Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Gaming Forum [2015 Review & Update]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I guess the fact that the charter was updated based on feedback here shortly after the rule was put in place doesn't count, then. Changes can continue to happen - but thus far, nothing has happened here except a circular debate that is going all kinds of nowhere. Reasons for have been put on the table - reasons against thus far have simply been 'miss it because it's gone'. A large chunk of people expressing their opinion here have said it themselves - the term was rarely if ever used, whether or not they agreed with the rest. It contributed nothing and won't be missed, in place of a greater positive purpose that will be noticed (here and elsewhere).

If you honestly believe what you're saying and/or have a problem with me or the Moderators, consider contacting the Games CMods as the need for a review didn't come from PCG's own handlers, so it's not like consultation was an option - we simply took part in the talks and expressed our concerns. Constructive concerns both ways can and will continue to filter and changes made.

Paint me as black as you please - but it'll be a negative waste of everyone's time and energy aimed at the wrong person.

Where was the feedback thread that the PCG community asked for the term to be banned? my point is not so much about the ban on it but the negative connotation put forward by some of the mods on this.

So what happened the Cmods forced this upon you guys or forced you into a discussion on it? i assume all gaming mods took part as some of the comments on thread here i find alarming and some folk may have lost perspective on the places they actually mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Reasons for have been put on the table - reasons against thus far have simply been 'miss it because it's gone'.
    I think most people are against the change because they would see it as censorship?

I'm a noob to this forum and to pc gaming, some people might be upset at being referred to as a noob so should that be banned aswell because it may appear to one or 2 people on the outside world as offensive? When banning the use of certain words where does it start and stop? Someone's always going to be offended by something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

cadete wrote: »
    I think most people are against the change because they would see it as censorship?

I'm a noob to this forum and to pc gaming, some people might be upset at being referred to as a noob so should that be banned aswell because it may appear to one or 2 people on the outside world as offensive? When banning the use of certain words where does it start and stop? Someone's always going to be offended by something

Exactly the point I was getting at in my posts on previous pages. Master Race - censored. Fanboy - censored. Noob should also be censored. Where does it end?

Somebody got bored here. Somebody got up on the wrong side of bed with a little too much power and needed to exercise that power.

Why wasn't a thread created asking if people are offended by the term?

Why wasn't a vote conducted so the community could decide if the words should be censored?

Why are you asking for feedback and suggestions but you meet all such content with answers reinforcing a decision already made?

The Master Race idea is a joke. One big fat joke. If anybody takes it serious, then ban them, not the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Honestly this is just ridiculous. People who find terms like PCMR or fanboy offensive really need to take a long look at themselves. It really should be a case of if you're going to be offended by something on Boards just log off.

I get the mods just want to try and keep everyone happy but a minority of easily offended idiots shouldn't be allowed dictate the course the forums take. If people start dick waving about which platform is best on a thread where it's not the subject warn them and ban them if they dont comply. But if the offending terms are just used in jest (like PCMR being used in the PCgaming forum which is there for PC gamers) whats the harm?

The mods really need to just start telling people who whinge to get over themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I can see the value of applying the ban to G(G) in an effort to keep that particular forum for games in the general sense and try to take whatever platform out of any discussions,but id have to agree with the sentiment expressed by most posters. While i never usually use the term myself i cant really see how it could be deemed offensive in the PCG forum or a barrier to people wanting to join in the discussion on PCG,as the mods have admitted already it doesnt really seem to be over used in PCG anyway. I would however see the wisdom in trying to keep it away from other forums.

On the flip side,i do want to acknowledge that the mods and the powers that be have allowed the PCG forum to grow past its original scope,which to be honest i thought was woefully narrow in its original state. And thats not even mentioning the original Steam/Valve incarnation that just didnt really work. So i think most people,including myself,would/do appreciate that.

Because of that allowance i think PCG has grown into what it is now,and i would love to see it grow further. Its not perfect but i think pretty much most regular contributors would say that there isnt many issues here,IMO anyway,and this seems like a solution that is being applied across the gaming forums in general rather than taking a look at each forum specifically and applying a a more specific set of charter updates to each.

Seen as its the 2 cents thread....i thought id leave mineicon12.png

EoinHef wrote: »
    Because of that allowance i think PCG has grown into what it is now,and i would love to see it grow further. Its not perfect but i think pretty much most regular contributors would say that there isnt many issues here,IMO anyway,and this seems like a solution that is being applied across the gaming forums in general rather than taking a look at each forum specifically and applying a a more specific set of charter updates to each.

Definitely agree with the sentiment its great how the forum has evolved, i think we can all agree with that. I do want to add this as contrary to this post i do love this forum its one of the only 6-7 i follow.

