Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flakiness on forehead

Options
  • 25-06-2015 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread but thought I'd get the best response here. For the last month, no matter what foundation I use (DW, Kat Von D, Studio Fix, Colourstay) I have visible flakeyness on my forehead and when I apply powder (DW powder, MAC Skinfinish) it is even more noticeable. It looks really flakey and makes my forehead look a bit odd. I've tried different methods of applying it as well. Beauty blender, stippling brush, flat head foundation brush but all leave the same outcome.

I've no idea what could be causing this. In an effort to combat it I've been using the No.7 Microdermabrasia scrub every few days, making sure my makeup is completely off (Using the No.7 Hot cloth cleanser either followed by Lancôme Gel Éclat or Lancôme Galatéis Douceur) and have been moisturizing with a La-Roche Posay Moisturizer which name escapes me.

Without makeup my skin looks fine. You can't see any dry patches etc but with any foundation it's looking terrible :(

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Taboola wrote: »
    Any suggestions on what I should do?

Were you exfoliating before the flaky skin appeared? How often were you exfoliating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Umekichi wrote: »
    Were you exfoliating before the flaky skin appeared? How often were you exfoliating?

Once every 2 weeks. Started increasing it when I noticed the flaky skin but it didn't make it any better or worse.

I'm also doing at least 2 days a week with no makeup at all to give my skin a break.

Once every 2 weeks. Started increasing it when I noticed the flaky skin but it didn't make it any better or worse.

I'm also doing at least 2 days a week with no makeup at all to give my skin a break.

Has there been any other changes with your skin? Drier/oilier than usual?

Has there been any other changes with your skin? Drier/oilier than usual?

Absolutely nothing and no change in diet either. I drink 2-3 litres of water a day as well. That's what has me so confused.

Can anyone recommend a good hydrating moisturizer? Maybe that's the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I actually stop using all product when this happens to me, if I have to moisturise I use a none scented one, like the cheap range in boots (the one in the blue tub) and then try not to do anything else

• Advertisement

Absolutely nothing and no change in diet either. I drink 2-3 litres of water a day as well. That's what has me so confused.

Can anyone recommend a good hydrating moisturizer? Maybe that's the issue.

I'm guessing your forehead might be a bit dehydrated, Reduce the physical exfoliants and maybe look into introducing a chemical exfoliant(AHA/BHA)? Also look for a moisturiser that has hyaluronic acid(that stuff is amazing).

Have heard great things about L’Occitane Pivoine Sublime Perfecting Cream.

I'm guessing your forehead might be a bit dehydrated, Reduce the physical exfoliants and maybe look into introducing a chemical exfoliant(AHA/BHA)? Also look for a moisturiser that has hyaluronic acid(that stuff is amazing).

Have heard great things about L’Occitane Pivoine Sublime Perfecting Cream.

Thanks. Will have a look at that one.

It's so frustrating.

It's so frustrating.
    I know the feeling. Hopefully this cream will do the trick!

Does Brown Thomas stock it?

Does Brown Thomas stock it?

No, where are you located?

• Advertisement

No, where are you located?

Dublin city.

Dublin city.

They've a store on wicklow st. There are also stores in liffey valley SC and the Blackrock SC. They also have a website to buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've moved a bunch of posts from the Cosmetics Purchases thread to their own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Try MooGoo Irritable Skin Balm - you will need to look up their Irish site, as it's not stocked everywhere. It's good stuff though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

The foundations you mentioned all sound very drying and heavy duty. I'd get problem skin too if I wore colour stay every day, id suggest you also consider something more light weight. There's only so much a cream can do if your not addressing the cause of the dryness - everyone's skin is different though.

I'm really liking bourjois cc cream, light weight medium coverage and never drys my skin

The foundations you mentioned all sound very drying and heavy duty. I'd get problem skin too if I wore colour stay every day, id suggest you also consider something more light weight. There's only so much a cream can do if your not addressing the cause of the dryness - everyone's skin is different though.

I'm really liking bourjois cc cream, light weight medium coverage and never drys my skin

Tried using the Bourjois healthy mix. Same problem.

It doesn't matter if its a full or light coverage foundation :( and as I said I don't have any dry patches on my skin and I rarely get spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Have you tried using a primer before your foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I get the same flakiness around my nose sometimes and nothing gets rid of it except for this cream.

http://www.sammccauley.com/Product/elave-intensive-cream-pump-500ml/17637/2224.1.2

You can get it in tubes its less than €10 anyway and there are different sizes.

Its amazing for getting rid of flakiness, it does take about a week to fully get rid of it but it works.

Its a very greasy looking/feeling cream so definitely not for under make up. I put it on before bed usually and slather it on and for days I'm not wearing make up, I will use it, I don't use anything else when I use this, no cleanser, toner etc nothing. I just wash my face and then once its squeaky clean I apply the cream and let it soak in and after a number of days any flakiness I had is gone.

