Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a independent at home business

Options
  • 26-06-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Like it says on the title!
    I'm just done an intense course in 2D & 3D CAD (computer aided design -city and guilds L3).
    I am keeping the option open to work on contract for a business such as architects for residential or commercial plus freelance from home.
    I would like to be freelance, because I find I work best on my own.
    I don't need a premises, just the laptop, mouse, pen, paper & measurer.
    But, I do need some help getting the full AutoCAD license and 3D program since I've only the student package.
    I am going to the DSP when I can get an appointment to discuss options.

I have just finished my exams, and since finishing them I have already done 3D visualisation work for an architect in Limerick, 2D floor plans for a refit in a hair salon, worked with an interior designer for a new beauty premises helping the client see if the furniture will fit within the space, and currently doing a large piece for a friend who needs 2D & 3D plans to design her under-construction home... All in the past 3 weeks!!
    Of course I haven't been paid for these since I'm grateful to be gaining experience and learning from it.

Any tips or advice to give me going into the deep end!?
    ... Is it too soon to be thinking about going it alone?
    Does anyone know if it's a good area to take up on my own?
    Is there anyone who has knowledge in this area, who can tell me if there's a current need?

Sorry for the long post.
    Thanks for reading.
    S : )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Go to your Local Enterprise Board and ask about start your own business courses. The course will help answer a lot of your questions.
    I am pretty sure that autodesk offer a monthly payment system which would take the sting out of the license startup.
    Of course I haven't been paid for these since I'm grateful to be gaining experience and learning from it.

Be very careful about starting a business on the back of this, while it is great to develop a network of potential clients, there will always be plenty of free work available but you need to charge to survive as a business. If they are happy for you to do these jobs for free for experience, what happens in 6 months when you start to charge? will they stay with you or look for somebody else who wants experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

Experience gain by a beginner on you own doesn't had more strenght to portfolio like working in an an established company for few months.
    Try to intern or just work for few month to gain experience and learn some new tricks.

Advertisement