Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appealing thesis grade

• 26-06-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Hey guys, I was just wondering has anyone had any success appealing a masters thesis grade ? Or is it just a goose chase

I got mine back there recently and after having two years of low to mid 60s in results I was shocked to find I got only 55..

The mark has brought me down to 58 which in turn has given me a 2-2 masters I am throughly gutted because the feedback I got throughout the year was very positive. Myself and my supervisor had good communication throughout the year also

Comments

Other than the fact it's lower than you had expected, what grounds do you have for appeal? Do you think the marker has made some sort of mistake? Can you have an informal talk with your supervisor to find out where you went wrong?

You need to find a compelling reason why the mark should be upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There should be a marking rubric that clearly determines where the marks are awarded, or not in your case.

So have the informal chat with your supervisor, go over the marking and then decide if you want to go to the formal complaint route. And remember, spurious claims are not entertained, as Alberto Fast Saliva says, you need to have pretty compelling reasons to lodge an appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Thanks for the answers guys. He emailed me back and a chat has been organised Monday.

I am just a bit deflated over the whole thing cause even a few percent more in the thesis would have given me a reasonable MA final grade. He has told me that the external examiner was extremely critical over some aspects of the thesis. The reason I would want an appeal as no alarm bells were raised during the construction of this thesis and I was led to believe it was a solid argument.

I will go Monday and see if I can go the formal route or I will just leave it.

Thank you both for your advice. :)

Advertisement