Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl weed whacker multi tool

Options
  • 26-06-2015 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=528

Has this been on offer before?
    Anyone any experience of it?
    Would you buy?
    Any idea of the type of cord feed? Auto bump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Also interested in this one, trying to look up what engine it is. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I'm interested also. Would love any info possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Tempting, if it was for home use grand, if you used it and looked after it and didn't abuse it I'd say grand.
    That extra long hedge trimming thing is very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll likely be a Chinese generic engine. Don't expect to see a top name on it.

Having said that, I bought a £99 petrol strimmer from eBay about 3yrs ago which was similar and it's going strong and never given an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 DrivingIsFun

I think I will get this. I have very little tools and this looks like it covers a lot.

I got one and can't wait to take it out of the box and play with it, being used to more expensive stuff in the landscaping game i hope it's 1/2 decent.

Went to get one this morning at 9.15 and they were sold out. Did'nt realise they opened at 8!
    My neighbour got one though and I had a look at it. Seems quite flimsy and low in power, especially the pruner attachment. But should be ok for normal light work all the same.
    No longer dissappointed!

red sean wrote: »
    Went to get one this morning at 9.15 and they were sold out. Did'nt realise they opened at 8!
    My neighbour got one though and I had a look at it. Seems quite flimsy and low in power, especially the pruner attachment. But should be ok for normal light work all the same.
    No longer dissappointed!

Spot of cognitive cognitive dissonance
    at work. I got mine at about 2pm.

Lets have a put them together together BBQ, someone's garden who has lots of bushes that we can hack down to test them.
    Anyone volunteering their garden for the slaughter?

• Advertisement

No cognitive dissonance at all. Would have bought it if they had some and would have been good enough for what I need it for.
    The manager said they got in 30 and all were gone by 8.30. I'll have to wait and see if Aldi get something similar shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Personally - no I wouldn't buy it.

I've had similar from Woodies, and it just did not last. In the end it was replaced four times each with a "slightly improved" variant. The 25cc original was replaced with a 30cc. OK for a couple of goes. Then that was replaced with the "new" elecric start job. Then with a four stoke.

In the end I went to the guy that actually maintains the things - the lawn mower guy in town. I bought a strimmer, hedge trimmer and a chain saw and got away for €500.

That was 2012 and they're all still going strong - plus if any need a tune-up, adjustment, sharpen or replacement part this guy is always ready to help.

If this Lidl one goes wrong the best you'll get is a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DrivingIsFun

Missed out :-(

Personally - no I wouldn't buy it.

I've had similar from Woodies, and it just did not last. In the end it was replaced four times each with a "slightly improved" variant. The 25cc original was replaced with a 30cc. OK for a couple of goes. Then that was replaced with the "new" elecric start job. Then with a four stoke.

In the end I went to the guy that actually maintains the things - the lawn mower guy in town. I bought a strimmer, hedge trimmer and a chain saw and got away for €500.

That was 2012 and they're all still going strong - plus if any need a tune-up, adjustment, sharpen or replacement part this guy is always ready to help.

If this Lidl one goes wrong the best you'll get is a refund.

All gone by the time I got to my local Lidl. 500 for the three? Pretty good. What brand(s)? Any yes, you have probably done the right thing in the long run,

galljga1 wrote: »
    All gone by the time I got to my local Lidl. ,

You probably saved 150 ;).

500 for the three? Pretty good. What brand(s)? Any yes, you have probably done the right thing in the long run
    I'll check the make (all 3 the same) later today. They're nothing to show off about and they're probably made in China like everything else.

The point though is that this guy maintains them and can get the spares. He also hires them out - which says quite a bit.

Sadly this type of 'proper shop' is dying out here - its all but disappeared in the UK.

Edit: The make of all three is "Kutmower"

You probably saved 150 ;).

I'll check the make (all 3 the same) later today. They're nothing to show off about and they're probably made in China like everything else.

The point though is that this guy maintains them and can get the spares. He also hires them out - which says quite a bit.

Sadly this type of 'proper shop' is dying out here - its all but disappeared in the UK.

Edit: The make of all three is "Kutmower"

Looks like 600 euro for the three at the moment.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Looks like 600 euro for the three at the moment.

Sure, they've gone up a bit - but if they last ;)

How about this:http://www.timberpro-uk.com/timberpro-5-in-1-petrol-multi-garden-tool/
    52 cc engine versus the Lidl 26cc. About €25 delivery.

How about this:http://www.timberpro-uk.com/timberpro-5-in-1-petrol-multi-garden-tool/
    52 cc engine versus the Lidl 26cc. About €25 delivery.

I couldn't see who makes the engine but it sounds OK.

The problem (as I see it) with those 3 in 1, 4 in 1 or whatever is this:

~ when the engine packs up or just needs a service, none of those tools work.

~ if you need to replace the motor unit unless you can get the exact same one again, the existing tools won't fit the new motor - that's what happened to me with the Woodies one. They had to replace the tools each time.

~ that the thing breaks half way to accept a tool is an area of potential weakness. The strimmer I have now is just one 6foot piece. No joint to get gunked up or break. Everytime you change an implement is another chance for a bit of crud or debris to go into that joint andmash it up.

