Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMTP settings

Options
  • 26-06-2015 12:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, 

Long story short ish. A friend currently has an eircom.net email address. This is fine at home where her ISP is Eircom, but because of the server settings and using Outlook, it hits a wall when she takes her computer to France. She’s in her 60s and not very techie and does not how to reconfigure her system. 

I’ve set up a Gmail based on advice from others. This appears to successfully pull in her @eircom.net emails, but the outgoing replies show up as user@gmail.com which I don’t want as she will just get confused.

Can you clarify the SMTP settings? I’ve tried various combinations without success - smtp.eircom.net, mail1.eircom.net, mail2.eircom.net

Any help would be useful.

Send mail through your SMTP server
    Configure your mail to be sent through eircom.net SMTP servers Learn more
    SMTP Server:  Port: 
    Username:
    Password:
    Secured connection using TLS (recommended)
    Secured connection using SSL

Your other email provider is responding too slowly. Please try again later, or contact the administrator of your other domain for further information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi, 

Long story short ish. A friend currently has an eircom.net email address. This is fine at home where her ISP is Eircom, but because of the server settings and using Outlook, it hits a wall when she takes her computer to France. She’s in her 60s and not very techie and does not how to reconfigure her system. 

I’ve set up a Gmail based on advice from others. This appears to successfully pull in her @eircom.net emails, but the outgoing replies show up as user@gmail.com which I don’t want as she will just get confused.

Can you clarify the SMTP settings? I’ve tried various combinations without success - smtp.eircom.net, mail1.eircom.net, mail2.eircom.net

Any help would be useful.

Send mail through your SMTP server
    Configure your mail to be sent through eircom.net SMTP servers Learn more
    SMTP Server:  Port: 
    Username:
    Password:
    Secured connection using TLS (recommended)
    Secured connection using SSL

Your other email provider is responding too slowly. Please try again later, or contact the administrator of your other domain for further information.
    Hi The Black Oil

The SMTP is based on what the provider your firend is currently connected to advises - for example other providers than eircom in Ireland have different SMPT settings for eircom mail - for example if you use eircom email on a UPC connection the it's smtp.upcmail.ie - Basically your firend will need to find the advised SMTP settings of the provider she is using in France.

I see Orange is quite poplular in France so check this page out for their advised server settings in France (second graph is more relevant)

http://assistance.orange.fr/configuration-des-serveurs-sortants-et-entrants-des-principaux-comptes-mails-1222.php

Hope this helps

Al

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for your post. I understand that about using Eircom on a UPC connection, but this is really an attempt to get around having to go back and forth in tinkering with the SMTP settings based on geography, or server. 

In Outlook 2013, her account is set as the following

hername@eircom.net 

account type IMAP

Incoming imap.gmail.com
    Outgoing smtp.gmail.com

That does work in terms of pulling in Eircom mail via a Gmail account and in theory should work in France regardless of the server, however I'm still stuck on the snag of outgoing replies coming up as @Gmail because of the SMTP issue...

Thanks for your post. I understand that about using Eircom on a UPC connection, but this is really an attempt to get around having to go back and forth in tinkering with the SMTP settings based on geography, or server. 

In Outlook 2013, her account is set as the following

hername@eircom.net 

account type IMAP

Incoming imap.gmail.com
    Outgoing smtp.gmail.com

That does work in terms of pulling in Eircom mail via a Gmail account and in theory should work in France regardless of the server, however I'm still stuck on the snag of outgoing replies coming up as @Gmail because of the SMTP issue...
    I'm afraid there's no way around this (the outgoing @gmail issue) which I could recommend other than using our Webmail service: https://secure.eircom.net/email/ - I'm sorry I can't offer you better news

Al

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks Alan, found the solution, hopefully. Seems to be this within Gmail...

user@eircom.net
    Mail is sent through: imap.gmail.com
    Secured connection on port 587 using TLS

Thanks Alan, found the solution, hopefully. Seems to be this...

[font=arial, sans-serif]user@eircom.net[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Mail is sent through: imap.gmail.com[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Secured connection on port 587 using TLS[/font]
    Thanks The Black Oil

Appreciate you sharing this - I'll take note for future reference.

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Alan

SSL issue with all access both mobile and outlook for webmail.... on outlook it WILL allow me to proceed by agreeing to proceed by clicking on the "proceed to untrusted SSL certificate" on mobile outlook it will not all me to proceed (apple iOS)

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

NSAman wrote: »
    Alan

SSL issue with all access both mobile and outlook for webmail.... on outlook it WILL allow me to proceed by agreeing to proceed by clicking on the "proceed to untrusted SSL certificate" on mobile outlook it will not all me to proceed (apple iOS)

Any suggestions?
    Hi NSAman,

Thanks for getting in touch. Are you currently an eir customer for broadband/landline?

- Adam

Advertisement