Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish tank filters

Options
  • 26-06-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I just got a Juwel 60 54l tank second hand. It came with a filter that hangs from the back(unsure of the make). I also have an interpet pf mini from my first try at fish keeping.

I will be starting the set up shortly and getting fish in about a month.

Could/should I use both at the same time. I was thinking of putting the pf mini at 90 degrees to the other filter to push the falling water down the tank.

I also got an airlift filter with the tank but don't have an air pump, so its shelved for the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paranoid user

Ok so I can use two filters. Looked it up and I should be OK. But I'd like an opinion on my idea of setting them up at a right angle to each other.

Would it stress the fish out having water flow in two directions or would it be more natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It depends on the fish you're planning to keep, some love high flow, others hate it. Bettas (which I know you were thinking of keeping), tend to prefer low to moderate flow.

The PF Mini is a fairly small filter though so unless the HOB filter has a very high rating (check for tank size / litres per hour ratings on it or if there's anything else written on it, google it to see if you can identify it).

My personal opinion is that you can't really get too much filtration without a serious effort: My 180l freshwater tank has both an upgraded powerhead for the internal filter and an external filter and I've had fish breed in that tank which is generally the best indicator that things are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paranoid user

turns out the hanging filter is rated for 180 liters per hour were the PF mini is rated for 200 liters per hour.

Advertisement