Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in North Dublin

Options
  • 26-06-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all,

Basically I am looking at the possibility of moving to Dublin for work most likely in city centre, Stephens Green area. I am looking to rent a 1 or 2 bed property but obviously cost of renting is absurd at the moment. I was considering renting somewhere in the north county area and commuting in, somewhere along the DART line perhaps, but even at that prices seem to be mad, over €1000-€1200 generally. What areas should I look at that are relatively easy for commuting daily but are nice for the price paid. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

Balbriggan averages are about €900 for a 2 bed apartment. It's a easy enough commute via train daily to Pearse Station, and then you can walk to Stephens Green area.

I do it every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

rental prices are stupidly high, you would be better off renting a room in a house, even then its 600 or 700 blips!you just have to trawl through daft to find some ok prices.....but the standard is piss poor so dont expect anything nice for sub 1000! I wonder what all the students are gonna do come september!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭EnergyPro

Thanks for the quick replies.
    Renting a room won't be an option tbh, it would be me and my partner and we would want our own place. I hadnt really considered as far north as ballbriggan but i probably should. I presume there are regular trains? What is cost of weekly/ monthly ticket for train? Have never been to Balbriggan is there much to it?

EnergyPro wrote: »
    Renting a room won't be an option tbh, it would be me and my partner and we would want our own place. I hadnt really considered as far north as ballbriggan but i probably should. I presume there are regular trains? What is cost of weekly/ monthly ticket for train? Have never been to Balbriggan is there much to it?

In the morning trains are near enough every 10/15 minutes to the city, same coming home at 5pm/6pm.

Monthly cost is roughly €142.00 for the train. If you get a job and your employer can get you a tax saver ticket, its considerably cheaper. (Mine works out at about €80-90 pm.

There's many local organizations and pubs etc in Balbriggan. More about Balbriggan can be found at www.balbriggan.info.

DJMG92 wrote:
    In the morning trains are near enough every 10/15 minutes to the city, same coming home at 5pm/6pm.

DJMG92 wrote:
    Monthly cost is roughly €142.00 for the train. If you get a job and your employer can get you a tax saver ticket, its considerably cheaper. (Mine works out at about €80-90 pm.

DJMG92 wrote:
    There's many local organizations and pubs etc in Balbriggan. More about Balbriggan can be found at

That seems pretty decent I have to say. Although accommodation isn't very plentiful in Balbriggan either going by daft! Its certainly one to keep an eye on though, thanks for the info.

Has anybody got any advice for other areas with reasonable commute and value for money re rented properties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Few places in donabate on daft for less than 900. Only problem is the trains could be full so you'd be standing. Maybe others who live in donabate could tell you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TimANDco.

I live in balbriggan right near the station and pay 800 for 2.5 bedroom 2 bath(the .5 is like an office/half room) its about 45 min to pearse station and as stated before the times in the morning and between 5-6.30 are every 15 min. Trains usually never crowded at this stop either since its the first stop in dublin co. After skerries the train will really full up though as loads of people get on at skerries and the rush&lusk stop.

daft is a good place to start but i'd get a hold of the people at the REA(Real Estate Alliance) there are offices in most towns the one here in Balbriggan is REA Cumisky i believe, i found my apt through them. It wasn't even on the market when they told me about it, so there is usually always stuff out there. Good luck and hopefully it works out for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 luckyglen88

I am Currently in Clongriffin 1100pm really handy for geting to pearse only 20mins dart runs every 15 mins in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Raised Eyebrow

EnergyPro wrote: »

I think you would find Balbriggan too far North. Swords would be as far North as I would consider an easy commute plus if you wanted to stay in town after work etc off peak trains aren't so good and Balbriggan would be cost prohibitive for a taxi journey

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

You will find it very hard to get a decent place for less than €1000. Balbriggan you will get a place once you dont mind the travel. With balbriggan you have the train and bus eireann and the odd 33 bus. Swords good few buses but nothing under €1000. If you moved to somewhere with very poor transport you could find a place under a €1000 and then get yourself a car and drive to a train station or bus.

If your determined to get somewhere under a grand close enough to the city you could try cabra, dublin 1, drumcondra, east wall. These will be close to the city but accomadation would be poorer but you might get a decent place if your lucky.

Some people dont mind the commute from balbriggan so you could go to balbriggan and do the commute a few times and stay in a hotel or B&B and see what you make of it. To get the right place tho you will need to be searching all the sites daft, property, myhome, rent etc.... a few times a day and also ringing estate agents they have properties that are not always listed on the big sites. You could also join the buy and sell pages in dublin on facebook and post up to see if anyone knows any places to rent under a €1000

best of luck house hunting the prices in Dublin are just gone stupid its so hard for people to get a decent place.

• Advertisement

I think you would find Balbriggan too far North. Swords would be as far North as I would consider an easy commute plus if you wanted to stay in town after work etc off peak trains aren't so good and Balbriggan would be cost prohibitive for a taxi journey

There's plenty of night links for after work events on the weekend to Balbriggan, the commute on the train is near enough the same length of time as a bus from Swords to the City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TimANDco.

when traveling from balbriggan the train is about 40 min in, the 33 bus can take about 2 hours(last choice there) and the 101 bus takes about 55 min, its really not so bad when you think about it. Loads of nice apts above the supervalue on the main street for under 1000 and only 5 min walk to train station.

TimANDco. wrote:
    when traveling from balbriggan the train is about 40 min in, the 33 bus can take about 2 hours(last choice there) and the 101 bus takes about 55 min, its really not so bad when you think about it. Loads of nice apts above the supervalue on the main street for under 1000 and only 5 min walk to train station.

Thanks for all of your replies. In relation to the commute from Balbriggan, are the trains reliable and on time? I don't think I would like to live somewhere that I would havebto rely on busses as they are just a nightmare and so unreliable. I have a car and could obviously drive in everyday but I would prefer a reliable public transport option if one exists. Balbriggan does look like a good option. Some decent apartments for 900/950. Still a lot of dosh but better than 1200 for a studio apt in city centre!

The trains are indeed quite reliable. I'd say once or twice a month they run a couple of mins late, but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

in the mornings to city centre the trains usually run on time, i get the 8.15am from balbriggan and get off at tara st at 9.03 ish

Re getting home after a night out, last train from Connolly is 11.30pm, then there are the nitelinks and also BuS Eireann have a nite service too

Advertisement