Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ways of running 63Amp kiln with single phase household electrics?

Options
  • 26-06-2015 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a second hand kiln which pulls 63 amps, meaning my system would need 80 amps so as all other household electric stuff isn't affected. (That sound about right?)
    It's a 3-phase kiln which would need to be re-wired for single phase.

I know pretty much nothing about this stuff, so just wondering is there any way to make things work or is this particular kiln just not an option for me? it's a good deal, so I'm not really looking for advice on what other kilns might be out there. Just want to know if there's any magic box I can buy that'll sort the amps issue?!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do you know what the wattage is?
    If something is listed as 63amp 3 phase, that would usually mean its 63amps per phase.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This kiln can not be made suitable for your supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Bruthal wrote: »
    Do you know what the wattage is?
    If something is listed as 63amp 3 phase, that would usually mean its 63amps per phase.

hi, it's 63 amps single phase and 32amps per phase when wired as 3-phase.

Wattage is 13.5kW and voltage is 380/220volts. Any helpful info much appreciated

2011 wrote: »
    This kiln can not be made suitable for your supply.

Well can my supply be made suitable for the kiln then?
    (Stupid question maybe?)

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

You can get a 3 phase supply...be prepared to pay a lot for it.

• Advertisement

If it was a kiln with 3 elements, and single phase was around 63 amps, 3 phase should be around 20 amps per phase.

Anyway, as said, the standard domestic supply would be a little small for that.

What make is it? Any link?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well can my supply be made suitable for the kiln then?
    (Stupid question maybe?)

Yes. But as stated above this is unlikely to be cheap.

Bruthal wrote: »
    If it was a kiln with 3 elements, and single phase was around 63 amps, 3 phase should be around 20 amps per phase.

Anyway, as said, the standard domestic supply would be a little small for that.

What make is it? Any link?

Here's link to the closest available equivalent to buy new......
    http://www.ulsterceramicspotterysupplies.co.uk/catalog2/product_info.php/code-7215-810-college-p-901

As an aside, any thoughts opinions on this kiln good or bad are welcome too. Cheers

2011 wrote: »
    Yes. But as stated above this is unlikely to be cheap.

Ok. Just out out of interest, would it mean changing the power supply in the entire house and complicate the running of normal household items designed for single phase? or would you just get a dual system of some sort? are we talking in the thousands here would anyone know?

Ok. Just out out of interest, would it mean changing the power supply in the entire house and complicate the running of normal household items designed for single phase? or would you just get a dual system of some sort? are we talking in the thousands here would anyone know?

It would involve a 3 phase supply to the house. Everything else would work as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

You can get an enhanced supply from the ESB . The elements are single phase spread over 3 phases , so if the ESB can give you the supply you could run the kiln. They organised a 125A single phase supply for me in one place where 3 phase was not available. Usually an enhanced supply is 80A but higher is available. You need to talk to the ESB first before you buy it.
    You will also need to run it on night rate which is the way most are run. There will be costs involved to upgrade your tails , board etc . The controller for the Kiln pulls in a contactor to energise the elements a bit of changing is required there as well. You need to talk to the ESB first

solargain wrote: »
    You can get an enhanced supply from the ESB . The elements are single phase spread over 3 phases , so if the ESB can give you the supply you could run the kiln. They organised a 125A single phase supply for me in one place where 3 phase was not available. Usually an enhanced supply is 80A but higher is available. You need to talk to the ESB first before you buy it.
    You will also need to run it on night rate which is the way most are run. There will be costs involved to upgrade your tails , board etc . The controller for the Kiln pulls in a contactor to energise the elements a bit of changing is required there as well. You need to talk to the ESB first

I doubt that a single phase supply can be "enhanced" that much.
    My advice to the OP is if you are going to do it, do it right and get a 3 phase supply.
    Is there a gas option?

There might be other options or gas equivalents but I'm only really asking about this particular kiln and options because it's a 2nd hand one at a more affordable price. Thanks for all the info guys.

Advertisement