Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb: taxes?

Options
  • 26-06-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Folks, I'd like to rent a spare room posting it on airbnb. What kind of taxes should I pay on the rent income? I am a PAYE.

Is there any more tax-efficient way to rent a room?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

Rew wrote: »

Thanks Rew. The rent a room scheme applies only for long stays. If I'd like to rent the room for short periods what are the taxes I should pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tax payable at the marginal rate so depends on your income. USC and prsi also due. Rent a room way more attractive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per the above comments- the rent-a-room scheme does not apply. You have no allowable deductions for the income- its all taxed at your marginal rate.

Ireland signed up to a mutual cooperation agreement with several other EU countries recently- regarding Airbnb- as the number of beds available on Airbnb has now surpassed the number of hotel beds in 7 EU countries (and at current rates- another 2 by the end of the summer).

Don't play any games with Revenue on this- you will be hung out to dry.

As per the above comments- the rent-a-room scheme does not apply. You have no allowable deductions for the income- its all taxed at your marginal rate.

Ireland signed up to a mutual cooperation agreement with several other EU countries recently- regarding Airbnb- as the number of beds available on Airbnb has now surpassed the number of hotel beds in 7 EU countries (and at current rates- another 2 by the end of the summer).

I am asking to avoid to be hung out to dry, indeed :)

Being the taxation on rents too high outside of the rent-a-room scheme, I will definitely avoid Airbnb and rent out the room on Daft.ie and legally pay no taxes ;)

• Advertisement

pasquale83 wrote: »
    I am asking to avoid to be hung out to dry, indeed :)

Being the taxation on rents too high outside of the rent-a-room scheme, I will definitely avoid Airbnb and rent out the room on Daft.ie and legally pay no taxes ;)

Up to 12k gross income- inclusive of all contributions for bills and/or any other cash given to the home owner.

Go one penny over the 12k- and the whole lot is taxable.

Up to 12k gross income- inclusive of all contributions for bills and/or any other cash given to the home owner.

Go one penny over the 12k- and the whole lot is taxable.

Yeah, I know. I'll keep that in mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 friendlybee

For those who may not have heard

There's been news about taxes implications today and theres a public meeting for hosts this evening at 630pm at the airbnb office The Watermarque building, Dublin 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note:

Friendlybee please do not post duplicate comments on multiple threads. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gas Jockey

I'm sympathetic to the airbnb interpretation of the rules. There's nothing in the legislation which says that the room must be let out for an extended period versus a shorter term.
    I'm not a lawyer but Revenue could well be challenged on this.

• Advertisement

Gas Jockey wrote: »
    I'm sympathetic to the airbnb interpretation of the rules. There's nothing in the legislation which says that the room must be let out for an extended period versus a shorter term.
    I'm not a lawyer but Revenue could well be challenged on this.

There is.
    "The relief applies only to residential tenancies, not to short-term guest arrangements. The occupants must be using the room on a long-term basis. For example, renting a room to a student for the academic year is covered, but taking in guests for short breaks is not." http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

Are these B n B's registered with Failte Ireland or are they regulated by anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's not only tax advice but it's also wrong. To the extent that a person engages in a short term lettings business, there is nothing precluding that person from deducting direct costs of a revenue nature against the income in arriving at the profit to be taxed under Sch D Case V. Such expenses could include, advertising, commission, laundry, cleaning and other direct expenses at the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Marcusm wrote: »
    That's not only tax advice but it's also wrong. To the extent that a person engages in a short term lettings business, there is nothing precluding that person from deducting direct costs of a revenue nature against the income in arriving at the profit to be taxed under Sch D Case V. Such expenses could include, advertising, commission, laundry, cleaning and other direct expenses at the minimum.

I've heard that there are (quite unfairly ) no allowable deductions re airbnb letting.

Marcusm wrote: »

I'm not aware that any of those costs are allowable under the legislation as it stands- as its not deemed to be a residential letting, or a business. The gross income is chargeable at the person's marginal rate of tax- period. If/when this changes- as it is sure to do- it'll need enacting legislation etc- before they are allowable. Its a mess. If I'm wrong- do please point out where it allows the deduction of costs- because as far as I can see- it doesn't allow any costs, at all, of any nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'm not aware that any of those costs are allowable under the legislation as it stands- as its not deemed to be a residential letting, or a business. The gross income is chargeable at the person's marginal rate of tax- period. If/when this changes- as it is sure to do- it'll need enacting legislation etc- before they are allowable. Its a mess. If I'm wrong- do please point out where it allows the deduction of costs- because as far as I can see- it doesn't allow any costs, at all, of any nature.

For what it's worth, a tax advisor was just quoted on Newstalk's 5pm bulletin as saying that certain expenses are deductible, as it's akin to self-employed income.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no more need to change the law to tax the income/profits arising from AirBnB arrangements than from a traditional B&B or a "digs" type arrangement. The position is as I have posted it. I'm happy to delete it all (even though I strongly assert it's correct) provided you delete your very categoric but incorrect statements that no deductions are available.

Alternatively, we coud simply direct the OP to the Revenue's very clear guidance on what is deductible against "rental income" which includes all revenue sums derived from Irish land (excepting those taxed as a trade scuh as hotelkeeping).

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Why would people using Airbnb not think they would be taxed?!?

It's a form of B&B trading.

Thinking they could use the Rent a room scheme as a loop hole is delusional.

