Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breaking: Terror attack on French gas factory, several casualties

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

I wasn't implying it was necessarily cause for celebration. You can feel how you like about it. All I meant was that I think, to the best of my knowledge, Ireland would be less of a target than other EU countries. As I said, I could be totally wrong, and the new lads might say we're western enough with enough ties to the US and the UK anyway.

The US military use of Shannon airport would probably be the most likely cause for concern but I don't think we even register on their list of potential targets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sky news says Intelligence sources say this is the tip of the iceberg and that they have something major planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sky news says Intelligence sources say this is the tip of the iceberg and that they have something major planned.

Yep it wouldn't be like Sky News to just make a vague, unsubstantiated announcement that might keep people in fear and/or tuned to their news channel of course...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I'm aware of Jemaah Islamiyah but personally I don't see them as much of a "global caliphate and kill all people who are non believers" gang.

More like a local mob. They were blamed for the Bali bombing which conveniently swayed Australian public opinion towards war in Iraq but that's pretty much it.

crockholm wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge,Swedish,Austrian and German authorities have prevented attacks in their respective countries this year(maybe it was last year in Sweden),so it does happen, me aul guggo.

OK....if you have details I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Nonsense. Pure guess work. I think the terrorists failed in their major goal today in France which was possibly blowing up a chemical factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Nonsense. Pure guess work. I think the terrorists failed in their major goal today in France which was possibly blowing up a chemical factory.

Can't be sure it's guesswork...I'll be avoiding London for a while after this.

If ISIS are responsible for the attacks in France and Tunisia and are so "media savvy" how come they haven't claimed that responsibility yet like the attack in Kuwait?

fr336 wrote: »
    Can't be sure it's guesswork...I'll be avoiding London for a while after this.

Ah come off it :pac:

Ah come off it :pac:

Well I'd rather be an alive 'idiot' than dead. Not that I had anything booked up or anything, but do like to take the occasionally day up there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Four attacks in different countries today.
    Seems to have been a concerted plan.

Four attacks in different countries today.
    Seems to have been a concerted plan.

Except two of them were likely 'business as usual'.

Well I'd rather be an alive 'idiot' than dead. Not that I had anything booked up or anything, but do like to take the occasionally day up there!

Oh well your choice of course but in a city of some 10m people I wouldn't blink on eyelid. I refuse to let these clowns let me change my way of life for them.

Reports now the victim of the attack was the boss of the attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sky news says stuff all the time.

24 hour news cycle with hourly bulletins + Kay Burleigh = intermittent speculation (bull5hit).

Oh well your choice of course but in a city of some 10m people I wouldn't blink on eyelid. I refuse to let these clowns let me change my way of life for them.

Well plenty of other things / places I could be going, I thought I was a stubborn bugger but clearly not as much as some! :p

lizzyman wrote: »
    The US military use of Shannon airport would probably be the most likely cause for concern but I don't think we even register on their list of potential targets.

But I thought they wanted to kill us because of our freedoms :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well plenty of other things / places I could be going, I thought I was a stubborn bugger but clearly not as much as some! :p

Your not a logical bugger. None of the locations hit today are major world capitals. If I were you I'd avoid Sligo for the time being. It's for the best. Just in case, like.

lizzyman wrote: »
    It is completely different but both are still wrong.

Firstly, execution no longer takes place in Europe (except Belarus). We have moved on from that kind of pointless retribution. We live in a liberal, tolerant Western democracy and I'll be damned if the likes of ISIS are going to drag us back down into the mire.

Secondly, to us they may seem like animals. Their friends and family may not support their actions but they are still somebody's son, daughter, husband, wife, brother, father etc. Executing these idiots would only make martyrs out of them and create sympathy and public outrage in the middle east.

The poster above me has answered your question about violence in Indonesia and Malaysia.

Islam does in fact espouse the spread of religion by violence. The earlier verses written when Mohammad had a very small band of followers tend to be all peaceful, butter wouldn't melt. The later ones, written after he had gathered huge support and spread his religion across the Arab peninsula is where the genocidal fun and games start.

But have you yourself ever researched why these guys are doing it? You seem to just say...."Ah the Qu'ran espouses violence, these guys are muslim, ergo they kill because the qu'ran told them to, QED".

That's a pretty simple-minded deduction to make.

