Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick maternity hospital....heaters on in

• 26-06-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

The heaters are left on in the Limerick maternity hospital during this hot weather.....It was roasting in their today. I noticed a heater on full blast..Then I asked a midwife why are they left on. I was told there is no one responsible for the regulation of the heating system and the women can control the heat in each room.....A lot of women who go there I would presume were unaware that they had to control their own room.
    It must be a breathing ground for bacteria in there.
    Also it must cost an absolute fortune to leave the heaters on during the summer......
    If you park in the back of the maternity, you will notice that nearly every window is wide open....The place is like a sauna.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The heaters are left on in the Limerick maternity hospital during this hot weather.....It was roasting in their today. I noticed a heater on full blast..Then I asked a midwife why are they left on. I was told there is no one responsible for the regulation of the heating system and the women can control the heat in each room.....A lot of women who go there I would presume were unaware that they had to control their own room.
    It must be a breathing ground for bacteria in there.
    Also it must cost an absolute fortune to leave the heaters on during the summer......
    If you park in the back of the maternity, you will notice that nearly every window is wide open....The place is like a sauna.

breeding ground

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was there today, it was a nightmare in there, anywhere outside the waiting room was absolutely roasing, I felt so sorry for the poor women there, they seemed badly understaffed as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I was in having my baby on the hottest day of the year two years ago, when it went up to 30s! Heating on full blast in the room, it was insane! My little one was in just her nappy for the few days we were there as I was too afraid to put clothes on her, she was roasted! I was after having a section and I was put right next to the radiator too! Nightmare!!:mad:

Took my husband, another ladys hubby and finally my dad who snuck in with his tools to turn off the bloody thing - it is not easy to turn off the heat in your room in some rooms as they're the old school ones but with a little brute force it's possible. I highly recommend bringing in a fan too as the ones on the ceiling are set to super slow and are bloody useless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Gway out of that, women are nearly always cold! Agreed it's stupid to have the heating on in there, maybe the OP or others could write to the HSE or let the gov know they are wasting money on fuel during the summer months. Granted it should regulated because we havent exactly had a warm summer so far, but the last two weeks have been warmer at night.

Heading there Monday morning, I'll dress in shorts so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

My eldest was born on the hottest day of june in 2006, which was the warmest june in 30 years in some places in the regional.
    Every...Heater...On...Full...Blast.
    Old huge ones too, couldnt be turned off. Poor child thought he was from south america or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's insane and so dangerous. Babies are massively vulnerable to overheating. Almost makes me want to plan that any future babies are born in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just back from the maternity yesterday with a newborn....the heating being on would be the least of the problems imho.

The staff are doing an amazing job in difficult conditions.

The security is very very lax, you can wander into any room in the hospital without anyone asking who you are etc.

The no smoking rules aren't enforced at all either....not pleasure to have to walk through a wall of smoke when taking your missus out for a stroll and fresh air.

Also, having the Early Pregnancy Unit sharing the same waiting room as everyone else is far from ideal...people who are distressed, receiving bad news etc. should have a bit of privacy away from the main entrance and all the shenanigans that are allowed to go on.

Anyway, sorry for the mini rant....some small changes could make a big difference to everyone's experience in the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Hi all , unfortunately my wife had to go into maternity last Friday to have a dnc . I can't thank all of the staff there enough for they way that we were treated by each and everyone on them, they made what has been an extremely difficult time that little bit easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was there for a visit myself today and sure as sh1t every window in the place was open! It was melting in there, surely to god they are able to regulate the heat in there

Advertisement