Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's finally happening. My own games room.

Options
  • 26-06-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

It has been about 7 years in the offing but the time has finally come to start on my own games / entertainment room. This coming Monday we start a renovation of the house and our attic will become 'my' attic.

I have a large enough collection but nothing too insane. A decent selection of retro games from the PS2, GameCube and PSOne. Then a very large collection of Wii, PS3 and 360 games. Plus handheld and PS4 games. So those I have those games and the consoles to store.

The image below is the plan for the new room.
    Screenshot_2015_06_26_21_19_33.png

Anyone have any advice on where to look for good shelving? Has anyone ever gone for a bespoke solution to storage?

Also any suggestions on the best TV to go for? I like Samsung TVs myself and we have one already. But for gaming I find it a little lacking. You absolutely have to use it in Game Mode which does negatively effect the picture quality.

Also should I be wary of the number of power outlets I'll need these devices? I'm not sure if I'll want them all out on display, boxed away or actually hooked up. I'm tempted by the Retron 5 as it would save space. But there have been a few negative impressions in the forum here.

Also I'd be open to any general tips that people might have from setting up there own game room.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really like my Retron 5 but I'm afraid I don't do impressions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Mein God .... I fantasize about my own games room ... good for you ... enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

if you were going for bespoke shelving you could have t molded edges, they'd look the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

if you were going for bespoke shelving you could have t molded edges, they'd look the part.

T moulded edges? I'll Google that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would suggest, regardless of the lovely flatscreen you choose to install, you really have to get a CRT or two in there.
    They are cheap as chips and seeking out the right one, like a Sony Trinitron 21" or larger, will make all the difference to your pre HDMI consoles, also it'll mean you can play your lightgun titles as well, Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Time Crisis etc.
    Invest in a good RGB scart switching box, only use RGB for your pre HDMI consoles as well, it took me some time to come around but the difference is like night and day.
    If you have a Gamecube, get a Wavebird, very handy in a place where cables can get to be a problem.
    Try and keep everything NTSC or multiregion, it'll mean less swapping out consoles to play games from different places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Shall be getting my own games room in a few months too (in the process of buying a place), so have a spare room set aside which will house my PC and my consoles (except the Wii since that's hooked up to the "main" tv). Been storing a 36" sony widescreen CRT TV & stand for the occasion; will be glad to see it not in a hallway any more :D

It has been a while since I started this thread. Thought I throw up a couple of images of how the new games room is coming along. It is nearly there now. Another 2-3 weeks and it will be ready for painting, carpeting and filling with lots of consoles and games.

364515.jpg

364516.jpg

Quick question, you tiling the floor or carpeting?
    Tiles are great, easy to clean and no room for dust to hide.
    Carpets are great because the folks downstairs aren't as disturbed by your footfall and it muffles somewhat the sound of the equipment up there too.
    I went with a tight pile, inexpensive carpet in mine, works a treat.

edit: I see your going with carpeting, good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Would you have space for a projector screen?
    Have mine a while and well worth it if you're building a room for yourself.
    Storage below is from Ikea - well worth googleing "Ikea Hack" for gaming storage solutions.
    04102008311.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Attic looks great, nice and big, ive a guy doing mine at the minute too, he is putting in the stairs as i type this. Im going for a projector and surround sound in mine, the guy has wired it for speakers already for me. Plasterers are coming tomorrow.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Quick question, you tiling the floor or carpeting?
    Tiles are great, easy to clean and no room for dust to hide.
    Carpets are great because the folks downstairs aren't as disturbed by your footfall and it muffles somewhat the sound of the equipment up there too.
    I went with a tight pile, inexpensive carpet in mine, works a treat.

edit: I see your going with carpeting, good choice

I went with carpet mainly because I thought it would be best at soundproofing. It will also feel nice and cosy.
    smokingman wrote: »
    Would you have space for a projector screen?
    Have mine a while and well worth it if you're building a room for yourself.
    Storage below is from Ikea - well worth googleing "Ikea Hack" for gaming storage solutions.
    04102008311.jpg

I think I'm just going to go with a large TV. I just googled 'Ikea Hack' its a term I've never heard of. Some clever ideas.
    Attic looks great, nice and big, ive a guy doing mine at the minute too, he is putting in the stairs as i type this. Im going for a projector and surround sound in mine, the guy has wired it for speakers already for me. Plasterers are coming tomorrow.

It's an exciting time. The stairs to my attic is being put in on Thursday. There is plenty more going on in the house. We are hoping to move back in roughly three weeks. Where I will probably find that funds have run dry and the game room will lie empty for a while.

Thought I'd post up a little update.

Still some finishing left to do on the painting and the carpets are due on Friday. It's getting close to finished now.

366962.jpg

366963.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh man. jealous! nice one. been looking at converting my attic this year too but it's slightly too small to make it practical ... but maybe as storage room to free up space downstairs.

2 candies in there would look nice

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Wow that's a big attic! Just finishing up converting my own , I'm getting a 3D projector in and it's wired up for a surround sound system. As well as units along the side walls for my retro games etc. This is where I'm at ..

image3.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Damn, makes my room look puny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

giphy.gif

puny gamers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its not a games room, its a man cave :D

So a couple of months have passed and I've got some more work finished on my games room.

Retro
    This would be my retro collection. It's not huge but it is a good representation of what I used to own when I was younger. Some them are the original items but some I've bought again to replace things that were lost over time.
    82J59Xsh.jpg

Modern
    These shelves have my modern games. Looking at the collection Pro Evolution Soccer and Assassin's Creed are pretty well represented.
    MzWBwaBh.jpg

BVb47KSh.jpg

Film
    The plan is to use the room for more than just games though.
    SMJlR9bh.jpg

Miscellaneous
    5vZmhRsh.jpg

The comfy chair is sorted but...
    TSGUq0Gl.jpg

the TV needs an upgrade!
    v8lqHmRl.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Neat and tidy, looks great Josey. Speaking of tv upgrades, was drooling over a 55" OLED LG in Currys last night.

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Neat and tidy, looks great Josey. Speaking of tv upgrades, was drooling over a 55" OLED LG in Currys last night.

OLED? I'd say that was pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm wild jealous of some of these rooms!

Have a small (9 by 8 foot) room to myself. Have a ceiling mounted 1080p projector in there, with surround sound Blu Ray player.

I'd love to have a bit of proper room though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

OLED? I'd say that was pricey.

€2090, save €610 it said. Googled it earlier and it's a 2014 model (55EC930V), looked stunning though, lots of connection ports too. You playing Destiny on PS4? Respect for having Jaws in the film collection btw. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    €2090, save €610 it said. Googled it earlier and it's a 2014 model (55EC930V), looked stunning though, lots of connection ports too. You playing Destiny on PS4? Respect for having Jaws in the film collection btw. :)

Every collection should have Jaws.

I've been in the Boards Destiny clan since day 1. I've put so many hours into that game but taking a break with Fallout 4 at the moment.

I'm going to price the Samsung UE55JU6400 after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

loving the REM collection :D
    what is the Out of Time case thing?

Skerries wrote: »
    loving the REM collection :D
    what is the Out of Time case thing?

It's a limited edition of the album. It was my very first purchase on eBay back in 2002.

REM-Out-Of-Time-342166.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

very nice!

I must get the dvd versions of the videos as I still have them on VHS

Skerries wrote: »
    very nice!

I must get the dvd versions of the videos as I still have them on VHS

If you don't have it already, their last release R.E.M. TV was a great comprehensive retrospective on the band. Plenty of live performances over 6 discs and a brand new documentary.

Advertisement