As for the change its a minor inconvenience but the intent behind the mod team who claim they have nothing to do with it but yet its a change that was implemented across the all sub forums meaning all had input into it. Judge our forum on the merits of who post in it and not by the likes of reddit or a super sensitive idealized view of how gaming and the industry should be run.

Having said that, in relation to Calhoun's point, yes, Mods had input and no, it's not a sole evil overlord making all the shots - but it was regarded as a decent step by the majority. Is it perfect? Clearly not - but it can be tweaked and improved from here. Best intentions for PCG, G(G), Console forums - and everywhere - is in mind, so they can continue to grow on their own.

Thanks for answering honestly, i don't think its a sole evil overlord. I feel that there are one or two of the gaming mods who have seen some of the gamer gate stuff and are overly sensitive to offending anyone on the internet forum and when i know one of the contributing voices to the rules that have been implemented is someone who views our community based on what he sees on reddit it really alarms me.

It not just something i am concerned about for this forum but its the gaming forum in general but i am more linked to this forum than i am the other.

Anyway we have gone around in circles on this, i think i have made my point and i do hope its captured in the spirit i meant it which is as much to protect the community as you guys want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

With or without it, nothing is stopping PCG from continuing how it has continued - and it has avoided (far more drastic) changes expecting it to go back to the contained and barely usable format of before - something I've been adamant to prevent as it never worked as seen by Steam&Valve. I'm of the mind that a PC Gaming forum should be able to openly discuss PC Gaming, regardless of whether that content could be regarded as more suitable to the G(G) forum as we are all like minded here and have our own PC experiences/tech/mods/banter that goes beyond just the game we're playing. To cut that out is to resort to a forum based purely on PC Tech (not fun).

This is to be welcomed IMO.

And to me this is the most important issue facing PCG as i for one would not really want to contribute on a forum that i feel is to narrow in scope. And thats been proven not to work by PCG's previous iterations. I also have to say i appreciate any work put in,regarding keeping it that way. I would hope the attitude towards PCG in this sense continues,and its allowed to grow further if needed.

I do think the "Ban" on PCMR related stuff is a bit over the top in relation to PCG specifically,seems silly and unnecessary really. Was it not only a few months ago Boards deemed it ok to have a PCMR banner for the forum:P

At the risk of repeating myself the whole thing seems like a one size fits all solution with out considering each forum specifically.

Personally it does not mean much to me,its a term ive seen and laughed at on a few occasions but never really used it,for no particular reason other than i have never felt the need to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'm really glad you folks decided to do this, and doubly so that you've taken the feedback in this thread onboard. Awesome, fair dues! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Top notch stuff RD.

Was a bit blind-sided by the thing (minor as it was) but really pleased with how it was dealt with after this thread appeared.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fair play RD, don't think you could have made a more reasonable response to the feedback offered in this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Thanks to all the mods involved, especially RD... Not for overturning the original decision, but for their patience and good humour when dealing with this. Much appreciated!

Great news, glad that the feedback was taken into account. I personally will make sure i rise to the occasion and ensure my posting style is one of inclusiveness and respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Praise GabeN! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Falthyron wrote: »
    Praise GabeN! :D

lol someone had to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

end result:

UlfW7mS.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's funny how the term is perceived these days. I'm probably out of touch and I've never used the PCMR term here at all (except for now), never owned a console and always been a PC Gamer. I suppose for me it is a bit of a reclamation of pride for pc gamers in some ways. I remember the rise, fall and rise again of pc gaming. From the early days of Doom, Monkey Island and so on then along came consoles and slowly pc gaming started to fade and was seen as a foolish way to play games (expensive, can't play from the couch, can't play with mates on the couch) until along came Steam and the rise of digital purchases led to a recovery. You would still be lucky to find even a single shelf of PC Games in a bricks and mortar shop though. The upshot was that for a long time PC Gaming was seen as the lesser form and even to this day most threads in the general forum you will see a lot of posts that assume everyone is on console. Anyway because of all this I saw PCMR as a matter of newly found pride in the PC as a gaming choice and the fact that it isn't a foolish choice of platform and has many things going for it that many people forgot over the years and then started to remember again. I know thats not how most people see the term but then I'm not really a redit/meme kind of officiando bar what I see here generally. Glad to see some common sense applied here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

PCMR is meant to be a joke but casually titling threads with "Game X - PCMR edition" labelled all of PCG under that banner and would certainly raise some eyebrows for those that are not clued in. "Master Race" has very negative connotations, the least of which is saying that we are better than others which is not a very good way to encourage people to join in on the discussion. Anyway, thanks to the mods for the new wording, it's a good compromise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Here's an idea lads.. when yiz have a bright idea, take it out back and shoot it.

Very few of the mooted improvements to the gaming forums that came from the hallowed halls of modland have been worth a tinkers curse.

Advertisement