Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent negotiation

Options
  • 26-06-2015 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Apologises if this is a repeated question as only stumbled across this forum now. Trying to find a new house to rent at the moment and one house has been up online a few days and I'm going to view it next week. The price is down as 800 a month. No mention of o.n.o. Would the landlord/letting agency be open to negotiating this price say if I offered 750 or would that look bad? Haven't rented in a few years so unsure of how things work these days. Any advice would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭54and56

wat24 wrote: »
    Apologises if this is a repeated question as only stumbled across this forum now. Trying to find a new house to rent at the moment and one house has been up online a few days and I'm going to view it next week. The price is down as 800 a month. No mention of o.n.o. Would the landlord/letting agency be open to negotiating this price say if I offered 750 or would that look bad? Haven't rented in a few years so unsure of how things work these days. Any advice would be great thanks

All depends on how much demand there will be for the house. If you don't think anyone will pay the asking price then offering €750 may well fly but my advice is you should make the offer time contingent ie the landlord has 48 hours to accept otherwise you will out an offer on another house which is #2 I your list.

Lb the other hand if you think there will be a lot of demand at the asking price you might need h to go straight in at €850 if you want to secure the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If a house is up for a few days, at €800, and you have a viewing NEXT WEEK, it's obviously not in the crazy zone of Dublin etc.

I'd be probably going in with a low ball offer. ****ing hell €800..... I'm paying over €1200 for my rented house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Where is the house?
    Rental accommodation is at its lowest level in 12 years.
    If there is a sniff of a chance that the property could be let (aka if its not incredibly rural in nature)- its not worth your while trying to get the 50 quid off- as someone else will simply pay it, and you'll be left high and dry.

Location is key here. Is the property in a location that the landlord will be able to let it. If so- just pay the asking and run with it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Was recently looking to rent on a good part of Dublin's northside - got chatting to the bloke [owner, lived next door to this house] and not only could he have arranged 3 or 4 packed viewings. When he did one and asked folks a selected group to come, folks were people offering months rent and a month deposit in cash on that first viewing, it eventually was rented for more than asking price [he offered me the chance to pay more and take it...]..

..so for good places in good areas are INSANE at the moment rental wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was recently looking to rent on a good part of Dublin's northside - got chatting to the bloke [owner, lived next door to this house] and not only could he have arranged 3 or 4 packed viewings. When he did one and asked folks a selected group to come, folks were people offering months rent and a month deposit in cash on that first viewing, it eventually was rented for more than asking price [he offered me the chance to pay more and take it...]..

..so for good places in good areas are INSANE at the moment rental wise..

My current house, I went to meet the landlord for a viewing. A group of men were just exiting, and trying to push an envelope to him. Long story short basically four men wanted to rent the house, and were offering him higher then advertised rent, two months in advance, in cash.

I got a good feeling he was legit as he was telling me he told them he wanted to ensure all other people booked for a viewing got to see the house. Was only as we were walking around yapping he was telling me about other viewings, then reflecting on that group and I just mentioned" Yeah you need to careful, sure if that's four lads with kids, and partners, that's a lot of people crammed in here". Kinda just looked at me, clearly he didn't even think of that.

Gave me the same treatment at the end, saying that he felt obliged to ensure the others that were booked in got to look, but he enjoyed meeting me and that he would be happy letting to me and my girlfriend ( who was expecting our first at the time) as ideally he wanted to get a irish, young family in.

Got a call that night saying his wife told him to stop being a moron, and if it felt right just do it :D

Point being while it is mental out there, good account of yourself and a bit of rapport can go a long way. I've a great relationship with my landlord, who dropped over presents at Christmas( and we returned the favour ) along with some presents once our daughter was born.

In saying that before this house ( and it was one of those meant to be, as it was the best of the lot) we had a few viewings for other places that got absolutely snapped up. We went to a group viewing in River Valley where as we walked through the front door a group shouted " we will take it, right now" and then a verbal bidding war ensued with the letting agent looking perplexed, we just turned around and walked out.

I'd probably offer your €750, and if they immediately rebuff just take it at €800, if they linger about it, you know they've had hassle letting it and might strengthen your hand.

What area is the house in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

It's in Waterford City. This time last year most 3 bedroom houses were 600-650 to rent in the area this year they've gone up to 800-850. Thanks for the advice seems like best thing to do is go with full asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

wat24 wrote: »
    It's in Waterford City. This time last year most 3 bedroom houses were 600-650 to rent in the area this year they've gone up to 800-850. Thanks for the advice seems like best thing to do is go with full asking price.

I thought waterford would have low demand . I know as others have said Dublin prices are up high . DUBLIN 15 its 1250 plus for a three bed semi. But with that all services are near by and theres a concentration of employers locally

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

Where I'm looking is in an area close to the hospital which draws in a lot of doctors nurses etc and is in general a nicer side of the city to be honest so it's always in high demand but still definitely noticed a big increase from prices seem to be up 100-150 from last year

Advertisement