Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jesus the Oasis, there's a blast from the past, probably long gone now is it?

Yes, closed up years ago. One of my memories of it is seeing loads of banknotes being taken from the tills and put into black binliners behind the bar counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Did they ever give a refund for that debacle?

Not a penny! I was standing but some mates had sitting tickets and were forced out the door :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I was at that gig too, horrible night. They put up the barriers in The Point after that every few metres, although they're gone now again with the new arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

tastyt wrote: »
    Musical tastes really are mad aren't they. I'm not a fan of Florence but have actually enjoyed her performance, thought it buzzed along
    Her songs (or just this performence?) seem to have a very specific window, if you get me? Like the bottom to the top of the sound is VERY narrow, nothing high, nothing low...which makes all her stuff sound flat and too similar. But maybe my ears are old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Orbital doing a DJ set.... with Johnny Moy... in 5.343 high def sound or something... complete load of crap.

HAte to admit it but Glen Hansard solo acoustic 15 odd yrs ago... sweet jebus how depressing. Loved the frames and all that so was probably expecting something above 50BPM

Florence and machine... same whiney type singing (her diction is terrible!).. listen to any song and tell me honestly you can hear the words. It's like a child who gets hit in the yard and runs to you crying trying to talk..

Kraftwerk.. booring.. kind of a retro bandwagon going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Faithless,Point Depot, 1996.We were expecting a rave,as insomniac was high in the charts.Dropped some brown specks in the queue, went in and we were treated to gospel/religious sh1te while out of the brains. To top the evening off,some clown ran amok with a stanley blade and sliced up a few security staff.Second worst was Ian Brown,one of my favourite artists of all time,in the pheonix park in 2007.The man died on his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Vines is another one I remember, think it was the Academy. It's easy to see why they never fulfilled on their early promise, poor live act, really messy and amateurish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Could someone shoot her and put her out of her misery.

Not at Glastonbury but this is still going down as my worst gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Rudimental on 10 times better on bbc3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Did they ever give a refund for that debacle?

No.
    Someone eventually managed to get him to complete his contracted set - some of which he apparently did sitting down, with his back to the audience.
    Thing is, lots of the crowd had already left at that stage, myself included, cause the local carparks close and it really did look like the show was over.

Honestly never experienced an angrier crowd, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Guns and roses Slane 92. Sucked mules..

Srsly, best part of it was the coca cola cups being thrown in the air bit... Literally, everybody was so bored for the two hours + it took them to go onstage that they started throwing empty cups in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I wouldn't mind being there right now in fairness.

Worst gig ever was ash at the point in 1997.
    Sh1t band.
    That's mad I have good memories of that gig(although I was pretty sure it was '96)
    but that's because It was my first ever gig and I was there with some good mates and some of their songs remind me of good times playing in my first band. I rem Tim Wheeler saying it was his last teenage rock gig... So in fairness they were pretty young... But they have no excuse now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Didn't even bother in 2012! Heard they regained some respect though.

Wasn't it the 2010 gig in the o2 that Axl claimed to have said that he was going to get a witch doctor for the irish crowd? Or was that a dream? :pac:

The thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that he leaned on the drum riser for the duration when he did decide to come back on-stage. Ignorant fcuk :rolleyes:

You aren;t a true GnR fan unless you been at a gig where he has thrown a hissy fit and stormed off stage, that would have been my attitude . The RDS gig was good, if you were up the front at least. That venue is shocking for rock/metal gigs though with the sound turned down so low.

ArtyM wrote: »
    No.
    Someone eventually managed to get him to complete his contracted set - some of which he apparently did sitting down, with his back to the audience.
    Thing is, lots of the crowd had already left at that stage, myself included, cause the local carparks close and it really did look like the show was over.

Honestly never experienced an angrier crowd, ever.

The abuse he got was something shocking! Of course I had to be right in the middle of it and got quite a few sprinkles of piss to the head :mad: It was fair funny though, the drummer would give a one, two on the kick drum expecting to get a good roar from the crowd. All he got was an almighty booing haha

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    You aren;t a true GnR fan unless you been at a gig where he has thrown a hissy fit and stormed off stage, that would have been my attitude . The RDS gig was good, if you were up the front at least. That venue is shocking for rock/metal gigs though with the sound turned down so low.

Yeah he gave the RDS welly all right! I was right up at the side stage, some mad one jumped up and grabbed his watch! He wasn't too happy about the whole thing to be fair :)

Not watching Florence's Glastonbury performance (yet) but I saw her live in Coventry in 2012 and she was fantastic. She most definitely can sing live, whether one likes her voice/music is a different matter. HAIM were the support act at that gig and they didn't really grab me at all, they were very enthusiastic to be fair but the music was just a bit meh.

Worst live performance I've seen was probably Laura Marling at Electric Picnic a few years ago, but it wasn't really her fault; she wasn't on stage long before giving up and walking off when it became clear that nobody could hear her properly. Scheduling a folk singer to perform near a tent blaring some very loud dance music wasn't the brightest move on the scheduler's part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Worst gig I've ever been to was a free one that was on when I was staying in Salford a few years ago with The New Young Pony Club, The Horrors and The Gossip. Some NME ****e full of lots of umbrella holding goths for the horrors and neon **** for the rest.

Worst band I've ever seen live though was easily Arcade Fire. My girlfriend found a half price ticket for me because I love Pixies and was delighted to get to see them. Full of arseholes who for some reason though Pixies would smash their guitars and interact with the audience and dance around! :confused: Then Arcade Fire were so boring and masturbatory... utter bollocks. It wasn't the worst gig because Pixies were, as expected, ****ing fantastic; I'd put up with Arcade Fire twice just to see half a Pixies set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Van Morrison, 1995 or so in Kentish Town. He was in a foul humour. Felt really cheated of my ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

failinis wrote: »
    I was at a Sigur Ros concert in Dublin recently, I adore the band, was the first time seeing them live.
    Some gob shítes in front of me and my friend got pissed and roared and laughed and were right bastards, split drink on me and song arms around and hit my friend- slightly ruined it for me, those lads were in there late 30s, maybe 40s and acting like such teenagers!
    But apart from them, was brill seeing the band.

Radio 1 and MTV in Derry were a let down.

I was at the gig and ya its a huge problem with Sigur ros gigs, most people pretent they like them but are just there for the 3-4 songs they know off the ads and then they get bored.

I knew from the picnic gig the year before to get into you own zone and not get distracted by people around you that includes even your own mates, enjoy the for yourself and ignore the rest of the crowd.

Both gigs were great though , the finale (popplagio) in the O2 was the most stunning i think ive ever heard at a gig.

As for most dissapointing gig i don't really have any i usually come out of gigs with something that i found good about it. But i definite have been to a few gigs where i come out thinking "ya i definitly have seen that band 1 time too many"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Garth Brooks summer '14

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

The Jesus and Mary Chain at the Olympia in 1998. Utter, utter shīte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Guns n Roses at the Point. They turned up an hour late, played 4 songs then stormed off stage because somebody threw some water on stage.

Them Crooked Vultures at Download 2010 were also ****e. They just jammed for an hour. About 5 songs and the rest just jamming. Crap and a half. At least Guns n Roses played a couple of good songs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Seen plenty of crap live bands, but one of the worst disappointments for me was Soundgarden in the RDS in 94 or 95 I think. Useless.

Saw them a couple of years ago in Donnington and they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

All Saints in the Point. Jesus christ.

The Streets at Oxegen were also terrible.

The only band I kinda like that weren't great is RHCP. Disappointing on all occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Went to the Killers a few years ago in Marley Park. I think Bloc Party were supporting them..terrible sound, brutal gig..took ages to get there and ages to get beer. Bar closed at 9 and took ages to get home...absolutely brutal sound and gig..girlfriend thought it was class tho..so not too bad!!! It was one of those ...hello..."Dublin"..gigs!

Best gig was Radiohead in 00 at Punchestown in the big tent. Great sound and show all round. Saw Muse in Castlegar in Galway with ASH supporting FFS!!! Muse were unbeliveable live then!! Seen them since and they aren't the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

kenmc wrote: »
    Any time i've heard her stuff on the radio it's been reasonably easy to listen

That wailing she does in every song I've heard gives me a pain in the ear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

New Order supporting Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Lansdowne Road, 2002. I love New Order - and that's why I went to the gig, I'm not much of a fan of RHCP - but it was a disaster because N.O. weren't the right fit as support. Most of the RHCP fans didn't have a clue who they were and thought they were crap and gave them a load of abuse, with the result that New Order's bassist got really pissed off with them, and the tension just took away from the gig, ruined the atmosphere, and they couldn't wait to be done. Only time seeing them and it was such a disappointment, as I'd really been dying to see New Order in concert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

RHCP in the SFX in '92. It was just before John Frusciante left. He looked totally disinterested and just took the piss doing the backing vocals. Anthony Kiedis said some things about him in between songs. It was a mess, so disappointing. The best was Radiohead in the Olympia in '94. Unbelievable!

The Vines is another one I remember, think it was the Academy. It's easy to see why they never fulfilled on their early promise, poor live act, really messy and amateurish.

The ambassador iirc. Yeah it was really half-assed, I'd dragged my then girlfriend to it on the premise that they were great, and it was such a let down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

GerB40 wrote: »
    Bob Dylan in the O2. It was my second time seeing him and the first time he was class, this time he just didn't bother. He barely picked up a guitar, mumbled incoherently along to his songs and just fúcked off after just over an hour. Plus it was my first time in the O2 since it changed from being The Point which just added to the disappointment. I still idolize him but I wouldn't watch him live if he was playing on my front lawn..

Came to post this myself. I adore Dylan but mother of God does he butcher his own music. His band always start off beautifully, all in sync, sounding amazing, the crowd naturally get all excited, then Bob mumbles.. the band slow down so as not to lose him and drown him out and the result is this kinda thing unfortunately happening to one of the greatest songs of all time:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is it cool to hate flo tonight? I think shes alright. My worse was Oasis at the old Lansdowne Rd, no energy or enthusiasm from them at all.

I remember that gig... God they were awful... I remember it being a very windy day and you could hear **** all. I remember also that Noel had walked out I think previously and they were not talking.. Bad gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Josh Rouse a few years ago in what was then the Village.. Off his face drunk or whatever... Same for Evan Dando in The Academy... Wasted out of tune mumbling and useless..

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Arcade Fire in Madison Square Garden. The band were excellent, but the crowd were like a bunch of extras from The Walking Dead. There was absolutely no atmosphere at all and it was a real let down. Saw them in The Point a few months later and it was a completely different story. The band were even better than they were the first time I saw them and the place was hopping. It was definitely one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yeah I was a bit disappointed by Arcade Fire in the Phoenix Park, 2007. Thought they'd be tremendous live and it was like listening to a CD. Don't know if that was the sound and the fact we picked a spot near the bar which was kinda far away anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

New Order supporting Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Lansdowne Road, 2002. I love New Order - and that's why I went to the gig, I'm not much of a fan of RHCP - but it was a disaster because N.O. weren't the right fit as support. Most of their fans didn't have a clue who they were and thought they were crap and gave them a load of abuse, with the result that New Order's bassist got really pissed off with them, and the tension just took away from the gig, ruined the atmosphere, and they couldn't wait to be done. Only time seeing them and it was such a disappointment, as I'd really been dying to see New Order in concert.

Well let the karmic justice commence!

One of the worst gigs I was ever at was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in the Phoenix Park. Well I wasn't there to see them actually, I was there to see the Pixies, who had just reformed (for the cash).

So was the rest of the crowd.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers died the death, they'd been upstaged by their support act and a disinterested crowd treated them like a pub cover band.

Boy they looked pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

kenmc wrote: »
    thought it was just me. Any time i've heard her stuff on the radio it's been reasonably easy to listen to. On glasto though she sounds tone deaf, and I noticed the same on graham norton show a few weeks back too but had that as a once off.

The lighting is even more annoying though.

What you hear on the airwaves these days to the hearing the actual live performance can and is most of the time considerably different, to the point where the actual artist (if you wanna call them that??) sound like they are doing a bad impression of themselves. Too many studio tweaks for my liking, to the point where it aint real anymore..... the industry has become full of very narcissistic people who shouldn't even be there (more so behind the scene's)... I..M.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

anna080 wrote: »
    Garth Brooks summer '14

Hang on. Those gigs were cancelled. It was all over the papers sure.

What must have happened here is that when you turned up on the day some fcuking comedians working on the gates of Croker thought it would be hilarious for them to pretend the gig was still on and maybe stuck a stetson on one of the lads and put on an impromptu performance at your expense. I'd get on to Ticketmaster first thing Monday if I was you. We all love a joke but they've taken the absolute piss out of you here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Came to post this myself. I adore Dylan but mother of God does he butcher his own music. His band always start off beautifully, all in sync, sounding amazing, the crowd naturally get all excited, then Bob mumbles.. the band slow down so as not to lose him and drown him out and the result is this kinda thing unfortunately happening to one of the greatest songs of all time:

****in' 'ell

• Advertisement

Yeah I was a bit disappointed by Arcade Fire in the Phoenix Park, 2007. Thought they'd be tremendous live and it was like listening to a CD. Don't know if that was the sound and the fact we picked a spot near the bar which was kinda far away anyway...

Probably was a CD?? ......... are ye ready lads ?, okay ? , "get ready to press play Johnny" ....... 1.2.3.. and we're off .....................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Passion pit in 2012 I think? At the Olympia anyway. A free gig promoted by Heineken. They were awful, played for 40 mins than just left. No life or effort in their songs. I was fuming with it all. Friends said oh yeah sure it's free what did you expect. I expected a band to put on a show for their fans who took the time out to see them. Also I'm sure Heineken paid them. No wonder they've disappeared off the face of the earth.

Kings Of Leon at Oxygen 2009. Stoked to see them thought they were going to bring the energy as they so often did at festivals. Nope. Just slowed their songs down and sounded dreary. I have never seen what must have been well over 30,000 so still and quiet.

Local Natives are smashing live though. Also Ben Howard was brilliant when he played the Olympia. The venue was made for him. In general I think some artists are better off doing a few nights in a small to medium venue as opposed to a venue that doesn't suit the sound of their music. That really kills it for me.

All Saints in the Point. Jesus christ.

The Streets at Oxegen were also terrible.

The only band I kinda like that weren't great is RHCP. Disappointing on all occasions.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... you left home to go and see "All Saints"???? ................ "Why"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Dave and Joe, the Harp Bar, Ballybofey 1992... accordion & electric guitar.

Guitar player was drunk and had broken a string which he left hanging down across the other 5 strings... which were all out of tune. I stood and stared in disbelief..

other than that, St. Etienne, the Olympia 2001, they sucked the big one.

Dave and Joe, the Harp Bar, Ballybofey 1992... accordion & electric guitar.

Guitar player was drunk and had broken a string which he left hanging down across the other 5 strings... which were all out of tune. I stood and stared in disbelief..

other than that, St. Etienne, the Olympia 2001, they sucked the big one.

That comment has just woken me up laughing .... got second wind now..he he he he

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

The original rudeboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sheepondrugs

eviltwin wrote: »
    Guns n Roses in the RDS.

yep was terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just a moment in a gig maybe. I'm a huge Nick Cave fan. Years back he played in the Olympia. If you know the song "God is in the house" theres a very slow bit where the music pretty much stops and he starts singing without music really softly about kittens in the snow or something. The laughter started in the front and spread to the rest. Sorry Nick !

Great gig otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 themink

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is it cool to hate flo tonight? I think shes alright. My worse was Oasis at the old Lansdowne Rd, no energy or enthusiasm from them at all.

Concur with that one. I believe supergrass were the support & were good. Oasis didnt seem like they wanted to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭tritriagain

InTheTrees wrote: »
    U2 two years ago.

Where did u2 play 2 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Strumms wrote: »
    I remember that gig... God they were awful... I remember it being a very windy day and you could hear **** all. I remember also that Noel had walked out I think previously and they were not talking.. Bad gig.

Noel played that day, but there was no interaction between them at all or with the crowd. Think the only time they did was one some fella got on up onto the roof of the sound tent, for Liam to say 'look at the focker on the sound tent'. Think they played for about 60 to 90 minutes total. Was an absoulte let down, as loved Oasis, had been trying for years to get tickers, including spending about 4-5 hrs on the phone for the Knebworth gigs with no luck. On the same tour they played the old Wembly for about 2 and half hours and tore the place up.

The highlight of the Landowne gig for me was Supergrass, one of the best supports I've seen, as were not really bothered about them before that day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement