Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual citizenship and travelling to the US

Options
  • 26-06-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am Irish, married to an American, living in the UK. We have a year old son who has both British and American passports, not got around to getting his Irish one yet.

Can't remember why, but we had to get his UK passport soon after his birth, in the UK. Also got his American for when we travelled to the states, but while at the interview process @ the US embassy and talking to another person, they pointed out that going to America on an American passport is fine but coming back he has no right of residence in the UK. Happened to this person where he and his wife, both American with right of residence, had their baby and travelled back to the US, the baby was not allowed re-entry to the UK as he had no right of residence. They let him enter and then this couple got his UK passport to travel on.

So when we went to America last year, we travelled on his UK passport, but on arrival to the US they were not happy, as with American mother they wanted to have him enter for the first time as an American, for some reasons I can't remember now. They eventually let him enter as an American citizen but without any documentation to prove it.

Next month we are travelling from Dublin to the US and I was wondering should we travel on his American passport or UK.

Do we need to enter the US on his American as we had no proof of his citizenship the first time?

Could we travel out on his US and back on his UK passport?

Or are there any other options?

Regards

Makluse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

makluse wrote: »
    Next month we are travelling from Dublin to the US and I was wondering should we travel on his American passport or UK.

I believe anyone with dual passports should use the the one that is for the country they are entering.

Use the US passport for entering the US and then use the UK passport for returning to the UK.

That would have worked in the instances you described above wouldnt it?

I dont think its like you have to pick one before you leave. Just take both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The US wants all its citizens to travel to and from the USA on their US passports, they are VERY picky about this. I agree with the previous poster, simply take both.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 makluse

Problem with that is that he will never get any stamps in either passport, so when going through emigration on which ever side they will never know where he has been.

I know an Uncle of mine got into trouble with this, travelling out of the US on his US passport and into Europe on his EU passport. When re-entering the US had all these questions about hiding his travel, and why and for what reason, so even though it was for short queues they looked at it much more sinisterly.

Ideally we would like to travel on his EU passport as its only for a holiday but as its his first official entry with documentation will it affect his citizenship in the US if we enter with his UK passport.

I know an Uncle of mine got into trouble with this, travelling out of the US on his US passport and into Europe on his EU passport. When re-entering the US had all these questions about hiding his travel, and why and for what reason, so even though it was for short queues they looked at it much more sinisterly.

??

I'm confused

So you have an uncle with dual citizenship, and he told you not to use the us passport for the us and the Eu passport for the Eu?

What did he suggest doing then?

And what was this "trouble" that he got into? They looked at him sinisterly?

I'm a little wary of this story your uncle has told you.

Ideally we would like to travel on his EU passport as its only for a holiday but as its his first official entry with documentation will it affect his citizenship in the US if we enter with his UK passport.

If he has a us passport you use that for the us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

InTheTrees wrote: »
    ??

I'm confused

So you have an uncle with dual citizenship, and he told you not to use the us passport for the us and the Eu passport for the Eu?

What did he suggest doing then?

And what was this "trouble" that he got into? They looked at him sinisterly?

I'm a little wary of this story your uncle has told you.

I think his point was they didn't find an EU entry stamp on his US passport when he was entering the US (since he didn't use his US passport to enter the EU) which unnerved them a little bit. I don't know if they always look for that stamp or not but I guess without it they don't know where you've been, maybe he was visiting Afghanistan or Pakistan on his trip (which might normally raise red flags).

As for the OP given that the question pertains to a baby I doubt it would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

If you hold a U.S. passport you must travel into/out of the U.S. using that passport, or risk finding yourself in a holding cell for a few hours.

Though why anyone would want to apply for US citizenship for a non resident in this day and age and subject them to a lifetime of expensive tax returns and onerous filings despite never working a day in their life in that country for the sake of saving 30 minutes queuing every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 makluse

spideog7 wrote: »
    I think his point was they didn't find an EU entry stamp on his US passport when he was entering the US (since he didn't use his US passport to enter the EU) which unnerved them a little bit. I don't know if they always look for that stamp or not but I guess without it they don't know where you've been, maybe he was visiting Afghanistan or Pakistan on his trip (which might normally raise red flags).

As for the OP given that the question pertains to a baby I doubt it would be a problem.

Exactly, they stated that he may be involved in terrorism. After a while they let them go but warned them that they should at least enter their first port of entry after leaving the US on their US passport. This limited them though to staying for a maximum of 3 months in Ireland, used to stay up to 6 at times.

This guy may or may not be correct but it was one of the first google hits when asking the question:

"For example, if you hold an EU and US passport and are taking a trip to the US, exit Europe with your EU passport. Upon arrival in the US, show your US passport at the US immigration check. When you return to the EU, show your US passport again upon exiting the country, and enter the EU with your EU passport."

http://beforeitsnews.com/travel/2013/08/dual-citizens-how-to-travel-with-two-passports-2-2455840.html

This guy may or may not be correct but it was one of the first google hits when asking the question:

"For example, if you hold an EU and US passport and are taking a trip to the US, exit Europe with your EU passport. Upon arrival in the US, show your US passport at the US immigration check. When you return to the EU, show your US passport again upon exiting the country, and enter the EU with your EU passport."

http://beforeitsnews.com/travel/2013/08/dual-citizens-how-to-travel-with-two-passports-2-2455840.html

You don't need any passport to exit a country though so that doesn't make any sense.

Also just because you enter Ireland on a US passport doesn't mean you can only stay 3 months, you're still an Irish citizen with an Irish passport, they're not going to deport you just because your other passport has a 3 month stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

You don't need any passport to exit a country though so that doesn't make any sense.

