use this in place of the hdmi to stream media to each tv from a central hub 
    hi Hexosan, If you are using a matrix type system, generally yes they would have cat6 outputs for audio/video, with a balon/convertor in at the rear of the TV to connect a short HDMi lead - it can vary between systems  but generally if you have 2 cat6 to each tv point you should be covered

Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Thanks for your help Brian. Can you recommend a good quality cable to connect my speakers back to the receiver or are they all of the same quality?

Thanks Barney,

I wouldnt go anything too basic (have seen places wired with bell-wire which just ruins a system)

On the other side with long runs involved I'm sure you don't want anything too expensive :) - something like the Cambridge Audio Symphony 200 is what we would usually use for wiring multiroom systems at €1.99 per metre - tho depending on what length you'd need, we could sell you a 200m roll for €215 inc shipping
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-100101-symphony-200.aspx

Cheers
    Brian

• Advertisement

Thanks Barney,

I wouldnt go anything too basic (have seen places wired with bell-wire which just ruins a system)

On the other side with long runs involved I'm sure you don't want anything too expensive :) - something like the Cambridge Audio Symphony 200 is what we would usually use for wiring multiroom systems at €1.99 per metre - tho depending on what length you'd need, we could sell you a 200m roll for €215 inc shipping

Cheers
    Brian
    It's more for the one sitting room, i.e. wiring from the receiver out to the home cinema speakers in the same room. We'll be tracking walls next week so want to get good quality cables in there now).

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Thanks Barney,

Cheers
    Brian
    It's more for the one sitting room, i.e. wiring from the receiver out to the home cinema speakers in the same room. We'll be tracking walls next week so want to get good quality cables in there now).
    Well again depending on the speakers, unless theyre a high level/bi-wire speaker the symphony 200 is a great cable for the money. What speakers are you using?

I bought small (hand size) Tannoy speakers from your Belfast store some years ago but they'd be useless (I'd say) in a big room. So, I's be looking for floor standing ones. I also bought a Denon receiver with the speakers but it has no HDMI connectivity. I'll use this system in another room. So symphony 200 would be a good, all round wire for a decent receiver?

For using the same receiver for playing music is it worth getting 2 additional speakers or just use the 5.1 home cinema 5 speaker system? If not then again what cable can you suggest - the Symphony 200 again?

I've had a look at your cables here. For just wiring a room for home cinema would it be worth upgrading the Symphony? I assume the dearer the cables the better the quality?

I won't be going anywhere near top of the range in any of this - just a sensible system that's good but won't break the bank! :pac:

Yea if you are moving the system to another room, then on those speakers the 200 would be more than enough. If you are wanting to use this receiver for music only though, I would suggest getting a pair of bookshelf/floorstanding speakers as music will always sound much better in stereo through conventional hifi speakers, rather than using surround processing through a sat/sub system

For the system in the main room, if you are going for floorstanders, i would upgrade the cable for the fronts and Centre. If they were bi-wire speakers, for example the Monitor Audio BX5 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10814-bronze-bx5-black.aspx at €399 - i would definitely go to the Audioquest FLX - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200247-flx-slip-144.aspx - at €7.49 per meter, as this would give a massive improvement on sound quality.The 200 cable would be more than enough for the rears in the cinema room.

Hope this helps

Yea if you are moving the system to another room, then on those speakers the 200 would be more than enough. If you are wanting to use this receiver for music only though, I would suggest getting a pair of bookshelf/floorstanding speakers as music will always sound much better in stereo through conventional hifi speakers, rather than using surround processing through a sat/sub system

For the system in the main room, if you are going for floorstanders, i would upgrade the cable for the fronts and Centre. If they were bi-wire speakers, for example the Monitor Audio BX5 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-10814-bronze-bx5-black.aspx at €399 - i would definitely go to the Audioquest FLX - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200247-flx-slip-144.aspx - at €7.49 per meter, as this would give a massive improvement on sound quality.The 200 cable would be more than enough for the rears in the cinema room.

Hope this helps
    Yes, VERY helpful, thanks Brian!

