Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese at DCU

• 26-06-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm going into 6th year in September and I'm hoping to do Japanese in college afterwards. I want to be a translator eventually, if I get into DCU do I have to take the translations studies degree and do two languages? Or do I have any other options for becoming a translator? For example, would a joint honours degree with Japanese and a translation studies module be enough? any help or advice would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

racheldna wrote: »
    I'm going into 6th year in September and I'm hoping to do Japanese in college afterwards. I want to be a translator eventually, if I get into DCU do I have to take the translations studies degree and do two languages? Or do I have any other options for becoming a translator? For example, would a joint honours degree with Japanese and a translation studies module be enough? any help or advice would be much appreciated! :)

I'm just finished the Applied Languages & Translation Studies course so I'll do my best to provide you with some info.

First off, you don't need any sort of a translation degree to become a translator. Most translation agencies will require you to pass their own exam before they take you on their books for freelance work. For getting an in-house translation job a degree might push you up the pile a bit but with translation experience is everything. You could sit at home and teach yourself Japanese and have as much a chance as becoming a translator as someone who studied it in uni as part of a translation degree. For getting an in-house job in Japan, employers will care more about your JLPT level, your experience and whether you can communicate well enough in an interview than a translation degree (although as I say, if two candidates have the exact same level and experience it could push you up a bit).

But all of that said, there is a real skill to translation and DCU is a fantastic place to learn it. There are many people who are excellent at a language but are crap translators - because they haven't learnt HOW to translate. There's so much more to it than knowing your 2nd lang (but obviously that's really important too!).

SO to answer your question you could do either course and become a translator. BUT if translation is really your goal right now then you should aim for the Applied Languages and Translation Studies course. That will give you the chance to have modules in Translation Theory, Localization, Translation Tools etc. etc. - all fantastic practical skills to have already learned when you start to work as a translator. The Japanese department is absolutely fab in DCU, I'm actually so sad to be leaving!

Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer :)

EDIT: I also wanted to add that translation is a tough road to go down and prepare to work hard from day one on your language. How good your Japanese is won't be determined by your degree - that is, just because you've completed 4 years of study in univeristy doesn't necessarily mean your Japanese is good enough to become a translator! But if you work hard right off the bat, you will definitely be in a very favorable position by the time you graduate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 racheldna

Konata wrote: »
    I'm just finished the Applied Languages & Translation Studies course so I'll do my best to provide you with some info.

First off, you don't need any sort of a translation degree to become a translator. Most translation agencies will require you to pass their own exam before they take you on their books for freelance work. For getting an in-house translation job a degree might push you up the pile a bit but with translation experience is everything. You could sit at home and teach yourself Japanese and have as much a chance as becoming a translator as someone who studied it in uni as part of a translation degree. For getting an in-house job in Japan, employers will care more about your JLPT level, your experience and whether you can communicate well enough in an interview than a translation degree (although as I say, if two candidates have the exact same level and experience it could push you up a bit).

But all of that said, there is a real skill to translation and DCU is a fantastic place to learn it. There are many people who are excellent at a language but are crap translators - because they haven't learnt HOW to translate. There's so much more to it than knowing your 2nd lang (but obviously that's really important too!).

SO to answer your question you could do either course and become a translator. BUT if translation is really your goal right now then you should aim for the Applied Languages and Translation Studies course. That will give you the chance to have modules in Translation Theory, Localization, Translation Tools etc. etc. - all fantastic practical skills to have already learned when you start to work as a translator. The Japanese department is absolutely fab in DCU, I'm actually so sad to be leaving!

Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer :)

EDIT: I also wanted to add that translation is a tough road to go down and prepare to work hard from day one on your language. How good your Japanese is won't be determined by your degree - that is, just because you've completed 4 years of study in univeristy doesn't necessarily mean your Japanese is good enough to become a translator! But if you work hard right off the bat, you will definitely be in a very favorable position by the time you graduate :)

Thank you so much for all your information ! That was very helpful, thank you ! I'd love to do the applied language and translation studies course, I really hope I can get into DCU next year. Just one more question, on the DCU site it says 'You will take either two intermediate languages, or one intermediate and one beginner's level language.' Is it necessary to take two languages? I'm really only interested in Japanese, can I take it alone?
    Anyway, thank you so much ! And congrats on finishing your course, best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

racheldna wrote: »
    Thank you so much for all your information ! That was very helpful, thank you ! I'd love to do the applied language and translation studies course, I really hope I can get into DCU next year. Just one more question, on the DCU site it says 'You will take either two intermediate languages, or one intermediate and one beginner's level language.' Is it necessary to take two languages? I'm really only interested in Japanese, can I take it alone?
    Anyway, thank you so much ! And congrats on finishing your course, best of luck :)

Yes, you have to take two languages. I dropped French after 2nd year but unfortunately they've changed the rules since then and I believe you have to carry both languages to completion.

If you only want to do Japanese then the Arts course might be more suitable but it would have the disadvantage of not having the translation modules. Something for you to think about over the next year anyway but you've loads of time to mull it over :)

Advertisement