Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Galway city

Options
  • 26-06-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have been looking for a house in Galway city for a while. Im not looking for a family house just a place i can call my own. I want somewhere central in a nice area thats relatively new and ready to walk into. This seems to be very hard to find. There are lovely houses in Knocknacarra in nice areas but I would like somewhere within walking distance of town, unfortunately houses in these areas seem to be older and need some work e.g. Bothar Mor, Claddagh. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations about other areas i should look in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

If it's a house rather than an apartment you're looking for it may be difficult alright. There are a few apartments and townhouses on daft. Woodquay is a nice area close to city centre. Houses are old but you might find one that has been renovated recently. College rd & Foster court close aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Try salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If youve an unlimited budget then theres lots of options, if not then your outside town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Ocean wave in Salthill is popular and it is easy to walk to town from there. Not sure how noisy/busy it is but it has newish houses and is close to Salthill prom too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A houseboat on the Eglinton Canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Rambler11

The semi detached houses in Ocean Wave seem really nice and i would love to buy one, but they don't go on sale too often. The terraced houses in the middle not so nice.

I also see that a terraced house in dun na carraige in salthill has gone up with asking price of 400,000. Is it really worth that? Im starting to think i cant have everything and will have to choose between nice house or good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

Rambler11 wrote: »
    Im starting to think i cant have everything and will have to choose between nice house or good location.

You can have everything if you're willing to wait for what may turn out to be a very long time.

I'd have to agree that you're looking at somewhere out of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Rambler11 wrote: »
    The semi detached houses in Ocean Wave seem really nice and i would love to buy one, but they don't go on sale too often. The terraced houses in the middle not so nice.

I also see that a terraced house in dun na carraige in salthill has gone up with asking price of 400,000. Is it really worth that? Im starting to think i cant have everything and will have to choose between nice house or good location.

Ocean Wave and Dun Na Carraige nice estates and are very quiet. Dun Na Carraige prices have remained consistently high even during the downturn.

Advertisement