I'd also wonder how often anyone needs that chainsaw on an extension bar. When I had it, I used it but not for cutting high up branches. If the tree is that overgrown, you probably want it down completely.

Just my 2 cents, but over the years I've come to the conclusion that:

~ Buy cheap - buy twice

~ Machines that claim to do everything, end up doing nothing well

Was talking about it with a mate, wondered how they can give a year warranty, my mate said most will lose the receipt or it'll break from misuse not just worn out. Good points I suppose. So I pit my receipt somewhere safe and put a once a month reminder in my phone of it. My mate has same Stil multi ish tool, he's got little caps to put on the ends of the tools when they not in use, good idea, he also uses really high quality 2 stroke oil.

• Advertisement

I couldn't see who makes the engine but it sounds OK.

The problem (as I see it) with those 3 in 1, 4 in 1 or whatever is this:

~ when the engine packs up or just needs a service, none of those tools work.

~ if you need to replace the motor unit unless you can get the exact same one again, the existing tools won't fit the new motor - that's what happened to me with the Woodies one. They had to replace the tools each time.

~ that the thing breaks half way to accept a tool is an area of potential weakness. The strimmer I have now is just one 6foot piece. No joint to get gunked up or break. Everytime you change an implement is another chance for a bit of crud or debris to go into that joint andmash it up.

I'd also wonder how often anyone needs that chainsaw on an extension bar. When I had it, I used it but not for cutting high up branches. If the tree is that overgrown, you probably want it down completely.

Just my 2 cents, but over the years I've come to the conclusion that:

~ Buy cheap - buy twice

~ Machines that claim to do everything, end up doing nothing well
    I agree, but.............theres a lot of people who can't afford to spend €5-600 on 2 seperate tools that'll only be used a few times a year. Especially when you're only doing light work for yourself.
    Then, it makes more sense to buy a 4-in-1 tool for half the price.
    I've spoken to a mechanic about the engines, and they're potential problems, and he says most engines/equipment coming back broken to the hire shop where he works have been either abused or misused. And they're big brand names.
    So I suppose the moral of the story is, if you're on a tight budget and only have diy work to do, then the Lidl/Aldi type equipment is good enough.

I agree, but.............theres a lot of people who can't afford to spend €5-600 on 2 seperate tools that'll only be used a few times a year. Especially when you're only doing light work for yourself.
    Then, it makes more sense to buy a 4-in-1 tool for half the price.
    I've spoken to a mechanic about the engines, and they're potential problems, and he says most engines/equipment coming back broken to the hire shop where he works have been either abused or misused. And they're big brand names.
    So I suppose the moral of the story is, if you're on a tight budget and only have diy work to do, then the Lidl/Aldi type equipment is good enough.

Fair points. Though if you only had 150/200 to spend buying the thing you most need like a strimmer might be the way to go.

Unless you have a lot of hedging, you could probably get away quite easily with decent shears.

I'm not on any sort of crusade - I just hate to see people buying unwisely, and its usually those that have the least that end up with the crocks of $hit.

I'd never spend 500 a piece for each of these things, it's really only 3 things, a strimmer is a strimmer no matter if it has a blade or cord.
    150 i'll get back doing a wee hedge so it was worth giving it a go, I need the extension bit, so that bit of work will pay for it, I like tools and machines so it's fun to have it to try out too.
    I am used to more high spec stuff so I hope it doesn't drive me too mad!

But yeah it's important to not hack through stuff with the hedge trimmer and make sure you mix the petrol oil right and don't get grit etc. in the tank.

Well I think mine is for the skip already, used it twice, once last week and toady.
    Was hedge trimming and a clattering noise started coming from it, somewhere inside the engine but, sounds like a bearing.
    Any tips on returning it? Don't think I want it replaced, just my cash back and buy maybe a hedge trimmer on it's own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A sad end to another Liddly Diddly tool. Reminds me of the electric chainsaw I bought there. I spent ages trying to keep it going, but bits of soft metal were shearing off inside the gearbox; total waste of time.

Can you not return them for refund?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

waste of time buying power tools in lidl/aldi, from my experience, and from what i've heard from other people.
    yes, you can return them but it's not worth the 20 or 30 quid you save, compared with the hassle of returning them and having a job left interrupted until you can replace them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can you not return them for refund?

I just said it stopped working, it didn't it sounded fooked though and was. They ddin't look at it or touch it just gave my money back. I'm guessing they're very used to it.
    It was a lot more then a saving of 20 or 30 euro if it had actually worked. To buy all the same capabilities in something like stihl would cost a fortune. I bought a Stihl hedge trimmer for 400. It's great, you get what you pay for. I do look after a few gardens so i need something that lasts all day not something you need to rest every 30mins.
    If you were just tipping away at home with lidl stuff it might be ok.

• Advertisement

Admittedly if you buy good quality stuff like Stihl then you'll pay more, but its gonna last you years if properly serviced.

Its unlikely, but not impossible, that a Lidl bought unit will last as long.

As I said, I bought a TruShopping petrol strimmer cheap off eBay about 4 years ago and use it a lot over the summer months as I have a decent sized site, and its still going well for me. I might have got lucky. I was thinking about buying a Stihl for 4 or 5 times the price but couldn't justify it at the time, but should anything ever happen this one, I will buy a good brand one next, probably secondhand as well.

Advertisement