Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual citizenship and travelling to the US

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Get US tax advice first. Being a non-resident US citizen can be a very expensive prospect..........

Oh, and some banks wont open accounts for US citizens due to the prohibitive reporting requirements.

Interesting. I know about the IRS's long reach which is why I've put it off this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Interesting. I know about the IRS's long reach which is why I've put it off this long.

Isn't the foreign earnings credit this year 100K? Not too many jobs in Europe pay to that level

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Better to have it than not, I think. If you decide to leave the US for good, you can always renounce your citizenship.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2015/05/08/new-un-american-record-renouncing-u-s-citizenship/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Isn't the foreign earnings credit this year 100K? Not too many jobs in Europe pay to that level

Elderly relatives, wills and probate, etc.

The lawyer I spoke to advised caution and I'm happy enough to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Get US tax advice first. Being a non-resident US citizen can be a very expensive prospect..........

Oh, and some banks wont open accounts for US citizens due to the prohibitive reporting requirements.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the rules on taxes for PR and citizens were the same ?
    Elderly relatives, wills and probate, etc.

The lawyer I spoke to advised caution and I'm happy enough to wait.

This an issue I am (sadly) about to face soon. I'd not even considered it. What was the short version of what the lawyer said before I start making calls ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Interesting. I was under the impression that the rules on taxes for PR and citizens were the same ?

It is while you're a US resident (with one small exception involving estate taxes I believe). The issue being discussed on this thread is when/if you were to leave the US for more than 6months (1year with prior approval) at which point your PR would automatically expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

IMPORTANT NOTICE

According to Section 215 of the U.S Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) it is illegal for a U.S. citizen to enter or leave the U.S on anything other than a U.S. document. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Irish and U.S. citizenships MUST enter and leave the U.S. on a valid U.S. passport; they may NOT enter/leave the U.S. on an Irish/foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

Kind Regards,
    BMA │American Citizens Services Unit│U.S. Embassy│ 42 Elgin Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 │ACSDublin@state.gov │ http://dublin.usembassy.gov

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Pkiernan wrote: »
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

According to Section 215 of the U.S Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) it is illegal for a U.S. citizen to enter or leave the U.S on anything other than a U.S. document. This applies to dual citizens as well, meaning that persons holding e.g. both Irish and U.S. citizenships MUST enter and leave the U.S. on a valid U.S. passport; they may NOT enter/leave the U.S. on an Irish/foreign passport. This applies to children as well as adults.

Kind Regards,
    BMA │American Citizens Services Unit│U.S. Embassy│ 42 Elgin Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 │ACSDublin@state.gov │ http://dublin.usembassy.gov

As stated earlier, use the US one everywhere except passport control in Dublin on your return. I always do it, and am just about to do it again today!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am due to have a baby in a few weeks who will be born here in the US. I am an Irish citizen. All going well, I plan to travel to Ireland with baby for Christmas. Should I just apply for a US passport for him/her or is there a reason or benefit to having an Irish passport too?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Novella wrote: »
    I am due to have a baby in a few weeks who will be born here in the US. I am an Irish citizen. All going well, I plan to travel to Ireland with baby for Christmas. Should I just apply for a US passport for him/her or is there a reason or benefit to having an Irish passport too?
    If the child will only be visiting Ireland, then it probably doesn't need an Irish passport at this point (it will need a US passport to get back into the US!)

But you definitely want to make sure that the child is entered on the register of Foreign Births, so that if/when they want or need an EU passport for work or travel purposes everything is ready to go.

• Advertisement

kellsred wrote: »
    As stated earlier, use the US one everywhere except passport control in Dublin on your return. I always do it, and am just about to do it again today!
    I have a friend who has stopped even using his Irish passport coming in to Dublin. Since his (American) wife is no longer entitled to Irish Citizenship since the law was changed 10 or 12 years ago, she has to wait in the Non-EU line, and he has decided to stay in that line with her. As there is no benefit to using his Irish passport, he just enters Ireland on his US passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Bayberry wrote: »
    I have a friend who has stopped even using his Irish passport coming in to Dublin. Since his (American) wife is no longer entitled to Irish Citizenship since the law was changed 10 or 12 years ago, she has to wait in the Non-EU line, and he has decided to stay in that line with her. As there is no benefit to using his Irish passport, he just enters Ireland on his US passport.

He would be different to a newborn child though, the immigration officer would most likely see his place of birth as Ireland and DOB as pre 2004. So automatically an Irish Citizen and not subject to the normal non EU immigration controls.

Avada wrote: »
    He would be different to a newborn child though, the immigration officer would most likely see his place of birth as Ireland and DOB as pre 2004. So automatically an Irish Citizen and not subject to the normal non EU immigration controls.
    They're just visiting Ireland from the US for a week or two, once or twice a year, so the only "immigration control" involved is a stamp in the passport.

He used to bring his wife with him through the EU citizen line, until a year or two ago when he was told that wasn't allowed.

As he said himself "Welcome Home, me arse!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I've travelled into Ireland with an infant on a U.S. Passport and me with my Irish passport without any problem - they let us through the EU line too!

Novella doesn't need to register on the foreign birth register, it is only for people eligible for citenzship to claim it. As she is born in Ireland her child is automatically an Irish citizen. However, if her child was to stay in the U.S. and go on to have children then the foreign birth registry would come into play.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

i HAVE A ENGLISH birth cert but was brought back to Ireland 7 days after been born. My mother is from Liverpool. can I get get a English passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Bayberry wrote: »
    [b0They're just visiting Ireland from the US for a week or two, once or twice a year, so the only "immigration control" involved is a stamp in the passport.[/b]

He used to bring his wife with him through the EU citizen line, until a year or two ago when he was told that wasn't allowed.

As he said himself "Welcome Home, me arse!"

That's just untrue.

She is non-EU, why should she get in the EU line ahead of others?

That's just untrue.

What's untrue? Until relatively recently, there was no problems with families staying together as a group passing through passport control, which meant that a family with an Irish passport holder could go through the EU line which is sometimes shorter.

In 2013 or 2014 my friend was told that he couldn't do that any more. If he wanted to stay with his family, he might as well leave his Irish passport at home, he'd have to go in the longer non-EU line, and it wouldn't make any difference whether he presented his US passport or his Irish passport, as he'd be allowed in anyway for the week that he was staying.
    Because she is married to and travelling with an Irish Citizen.

cena wrote: »
    i HAVE A ENGLISH birth cert but was brought back to Ireland 7 days after been born. My mother is from Liverpool. can I get get a English passport

You probably can - but it'd be worth phoning the embassy or the home office in London to check.

Though why you'd need british citizenship is the question - it's EU so you'd have the same rights everywhere as you do with the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

That's just untrue.

Because they (used to anyway) try and keep families with small kids together.

I've had mixed results travelling with my wife (American citizen) and my daughter (both passports). Depends on the Garda on duty. Younger ones tend to be sticklers, older ones (presumably with kids of their own) let us all through together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You probably can - but it'd be worth phoning the embassy or the home office in London to check.

Though why you'd need british citizenship is the question - it's EU so you'd have the same rights everywhere as you do with the Irish one.

Only reason I could see might be that some countries might let UK citizens in without a visa and Irish might need one?

Can't think of any country though.

• Advertisement

Only reason I could see might be that some countries might let UK citizens in without a visa and Irish might need one?

Can't think of any country though.

I can't find a list, but Irish passport allows visa free travel to 170 countries (or visa on arrival) - the UK to 173

The only other reason (and all round bad idea) would be if he was thinking of overstaying on one visa, then trying to pull a fast one on the authorities and try travel again on the other passport

i doubt anyone would be that dumb to try it though considering the main details (DOB/Name etc) would all be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Pkiernan wrote: »
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

Kind Regards,
    It certainly isn't the clearest wording, but I agree with other posters:

Use US Passport checking in to flight to US and at US CBP; for your flight back to Ireland use US Passport checking in and Irish Passport at Irish immigration.

Advertisement