WHAT?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Also just because you enter Ireland on a US passport doesn't mean you can only stay 3 months, you're still an Irish citizen with an Irish passport, they're not going to deport you just because your other passport has a 3 month stamp.

While you don't show it - your passport is registered with the authorities that you left. So it could get awkward if you leave booked on your european passport when you don't have an ESTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

OP use the US passport to enter AND leave the US.

However, bring the UK passport with you as well so you can use the UK/EU line in the airport in the UK instead of the non EU line, less questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

OP use the US passport to enter AND leave the US.

However, bring the UK passport with you as well so you can use the UK/EU line in the airport in the UK instead of the non EU line, less questions.

This, don't try to enter the UK on the UK passport, simply have it with you to show the officer at the border. They used to issue a certificate of entitlement to put in your other passport, but you can't get that now if you have a UK passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Avada wrote: »
    This, don't try to enter the UK on the UK passport, simply have it with you to show the officer at the border. They used to issue a certificate of entitlement to put in your other passport, but you can't get that now if you have a UK passport.

Exactly.

If you try to use the UK passport to leave the US after using the US passport to enter they will freak out when they can't find the entry stamp for your VISA waiver.

Exactly.

If you try to use the UK passport to leave the US after using the US passport to enter they will freak out when they can't find the entry stamp for your VISA waiver.

and then the UK will freak out because things aren't matching up on their e-borders system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Quite a number of countries do require them, to be fair.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Quite a number of countries do require them, to be fair.

I suppose that's plausible, I just haven't been to any of them. I do take the point that the passport details are on your ticket so probably registered somewhere in the system. Never had to actually show it or go through any kind of immigration check when leaving the US though, which was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

travelling out of the US on his US passport and into Europe on his EU passport.
    I use my US passport entering America (as a US citizen, you have to), and my Irish passport entering Ireland/the EU. Never had any problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Wouldn't it be easier just to have one passport?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't it be easier just to have one passport?

no.

Dual citizenship has a lot of advantages. Some friends of mine are dual citizens from when their parents came to the US in the 80's. They go back and forth to europe all the time, and both did their university studies in Germany to avoid expensive bank loans here in the US. They were able to do it as EU citizens, but could kick start their careers here if they wanted.

One stayed in Europe, the other came back to the US.

Dual citizenships open a lot of doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I would have thought a lot of that would be okay because of EUROPEAN PASSPORT anyway!

I would have thought a lot of that would be okay because of EUROPEAN PASSPORT anyway!

It is, but the US visa/greencard/citizenship is really complicated. The ideal set up for irish people is to have both US and Irish citizenship so that you can move between the continents pretty easily.

Most dual citizens that I know keep the dual citizenship mostly to pass on to their kids to give them the opportunity of moving to europe if they wanted. They mostly travel on their US documents if they know they are going to be less than 3 months

They mostly travel on their US documents if they know they are going to be less than 3 months

I mentioned this earlier too, but as far as Ireland is concerned (probably Europe really too) surely it doesn't matter what it says in your passport once you're here. You can't possibly overstay if you are an Irish citizen, even if your US passport says you have to leave. You can be a citizen without possessing a passport and what passport you choose to use on any given occasion doesn't change the fact that you're still a citizen of the other country.

I'm not saying it should be done since you might well be breaking a bunch of rules, the US specifically requires that you enter on your US passport, Ireland may well do the same thing, at any rate I doubt they'd be keen on people using their foreign passport since it may show up in their system as someone overstaying.

As far as I'm concerned I would consider becoming a US citizen (when I'm eligible) only so I could freely move to Ireland for any period of time I wanted without having to worry about losing my residency (and to a lesser extent so that I could vote). I need to look into the full details of FATCA though because that might put me off.

You can actually get a Stamp in your US passport to prove you're an Irish Citizen. Not much good for the rest of Europe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Entering the US use the US passport. Leaving the US show the US passport at checkin, security.
    Entering Europe use the European passport.
    Leaving Europe for the US use the US passport.

There is no requirement to show the same passport at origin and destination. I've been doing this for a over a decade with no problem. Countries (not just the US) get bent out of shape when their citizens try to enter without using their "local" passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I suppose that's plausible, I just haven't been to any of them.

Most (all?) countries in the Schengen area have passport controls if exiting the Schengen area, I believe.

As far as I'm concerned I would consider becoming a US citizen (when I'm eligible) only so I could freely move to Ireland for any period of time I wanted without having to worry about losing my residency (and to a lesser extent so that I could vote). I need to look into the full details of FATCA though because that might put me off.

I've been eligible for well over a decade now but havent done it.

A few expats I've talked to mention doing it before leaving the US. The status of social security being so political, its not inconceivable that a future republican party, committed to social security reform, may start by denying foreigners, who are receiving their SS payments in a foreign country (a group of people with NO political clout in the US at all!).
    For that reason get your US citizenship before you intend moving home again, its something to consider.

A few expats I've talked to mention doing it before leaving the US. The status of social security being so political, its not inconceivable that a future republican party, committed to social security reform, may start by denying foreigners, who are receiving their SS payments in a foreign country (a group of people with NO political clout in the US at all!).
    For that reason get your US citizenship before you intend moving home again, its something to consider.

I'm not eligible for SS for another few years anyway (10 years working I think) and I fully anticipate that there will be nothing left by the time I retire! But yes I think moving home would be one of the main motivations to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Get US tax advice first. Being a non-resident US citizen can be a very expensive prospect..........

Oh, and some banks wont open accounts for US citizens due to the prohibitive reporting requirements.

Advertisement