• Advertisement

Hope this helps
    Yes, VERY helpful, thanks Brian!
    no probs, anything else you need give us a shout

Is it possible to publish a sample list of what's needed to setup a 5 speaker home cinema system in a room? Also, whatever also is needed to listen to music in the same room? Cables also please :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭greasepalm

hi folks wondered why you said 3-4 coax cables,saorview,upc,sat x 2?

maybe tvs bought have sat and saorview.

need a lan cable to tv if smart

never have enough hdmi for tv and best to have many good quality used.

in the wall installs will you be able to replace a cable if faulty ,make pipework bigger to allow adding a cable with a cable pull through?

hdmi automatic switches and i have 3 and they dont change automatically if using on satboxes,dvd when powered on will switch ok.

nearly forgot spdif/optical feeds or digital for 5-1 ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Folks,

Please take note of the Charter for the forum, queries here are for Richersounds. If you wish to give advice to others about these matters, feel free to visit the Home Entertainment forums where such advice and discussion is welcome and needed.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

I was asking a question here not putting forward a suggestion. 

Just off the phone with you Brian and want to conclude with the final arrangement for my home cinema/music cabling setup:

3 front speakers all wired with Audioquest FLX - high quality and also allows for splitting the bass and treble for listening to music.
    2 rears using Cambridge Audio Symphony 200

For the sub-woofer cable I'll just have to leave this out for now (won't be tracking it into the wall) and have it sit out from the wall. There's a head on it apparently and also not too flexible so hiding it in the wall may not be practical.

One last question Brian, where the wires come out of the walls, is there any need to put a plate around them (is there any available) or is it just ok to have the wire come straight out from the wall (it will be most likely hidden by the speaker anyway) and connect directly into the speaker?

Just off the phone with you Brian and want to conclude with the final arrangement for my home cinema/music cabling setup:

3 front speakers all wired with Audioquest FLX - high quality and also allows for splitting the bass and treble for listening to music.
    2 rears using Cambridge Audio Symphony 200

For the sub-woofer cable I'll just have to leave this out for now (won't be tracking it into the wall) and have it sit out from the wall. There's a head on it apparently and also not too flexible so hiding it in the wall may not be practical.

One last question Brian, where the wires come out of the walls, is there any need to put a plate around them (is there any available) or is it just ok to have the wire come straight out from the wall (it will be most likely hidden by the speaker anyway) and connect directly into the speaker?
    Ideally they should be brought out into a backbox with a plate, purely as if the cable gets damaged etc its much easier to pull it back and replace it. you could then either drill a hole in the blank plate, or depending on cable/plate take a bit out of the bottom to bring the cable out neatly. Its really down to yourself aesthetically, but a cable brought out and plastered in place is a lot harder to replace.

Cheers
    Brian

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

If you want to bring multiple cable through the wall then something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281413622601?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Is handy, inexpensive and neat..

$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

However if its just speaker cable you can get a proper faceplate with 4mm banana sockets..

Saves the spiders climbing out of the walls :)

keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Hi Brian can you still get the 200m roll for €215? And how do you go about ordering it online?

Regards,
    GH
     - something like the Cambridge Audio Symphony 200 is what we would usually use for wiring multiroom systems at €1.99 per metre - tho depending on what length you'd need, we could sell you a 200m roll for €215 inc shipping

Cheers
    Brian

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Brian can you still get the 200m roll for €215? And how do you go about ordering it online?

Regards,
    GH
     - something like the Cambridge Audio Symphony 200 is what we would usually use for wiring multiroom systems at €1.99 per metre - tho depending on what length you'd need, we could sell you a 200m roll for €215 inc shipping

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Granite Head.

Unfortunately you would need to give us a call to get the discounted price as we have no way of changing the price online.

You can drop me a contact number for you in a PM or you can get me on 0044 333 900 0070

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Granite Head

Regards,
    GH

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Granite Head.

Unfortunately you would need to give us a call to get the discounted price as we have no way of changing the price online.

You can drop me a contact number for you in a PM or you can get me on 0044 333 900 0070
    Thanks Kenny.

I will also need to order @15m of Audioquest FLX but won't have an exact measure until this evening.

Regards,
    GH

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Regards,
    GH

Cheers
    Brian
    Hi Granite Head.

Thanks Kenny.

I will also need to order @15m of Audioquest FLX but won't have an exact measure until this evening.

Regards,
    GH
    No problem at all GH.

Let me know once you have measured up.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.