What about the Iraqi resistance? I've seen plenty of video of ambushes and the guys doing the ambushing are chanting "allahu akbar". So were they ambushing American soldiers because the Qu'ran said so or were they fighting to defend their homeland from occupation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Egginacup wrote: »

What about the Iraqi resistance? I've seen plenty of video of ambushes and the guys doing the ambushing are chanting "allahu akbar". So were they ambushing American soldiers because the Qu'ran said so or were they fighting to defend their homeland from occupation?

Ukraine comes to mind for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There are 20 million Muslims in the EU. For a Religion of violent Jihad, with an apparent hive mind, they're doing a truly awful job of replacing European liberal democracies with an Islamic Caliphate.

Carry on with the hysterics though - that's precisely what these murdering ****ers want.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

endacl wrote: »
    Your not a logical bugger. None of the locations hit today are major world capitals. If I were you I'd avoid Sligo for the time being. It's for the best. Just in case, like.
    I'd avoid Sligo anyway - with or without IS:D

Well since you're more likely to be killed by a meteorite than in a terrorist attack, I'd say don't worry about London but get yourself and the wife and kids into some underground bunker and stay there for the rest of your life.

There are 20 million Muslims in the EU. For a Religion of violent Jihad, with an apparent hive mind, they're doing a truly awful job of replacing European liberal democracies with an Islamic Caliphate.

Carry on with the hysterics though - that's precisely what these murdering ****ers want.

Well done.

Yes it's almost like it's a tiny minority who are so scarcely resourced they can't even pull off a lot of their attacks in full.

Do some maths, those who seemingly wish an entire race of people off the earth off the back of the actions of a few.

Well since you're more likely to be killed by a meteorite than in a terrorist attack, I'd say don't worry about London but get yourself and the wife and kids into some underground bunker and stay where for the rest of your life.

Calm down dear :D I dunno, I can definitely relate to getting on a tube in London and being blown up rather than a meteorite strike considering the first happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

I dont care what anyone says but how can Europe accept all of the refugees from Africa when these barbarbic things are happening - by people who came to Europe in the first place

If we accept more, the problem will get worse and soon, it will be at our own doorsteps

I dont care what anyone says but how can Europe accept all of the refugees from Africa when these barbarbic things are happening - by people who came to Europe in the first place

If we accept more, the problem will get worse and soon, it will be at our own doorsteps

Indeed, one of the core principles behind the EU was to stop more wars but there are wars going on internally now it would seem...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

RIP to the Irish woman savagely murdered in Tunisia murdered by ISIS in the name of Islam.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0626/710815-tunisia-attack/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stinicker wrote: »
    RIP to the Irish woman savagely murdered in Tunisia murdered by ISIS in the name of Islam.

What about the other 27?

• Advertisement

Calm down dear :D I dunno, I can definitely relate to getting on a tube in London and being blown up rather than a meteorite strike considering the first happened.

Wouldn't prevent me from oggling all those London babes on the Tube.

Yes it's almost like it's a tiny minority who are so scarcely resourced they can't even pull off a lot of their attacks in full.

That minuscule minority would love nothing more than to see a cack-handed response carried out against the wider Muslim population that would begin to drive a wedge between 'us' and 'them' and alienate young Muslim men.

Of course we have our usual bunch of hysterical 'sky is falling' nervous types who'd do exactly as these IS fucks would like to see - playing straight into their hands.

In the name of terrorism.

R.I.P.

That minuscule minority would love nothing more than to see a cack-handed response carried out against the wider Muslim population that would begin to drive a wedge between 'us' and 'them' and alienate young Muslim men.

Of course we have our usual bunch of hysterical 'sky is falling' nervous types who'd do exactly as these IS fucks would like to see - playing straight into their hands.

It's not just a minuscule minority though. Amazing amount of people out there who can't see what ISIS are trying to do and are only to happy to play into their hands.

It's not just a minuscule minority though. Amazing amount of people out there who can't see what ISIS are trying to do and are only to happy to play into their hands.

It is, though. Do you know about maths? There are millions of Muslims in Europe, if even a quarter of them were nutters there would be war on the streets of every city daily. Personally I don't have time for people stirring up hatred, whether terrorists or the wordsmith terrorists on the 'other side'. Imagine fearing for your safety in your local town because of your colour, it's a disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

In the name of terrorism.

R.I.P.

Read the Koran, you will find these people are only following Islam as it is written, to kill the infidel, i.e. the likes of you and me.

• Advertisement

It's not just a minuscule minority though.

I'm referring to the EU where it is a minuscule minority. If you're referring to ISIS in Iraq, well, that's a different discussion, where a majority of people all over the world wanted no part of in 2003 but were ignored.

Read the Koran, you will find these people are only following Islam as it is written, to kill the infidel, i.e. the likes of you and me.

Assuming the poster isn't a Muslim eh? :p

I bet you kind of regret getting rid of Ghadaffi now since he was the one responsible for blocking their route to Europe.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

I'm referring to the EU where it is a minuscule minority.

Dunno about the miniscule part of your sentence.
    The Islamic State group has substantially less support in Arab nations than it does in European countries, including Britain, according to a new report into attitudes towards the brutal jihadist group.

The Syria and Iraq-based group, also known as ISIS or ISIL, enjoys practically no popularity in Egypt, Lebanon, or Saudi Arabia, according to research by the Washington Institute. Saudi Arabia is one of five Arab nations which joined the US in airstrikes on Islamic State (IS) targets in Syria.

Just 3% of Egyptian expressed a positive opinion of the IS, only 5% of Saudis, and under 1% of Lebanese respondents showed any support for the group. It does not mean, the researchers point out, that there is absolutely no support for IS in those countries as the small percentages add up to around 1.5 million people in Egypt, 500,000 in Saudi Arabia, and a few thousand in Lebanon.

But the report is in stark contrast with an August poll on the same topic for ICM, which found that 7% of citizens responded favourably to IS in Britain. To put that result in context, just 5% of the British population are Muslim, meaning a vast number of those surveyed feeling either "very" or "somewhat" favourably towards IS were not Muslim.

In France, the figure was dramatically higher, with 16% of French citizens saying they have a positive opinion of IS, spiking at 27% for those who are aged 18-24. In Germany, it was far lower, with around 3% expressing a positive view.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/16/islamic-state-arab-nations-britain-support_n_5995548.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I bet you kind of regret getting rid of Ghadaffi now since he was the one responsible for blocking their route to Europe.

:pac:

Well at least Gaddaffi, mad and all as he was, was able to provide some semblance of a normally functioning state that provided the basic infrastructure and services people needed. No room for democracy, true, but if someone was prepared to tow the official line and not rock the boat shouting their mout off they'd probably enjoy a reasonable enough lifestyle.

Now it is just pure and utter bedlam with little central control of anything.

• Advertisement

a vast number of those surveyed [in Britain] feeling either "very" or "somewhat" favourably towards IS were not Muslim.

Explain that one if you can.

Explain that one if you can.

Native nutters gonna nut and the number of muslims resident in EU countries being underreported. For example, the ONS admitted that they missed young people aged 10 to 19 from abroad and women aged 25 to 44 during the last census.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jul/16/census-2012-population-dodgy-data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

From the looks of it, trying to get rid off saddam hussein gadaffi and assad is a major mistake. Even though they were brutal dictators at least they kept a lid on sectarian tensions and were quite secular. Pandoras box has being opened and its going to be very hard to shut it now.

Native nutters gonna nut

Great explanation.

EU Justice Commissioner Věra Jourová said Europeans who have gone to join jihadist Isis fighters in Syria may number more than 6000.

http://www.thelocal.es/20150413/more-than-6000-have-left-europe-for-isis-jihad-eu

Some craic when these lads start to come home. 30-40 are Irish based.

Great explanation.

Thanks. Nutters like the white lad who tried to hack off a Sikh chaps head in retaliation for the Lee Rigby murder. He was a fan of the ISIS. I note that you ignore the rest of my post. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You're far more likely to be knocked down by a bus than blown up by the jihadist travelling on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Elizabeth O'Brien and the way she might talk at ya! :)

Well since you're more likely to be killed by a meteorite than in a terrorist attack, I'd say don't worry about London but get yourself and the wife and kids into some underground bunker and stay there for the rest of your life.

We may have our diefferences egg but on this I totally agree with you. Never let them change you or your freedoms. That's why they are called terrorists.

Once you feel the terror and change your life --- they win. They don't have to kill you -- just make you afraid.

http://www.thelocal.es/20150413/more-than-6000-have-left-europe-for-isis-jihad-eu

Some craic when these lads start to come home. 30-40 are Irish based.

Simple answer to this is: Don't let them back.. F*ck 'em. If they can't respect the values of where they either were born or found refuge... let them stay in Sandy land and blow each other up...

That said, my preference would be for each to be met, de-briefed and un-brainwashed. Then put on the circuit to show the foolish barbarity of what they have done.

Alas, no goverment here will spend that sort of money or, perhaps, have that sort of long term view - with the very real possible exception of the Swedes.....long term/outside the box thinkers they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement