Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent complaints!

Options
  • 26-06-2015 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We were actively house hunting and found a house we liked.
    We told the estate agent that we hadn't sold our house yet, so were relying on the proceeds of our house sale.

But they were okay accepting our bids for the house.

Initial asking price was : €275k
    We put the first bid of €270k in.
    3 days later, someone bid €275k, so we raised to €277k.
    A week later, the bid was €280k, and we went to €282k.
    10 days later, someone bid €285, and we bid €287k.

So we had a bidding war and were fully informed at all steps of the other bidders.

A month passed, and no communication.
    Then the daft Advert changed to "sale agreed" and the estate agent refused to return my calls twice.

Granted, we still haven't sold our house yet... but have they broken any regulations regarding informing other bidders ?

It is absolute ignorance and contempt for people bidding on the properties they are advertising... is it anything more?

I've downloaded the "property services regulatory authority" complaint sheet... but sounds like I'm wasting my time.

regards,
    CD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Tow

Posting a letter to the house owner outlining the above, is what I would do. The owner may not have wanted to be in a chain, or the estate agent may have pulled a fast one on them and sold to a mate at the right price.
    I have seen both happening.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I cant see how there is reason for a complaint here. You were in a very weak position, and the vendor chose a bidder not in chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

MouseTail wrote: »
    I cant see how there is reason for a complaint here. You were in a very weak position, and the vendor chose a bidder not in chain.

My complaint is that the estate agent never gave me a simple phone call to say I was outbid, or that they were going with another bidder.
    I was under the assumption I was the highest bidder for a month.

I only found out when the Daft advert changed.
    Now the estate agent hasn't returned my call twice which is bizarre since I'm obviously still house hunting.

Thought there might be some regulation, other than simple curtosy and human decency to "inform the highest/active bidders of the bidding process/status".

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Same thing happened to me once - I reckoned that the vendor was using the sale process to establish what the market price of the house was and, once established (no more bids) then went and sold it at that price to their brother/mate/milkman etc.

People always blame estate agents but they are more often than not just as much in the dark as the bidders. 9 times out of 10 its not the EA being an b#st#rd its person selling. Much easier to be evil when theres an EA in the middle - its what they're paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

This happened to us a few years back, putting in bids never hearing back from EA, Passing by the house one day SALE AGREED sign was up, My OH stopped the car and went to have a chat to the owner, the sale agreed had been up about 3 weeks or so, the owners didn't even know about our bids they got less for the house than the highest bid we had put in. Don't really think they is anything you can do about it, I some times feel from reading boards that the house price wars are starting again. Good luck with your house hunting

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Someone bought a house that you liked but didn't have the money for. Maybe the other bidder offered the money immediately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Someone bought a house that you liked but didn't have the money for. Maybe the other bidder offered the money immediately?

Yep, I'm quite sure that happened.

But the estate agent just had to tell one of their minions to ring me up and say they weren't going with my bid. One phone call would've avoided this.
    And they haven't returned two of my polite enquiry calls either.

Anyway, I'll drop the seller a note telling them what our highest bid was and leave it at that.
    If the seller was not informed of my bids, then the estate agent broke regulations and breached their contract with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Years ago, a friend of mine, a first time buyer put an offer in on a house. She had to raise her offer several times. The house went sale agreed to the other party. She was prepared to go higher but wasn'n told that she had been outbid.

It turned put that the other purchaser had a house to sell. Guess what estate agent they were using?

Advertisement