Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

sabat wrote: »
    Before they descended into cheesy cover-version hell UB40 were a good band. Check out this 13 minute dub workout/meditation on Thatcherism, recorded in their mate's bedsit for zero money:

I'm sure they're decent guys with a social conscience but for some weird reason they seem to draw a rough crowd in Ireland. Maybe it's the hypnotic rhythm that draws them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Was really looking forward to seeing Pixies at that gig but thought they were meh and partly down to the fact there is no life or interaction, it is just one song into another. I didn't know their entire collection so at times it was hard to know when one song finished and another started. As someone else mentioned, they walked off early as well. Have been to see other bands who I don't know too well but few were as big a letdown as Pixies.

They didn't walk off early, they played until their sound was cut. They did the same in the Olympia that year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

They didn't walk off early, they played until their sound was cut. They did the same in the Olympia that year
    I was at that Olympia gig. Pretty sure they finished up their quite mechanical and ridiculously brief recital exactly when they'd planned the night I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

A House.
    Dave Couse, all he did was insult the crowd...ugly as a pig also !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I was at that Olympia gig. Pretty sure they finished up their quite mechanical and ridiculously brief recital exactly when they'd planned the night I was there.

I think the Pixies are awesome live. I dont go to gigs to listen to a load of shyte talk in between songs - a hello and a goodbye would be nice but apart from that, their live show is fine by me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I think the Pixies are awesome live. I dont go to gigs to listen to a load of shyte talk in between songs - a hello and a goodbye would be nice but apart from that, their live show is fine by me.
    i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

They were cut off at the gig i was at in the Olympia, perhaps you were at a different gig or are wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Elton John a few years back at the RDS... played none of his hits all from new album. . Boring and self indulgent. .

He last played in the RDS in 2005 (more than a few years back ;)) and I've had a look at that setlist and you are completely wrong!

Hits that he played included Daniel, Bennie and The Jets, Rocket Man, I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, Sacrifice, Are You Ready For Love, Philadelphia Freedom, Sad Songs, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, I'm Still Standing, The Bitch Is Back, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, Crocodile Rock and Your Song.

That's 90% of the setlist!!

I'm guessing the album you are talking about is Peachtree Road? God, I would give my left arm to hear that album in full and live.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tom tit tot

Basshunter... stop judging me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Shane McGowan - Yeah I know what your going to say, what did you expect?. I saw him in The Heritage Hotel about 6-7 years back, was part of some trad festival thingy that was on in Portlaoise at the time. I knew things were'nt starting off well, when the admission was free in and the hall was poorly attended. McGowans band consisted of Mundy and Sharon Shannon and members of De Dannen. Sharon Shannon did her part, was actually good, Mundy warbled out his songs , "Galway Girl" included (how i hate that song!!!). Anyway Shane McGowan was meant to be on stage at 10pm, didnt show up till 11pm, worse for wear (surprise, surprise!!!), slumped over the microphone stand , tried to straighten himself up, fell over twice, bellowed into the microphone and practically crawled off stage after 15 minutes, then guess what, good old Mundy starts bellowing out "Galway Girl" again , before you know it, the natives were getting restless and I think this permeated its way up to the stage, where Mundy quickly wrapped up his set and the band stomped off the stage quickly, it was eventful , I'll give you that.

That gig was Sharon Shannon's Big Band with guests Mundy, Damien Dempsey and Shane. It wasn't Shane's band. Shane was only contracted to do three or four songs and an encore with everybody at the end.

Shane was bad. I'll give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Similar experience at Alkaline Trio in the Academy last time they played here. Singer was off his face and almost fell off stage several times, threw up on himself, and threw his guitar off his shoulder mid song. Could see the frustration in the other two band members as the night went on, and to their credit they managed to pull it up to a passable gig.

Yeah, I was there for that and Matt Skiba is one of my idols..... made for some hard watching.

Luckily I'd seen them in Germany 2 weeks before hand and Dan (Bass) helped me up on stage to propose to my now Fiance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Similar experience at Alkaline Trio in the Academy last time they played here. Singer was off his face and almost fell off stage several times, threw up on himself, and threw his guitar off his shoulder mid song. Could see the frustration in the other two band members as the night went on, and to their credit they managed to pull it up to a passable gig.
    It's sad to read this as I saw them when they played the Ambassador in 2006 and they put on a good show. I haven't paid any attention to the band in recent years so I don't know what's going on with them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Generally enjoy any gig I go to, but there was one that was just awful.

Esoteric closing the Doom Over Leipzig festival last year. Most appropriate band name ever. It was the most boring, rambling funeral doom nonsense I've ever seen. I only stuck it out because it was the last performance, and it did slightly pick up towards the end, but it was such an anti-climax, especially considering the calibre of every other band. Conan should have played last that night instead of going first!

Utter ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cormac... wrote: »
    Yeah, I was there for that and Matt Skiba is one of my idols..... made for some hard watching.

Luckily I'd seen them in Germany 2 weeks before hand and Dan (Bass) helped me up on stage to propose to my now Fiance :)

Skiba has a habit of pissing off his fans and being pissed on stage.