Best to keep in mind PPR CGT implications also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I think the whole idea is dodgy. Fire and safety regulations, taxes, any provision of food - how can you make a business out of renting out rooms in your house and claim it's not a business? Airb&b does provide (I think) some insurance against loss - in case your tenants/customers steal stuff - but do they also provide personal injury indemnity? What when somebody falls down your stairs, drunk or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I would venture that the kind of people using AirBNB to rent out rooms are paying very little if any tax in the first place on other income - the very idea of paying taxes is alien to 38% of income earners - the slightest effort by Revenue to get any money out of these people is viewed as akin to a mugging.

They are trading on the black market. Only right that they pay taxes and are regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

Do B&B's have to pay CGT on the portion of the home they were letting following a disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They are trading on the black market.

I'm sorry, but they are not.

The black market involves advertising by word of mouth or small local noticeboards (ie non-traceable places), and receiving cash payments only.

If you are letting via AirBnB, then the customers pay be credit card to AirBnB, and you get your money via them. There is a very clear electronic trail of what your income was, it's totally auditable - and you can expect that AirBnB will be co-operating with Revenue in whatever countries they are operating it. Nothing black market about it.

I'm sorry, but they are not.

The black market involves advertising by word of mouth or small local noticeboards (ie non-traceable places), and receiving cash payments only.

If you are letting via AirBnB, then the customers pay be credit card to AirBnB, and you get your money via them. There is a very clear electronic trail of what your income was, it's totally auditable - and you can expect that AirBnB will be co-operating with Revenue in whatever countries they are operating it. Nothing black market about it.

Not so.
    Just because there is, or is not, a paper trail- has no baring whatsoever on whether an enterprise is paying its taxes and behaving as a responsible business, or operating in the black market.

A strict definition of someone who is operating in the black market is-

A person, business or entity, providing an illegal traffic or trade in officially controlled or scarce commodities.

Technically- you could be paying tax in full- and still operating in the black market (if for example- you were operating in a regulated sector- and did not have the requisite permits etc to do so- but this is only one example).

The manner in which a person, business or entity advertises their goods or services- or indeed, in which they are paid- has no relevance whatsoever to whether or not they are operating in the black market- though admittedly they may be a useful yardstick to give an indication of the legitimacy of the business in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's a very narrow definition of black economy. Shadow economy, hidden economy, black economy, underground economy. They all mean pretty much the same thing and the main point which differentiates them from tax evasion, is the fact that the person receiving money has a primary job which they are registered and pay tax for.

So assuming the air B&B supplier is employed, pays tax and uses air B&B as a second source of income and doesn't declare it, it fits perfectly within the hidden economy and is a tax related crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But it would be impossible to not declare income from AirBnB! The audit trail is so strong, you'd be utterly crazy to think you could get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

But it would be impossible to not declare income from AirBnB! The audit trail is so strong, you'd be utterly crazy to think you could get away with it.

There are many people now complaining about their records being passed onto Revenue.

I think referring to it as the black economy until Revenue forced AirBnB's hand is fair enough.

You'd almost feel sorry for some of them
    "One man had travelled from Cork but was told he could not enter because he had not responded to an invitation on time. He was told he could attend the next meeting, which has yet to be organised.
    "I have a mortgage of more than €300,000 but lost my job last year, so have been using my house to earn some extra money to pay the bank," he said.
    "My social welfare is under threat now too as my Airbnb money is considered taxable income and apparently it does not count under the rent-a-room scheme."" http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/airbnb-plans-fight-against-decision-to-tax-homeowners-31445714.html

If he'd taken the time to read up on the rent a room scheme, he'd know it's not for short term lets.

Surely rent-a-room income is counted as 'means' when calculating entitlements for means tested social welfare payments anyway- or is it not? (I know we're digressing). If its counted as means for social welfare purposes- how on earth would airbnb income not be counted? If its not- well, then- perhaps it could be legitimately challenged.

Rent-a-room income has to be fully declared to the Revenue Commissioners on an annual basis via a tax return- even if there is no tax due on it. Airbnb people imagined they were somehow shielded from this obligation (irrespective of whether or not tax was due on the income).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You are allowed to work part time while on welfare ,
    i doubt if theres many people on welfare providing rooms on air bb .
    How many people on welfare have 1 or 2 spare rooms,
    maybe people over 60.
    Pensioners, most people over 60 don,t use the web or even have a smartphone.
    maybe people presumed it was like rent a room,
    tax free up to 12k .
    this maybe could be challenged in court .

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    You are allowed to work part time while on welfare ,

Any means based payments- will assess means- and have limits over which any means based social welfare entitlements will be reduced or withdrawn

i doubt if theres many people on welfare providing rooms on air bb .

If you listen to Newstalk- there would appear to be more than a few. How many- god only knows.
    How many people on welfare have 1 or 2 spare rooms,

Seeing as a PPR that is non income generating might not detract from means based payments- potentially there could be a large cohort. Not all people on social welfare are living in minimal sized properties.

maybe people over 60.
    Pensioners, most people over 60 don,t use the web or even have a smartphone.

Tell that to my late mother. She was using computers since the mid 70s, she had the first Commodore PET in the country- texting from the early 90s- and loved her smart phone dearly. My father- 70 sends e-mails daily- and while I wouldn't accuse him of being addicted to the internet- is mighty proud of his Macbook and what he can do with it.

Lots of people in their 60s and 70s- grew up and were part of the early revolution in home computers.
    maybe people presumed it was like rent a room,
    tax free up to 12k .
    this maybe challenged in court .

The rent-a-room scheme income has to be declared on an annual basis, via a personal tax return, to the Revenue Commissioners. It may be tax free- up to 12k gross- but that doesn't mean you don't have to declare it- you do.

Advertisement