The cream had a faint medicated scent but its not strong or over powering and generally wears off after an hour or so.

anna080 wrote: »
    Have you tried using a primer before your foundation?

Yeh usually use a makeup forever one. Tried with and without it.

I went to L'occataine today and they recommended Creme precieuse immortelle after looking at my skin (went in with makeup on to show what it was like). There was another cream that she recommended but it was 88e eek.

@stripedboxers I had got the L'occataine cream before seeing your post but i will pick that up one as well as I think all you're suggestions on this forum are spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Yeh usually use a makeup forever one. Tried with and without it.

I went to L'occataine today and they recommended Creme precieuse immortelle after looking at my skin (went in with makeup on to show what it was like). There was another cream that she recommended but it was 88e eek.

@stripedboxers I had got the L'occataine cream before seeing your post but i will pick that up one as well as I think all you're suggestions on this forum are spot on.
    The Elave one can be used all over the body its a great one because its works quickly and you only need a small amount because it is quite thick. It does take a while to sink in but its worth it given how well it works :)

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

• Advertisement

Just another thought - what shampoo and conditioner are you using? I have really flaky skin on my face and ears and it completely disappeared when I switched from regular brands (e.g. Herbal Essences, Pantene, etc) to sulfate-free products ... I'm using MooGoo at the moment, as far as I know Elave and a brand called (I think) Forever Aloe are also sulfate-free. MooGoo is seriously feckin expensive (approx 15e each for the shampoo and conditioner) but it's worth it for me not to be crying at the mirror when trying to put on my make-up! It does last a lot longer than regular products - it's in huge bottles, and you use less of it than ordinary stuff. Lush products are good too. For me I noticed the difference immediately when switching from regular hair products, so it's worth a shot! (Added bonus of nicer hair, too!)

Just another thought - what shampoo and conditioner are you using? I have really flaky skin on my face and ears and it completely disappeared when I switched from regular brands (e.g. Herbal Essences, Pantene, etc) to sulfate-free products ... I'm using MooGoo at the moment, as far as I know Elave and a brand called (I think) Forever Aloe are also sulfate-free. MooGoo is seriously feckin expensive (approx 15e each for the shampoo and conditioner) but it's worth it for me not to be crying at the mirror when trying to put on my make-up! It does last a lot longer than regular products - it's in huge bottles, and you use less of it than ordinary stuff. Lush products are good too. For me I noticed the difference immediately when switching from regular hair products, so it's worth a shot! (Added bonus of nicer hair, too!)

I used Redken (green one) shampoo and conditioner. I had problems with my over dying my hair in the past so I'm very conscious of always using good shampoos.

I used Redken (green one) shampoo and conditioner. I had problems with my over dying my hair in the past so I'm very conscious of always using good shampoos.

That's the one they use in Peter Mark isn't it? While I'm sure it's good, and I'm sure it's expensive too, it mightn't be sulfate-free. Which is the important thing. Next time you're buying it may be worth trying one of the brands I mentioned. Or, try PMing Moogoo Ireland on Facebook - I did and they sent me some free samples. :) (I swear I don't work for them, and am in no way associated with them!) Or if you're anywhere near D15, I could recommend a hairdresser who uses the Forever Aloe products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

I get fairly bad eczema on my eyes and forehead and the only thing that works for me is plain old vaseline! You should see a difference in 2 days.

ceecee14 wrote: »
    I get fairly bad eczema on my eyes and forehead and the only thing that works for me is plain old vaseline! You should see a difference in 2 days.

Good to know. Will give that a go as well. Thank you so much.
    That's the one they use in Peter Mark isn't it? While I'm sure it's good, and I'm sure it's expensive too, it mightn't be sulfate-free. Which is the important thing. Next time you're buying it may be worth trying one of the brands I mentioned. Or, try PMing Moogoo Ireland on Facebook - I did and they sent me some free samples. :) (I swear I don't work for them, and am in no way associated with them!) Or if you're anywhere near D15, I could recommend a hairdresser who uses the Forever Aloe products.

Forever Aloe? You're having a laugh are you? I won't support a pyramid scheme.

Redken have a sulphate free one. Never been unhappy with a Redken shampoo so i'll try that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

As the poster above me has said the best and cheapest thing to do in the case is to use Vaseline. You just follow your normal routine as normal and after your last step/stage once you have applied your moisture you want to spread a small thin layer of Vaseline over the areas affected. The vaseline locks in moisture and doesn't allow it to escape. It's also perfect for this as the molecules in Vaseline are too small to block pores and so there is no chance it will break you out like adding a new product to your routine may do.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Elizabth Arden 8 hour creme, my go to for a variety for skin issues!

Advertisement