We have a new low.

Damien Rice in Galway last night. Bar closed at 9.30 at his request, no mobile phones and no talking.

Now that's a bit precious...and worst of all, no drink, phone or chat and having to listen to him warble away...

https://www.facebook.com/roisindubhgalway

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Damien Rice in Galway last night. Bar closed at 9.30 at his request, no mobile phones and no talking.

That actually sounds brilliant to me.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

That actually sounds brilliant to me.

According to one friend, who actually has good taste in music but for some unfathomable reason likes Damien Rices quietly breathing a few words, there was no talking allowed...between songs!

According to one friend, who actually has good taste in music but for some unfathomable reason likes Damien Rices quietly breathing a few words, there was no talking allowed...between songs!

I should have said perfect apart from Damien Rice :pac:

Yeah no talking between songs is obviously ridiculous. But a gig where you don't have people talking through the quiet parts of songs, pushing past you to get to the bar every 5 minutes and blocking your view so they can make a shítty recording on their smartphone sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Madonna at Slane.....first she kept us waiting over an hour because it was raining and then when she did appear an hour later than she should have, she didn't do any of her big hits....so disappointing

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Damien Rice so I've heard is very difficult towards his crowds. He sets out a list of demands, and if they are not met by the audience, there is alot of scowling and comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Damien Rice so I've heard is very difficult towards his crowds. He sets out a list of demands, and if they are not met by the audience, there is alot of scowling and comments.

I'm not a fan, but to be fair I don't really see a problem with this. It's his show. If people don't like the way he likes to perform, I'm not sure why they'd go to see him in the first place.

I'm not a fan, but to be fair I don't really see a problem with this. It's his show. If people don't like the way he likes to perform, I'm not sure why they'd go to see him in the first place.

As long as the tickets say no drinking, talking or mobile phones, no smiling or waving, no whatever else might annoy a person playing to the public in order to make money, it's fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

As long as it says so on the billing. Demanding silence out of the blue? It's the customer's ticket, they can talk if they want, even if they are f#$king annoying.
    Good performers don't need to DEMAND attention anyway!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not sure where I am on it, it allows focus and attention on the performance.
    But he is apparerntly overtly dickish about how he makes his intentions known. And it does take away some of the live atmosphere. I find alot of memories from gigs is the reaction to a certain song or chorus and how the performers feed of it.

Some people don't have a clue about gig etiquette to be fair. They'll go to gigs and chat their friends for the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I find alot of memories from gigs is the reaction to a certain song or chorus and how the performers feed of it.

A few years ago Rufus Wainwright in the Olympia didn't allow any applause between songs. I had tickets but ended up missing it, but friends who were at it said it was really really weird, everyone just sitting looking at each other, nearly daring each other to make a noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The Killers at Oxygen 2005. Clearly just off the back of a long tour, they were the most sterile band I've ever seen live. No soul, no joy in the performance whatsoever.

I was gutted because Hot Fuss had always made them sound like a great live band and I've heard nothing but good things from people who've seen them elsewhere. Very disappointing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

kenmc wrote:
    thought it was just me. Any time i've heard her stuff on the radio it's been reasonably easy to listen to. On glasto though she sounds tone deaf, and I noticed the same on graham norton show a few weeks back too but had that as a once off.

Thats just the way music has gone now, you don't need to be talented to a famous singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

As long as it says so on the billing. Demanding silence out of the blue? It's the customer's ticket, they can talk if they want, even if they are f#$king annoying.

Ive seen great performers drowned out by people yapping down the back any second there is a quiet, slow building or atmospheric moment, some people have pathetic attention spans. Its beyond annoying and its getting far far worse. I went on at length about people at sigur ros gigs in this thread.

I totally agree with what rice was trying, but its best that its self policed by the crowd and not putting down drastic measures.

This "i paid my well earned money to be here so i should be allowed do whatever the f(*k i like" attitude wrecks gigs for people who paid their well earned money to come just to watch a gig and its getting worse. Escpecially for gigs that arent turned up to 11 the whole time.

Oh i don't really like Damien Rice by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rodrigo y Gabriella at the Big Top in Limerick on Monday, nothing to do with either Rodrigo or Gabriella, they were excellent, but the crowd were the worst shower of c*nts I've ever had to suffer at a gig, half of them were talking loudly the whole way through, c*nts strolling about the place, two people in front of me raising camera phones non stop.

I wouldn't be in to Damien Rice but fair play to him for getting the crowd to do what the paid to do (listen to him) if Rod or Gab did the same I would at least have got some enjoyment out of their gig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

He seemed really happy at The Marquee with wise words of wit and satire, you could hear a pin drop there. Maybe he picks up on the mood from the crowd.

On another note, Christy Moore also refuses bars at his gigs probably due to his former addictions and gets very ratty with the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Fair dues to Damien Rice IMO.

You can definitely notice in the O2 / Three Arena since you can bring pints into the hall that the a lot of people there would seem more interested in going to and from the bar the whole night rather than enjoying the gig they paid €60+ for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Have to say I agree - I seen Planxty in Vicar st when they reformed fo a few shows a few years back. I think the bar may have closed once the gig started but it made no different, you could hear a pin drop in the place and it was the performance that hushed people down to nothing. It didnt need to be demanded the performance was that good that that everyone knew they were witnessing something very special.

I saw Villagers in Limerick recently and Conor actually asked a section of the crowd to quieten down...quite rightly too...Damien Rice is still a knob though...saw Noel Gallagher last nite, now theres a man who takes the piss..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

As long as the tickets say no drinking, talking or mobile phones, no smiling or waving, no whatever else might annoy a person playing to the public in order to make money, it's fine.

I went to a Dave Chappelle gig. He was the same way.

In fairness to Damien Rice. I lived in Galway most of my life at one point or another, I think we all outgrow the place and the sh1te that goes on there. That crowd is typical...they were also all probably talking about how he was a dry sh1te....

You can see plenty of gigs of his over the last few years with alcohol flowing, people talking between songs and shouting up to him. In some, he's even drinking himself. Tells stories, gets the crowd to sing part of the songs.

Again, knowing Galway and the Arts Festival in particular, I'd blame the crowd more so than the performer in this case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Sleepy wrote: »
    The Killers at Oxygen 2005. Clearly just off the back of a long tour, they were the most sterile band I've ever seen live. No soul, no joy in the performance whatsoever.

I was gutted because Hot Fuss had always made them sound like a great live band and I've heard nothing but good things from people who've seen them elsewhere. Very disappointing gig.

Probably just having an off day....I saw them in the Phoenix Park and they were phenomenal!

I saw the National in Cork then Galway lasy year, the difference between the 2 gigs was unreal..one really into it the other only there to be seen (and their sticky on beards) IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Some people don't have a clue about gig etiquette to be fair. They'll go to gigs and chat their friends for the whole thing.

Totally, I'd be in favour of kicking people out of gigs like this if they refuse to stfu. Saw Jon Gomm in DeBarra's last year, and there was a few ****ing langers down the back who just could not give it a rest, talking about how they went to this gig and that gig. I told them to shut up a couple of times, but no joy. Height of rudeness for acoustic solo performers in particular. My dad left in annoyance and only that Jon Gomm was so good and I managed to get up closer to the front, I might have done the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

We have a new low.

Now that's a bit precious...and worst of all, no drink, phone or chat and having to listen to him warble away...

https://www.facebook.com/roisindubhgalway

It would appear that you weren't at the gig yet you're happy to include it in the worst gig you've been at ??

I was at the Damien Rice gig, really enjoyed it, the talking was a pain in the arse and I didn't have a problem with him saying it, agree with him that going to a gig and chatting away all through it is a bit odd.

No problem with the bar closed either, there's plenty of time to drink before and after the gig.

That said the big top doesn't suit him and his style of music, would love to see him in a more intimate setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

There must of been over 100 people just sitting outside the tent drinking at the bar at St. Vincent on Tuesday while she was playing, why pay over €40 to go and see somebody and not even go into the tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

rodge68 wrote: »
    I saw Villagers in Limerick recently and Conor actually asked a section of the crowd to quieten down...quite rightly too...Damien Rice is still a knob though...saw Noel Gallagher last nite, now theres a man who takes the piss..

What didn't you like about the Noel Gallagher gig?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I think he means the guy's a hardass. In a good way.

Shelflife wrote: »
    It would appear that you weren't at the gig yet you're happy to include it in the worst gig you've been at ?.

Damien Rice?

No. Even though it wasn't specified, my snoring would definitely have annoyed him!

Was trying to think of a quiet gig I've been to. Joe Jackson was one, no rules laid down, you could still hear a pin drop, he was mesmerisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Xenji wrote: »
    There must of been over 100 people just sitting outside the tent drinking at the bar at St. Vincent on Tuesday while she was playing, why pay over €40 to go and see somebody and not even go into the tent.

Same reason why people spend €300 to spend the weekend drinking in a field in Punchestown.

That came put wrong, instead of getting angry with the crowd he just took the piss out of them with his Manchester sarcastic and witty comments, funny out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

trackguy wrote: »
    The best & worst gigs I've been to were both Ryan Adams gigs. He played the Ambassador with the Cardinals - 5/6 years ago and it was brilliant. Great sound, excellent set list and the band was so tight. Very little interaction from Mr Adams, which was to be expected.

Went to see him solo in the Olympia a few years back. Dreadful. He sounded ok but wouldn't stop complaining about people making noise. Real childish ****e like when someone got up to go to the toilet - "Jeez, you guys drink too much" or some guy sneezes and he says "you guys should drink more orange juice, vitamin c blah blah blah". Twat.

I'm sure all was forgotten when the intro to Summer of '69 rang out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

padd b1975 wrote: »

I read that and thought "fùck, I've been calling him Bryan all this time". I seriously doubted my music knowledge until google fixed that misunderstanding. Cheers paddy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

padd b1975 wrote: »

He's is well know for kicking a guy out of a gig and giving him a refund after that heckle.

Advertisement