Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16ft cuddy boat

Options
  • 26-06-2015 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I recently bought a 16ft cuddy boat and I'm looking for any suggestions or ideas ye might have for when I'm doing her up also names and what size engine do ye think would be economical for her? Also what brand rod would ye recommend for the boat !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Lake? River? Sea?

I'd imagine it would toodle along just fine with a 6 to 20HP outboard. If you're on a lake, you could keep it small so that you could troll for pike at a controllable speed.

It actually all depends on what kind of boat it is - your description is a bit vague. It might be a Hardy, Shetland, Mayland, Seasafe, etc. and these all have different characteristics.

As for the rod, it depends on where you're fishing. If you're going out on the sea in Kerry, you probably want something strong enough for conger as well as something for mackerel and in between. If you're on a lake in Cavan, you want something for pike as well as something smaller for tench, etc.

Basically, the more info you provide, the better the quality of responses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClifdenAngler

Thanks a million ill be using it for boat lake and sea mostly sea it's a shetland boat and I have a millenium spinning rod I use for the river and also a senzor-7 as a back up would these be any good to me on the sea? I'd be fishing now for pollock, mackeral, cod, gunner, ray and I few other lads I also have a boat rod with a multiplier reel and it has brought up 7lb cod for me before easily so I'd imagine it'd be strong enough I'm fishing in and out of clifden bay in connemara I think I'll go with a 9hp engine
    Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I like the Shetland, although it can roll a bit when drifting - since you're doing both lake & sea, I presume you have it on a trailer.

For rods, if your spinning rod isn't too long, it'll do fine, but a long rod can be a pain on a boat. Use it with a jelly worm for pollock - once you try that you'll be hooked yourself!

Any 20lb class boat rod is probably fine for Irish waters, although if you go out on Clew Bay after skate, you'll probably need a bit more oomph. I believe they're monsters over there, although they're protected so you have to put them back, no matter how big.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you are going to sea I would be looking at bigger than a 9 hp at least a 15 hp, the cuddy can act like a sail and when your going against the tide or a current you will be glad of the extra power. I'd be happy with a 25 hp and have the 9 hp as an aux.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClifdenAngler

Yeah I already have a 20hp mariner engine but Id imagine it'd be too much for the lakes like. So I'll just swap engine when using it on the lake thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement