Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

RHCP in Phoenix Park were a let down compared to their Slane gig, but I don't agree with the poster who stated they were annoyed that the Pixies upstaged them, at Slane they had pretty much a perfect afternoon of music before them with QOTSA, Foos and Feeder and they came on and made it even better.

I've been lucky enough with gigs I think, went to Clapton in the Marquee about 6 years ago alright not expecting it to be music I hadn't heard before and I didn't know he wasn't one for crowd interaction but the music was excellent and his final 4 songs were the big ones so can't fault it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

GerB40 wrote: »
    Bob Dylan in the O2. It was my second time seeing him and the first time he was class, this time he just didn't bother. He barely picked up a guitar, mumbled incoherently along to his songs and just fúcked off after just over an hour. Plus it was my first time in the O2 since it changed from being The Point which just added to the disappointment. I still idolize him but I wouldn't watch him live if he was playing on my front lawn..

I was at that gig as well, what an utter pile of incoherent sh!te. I cannot believe people still pay hard earned cash to go to his concerts.
    My ears needed counselling for years after that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I was at a Leeds/Reading many moons ago where a lot of the campsite got torched and we were tear gassed by mounted riot police. Some dude tried to sell me a gun! Very scummy housing estates all around the venue.
    But it was a feckin class festival really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I went to see a guy called Buck 65 in Phoenix, Arizona recently. I had seen him play about 3 times before and he was great. Two days before the gig he posted this really cryptic post on Facebook about going through his divorce and making himself seem like the victim and how he wasn't the victim. He was the villain, he was the cheater, he destroyed the relationship etc. and then ended with him saying he was going through a tough time but was planning on trying to be a better person.

Anyways. He get's on stage and talks about planning to go to the Grand Canyon the next day and possibly throwing himself into it. Pretty much every break was filled with some cryptic self loathing talk. He also played some of his most obscure stuff. About 30 minutes all but a few of the people there had left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Kinda embarrassing seen as ye are comparing actual bands mostly but last year I had the misfortune of having to bring a few service users where I work to see Chris Brown in the O2. My god, what a talentless p!!!k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I went to see The Knife a couple of years ago, i had been waiting years to see them so i was mega excited, worst gig ever, they didn't even play, they just had a dance group preform on stage to their music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Dylan in thomond park just useless. Got the feeling he just didn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Deep Purple in the Marquee 5 years(ish) back were absolutely fcuking horse****e.

I was so disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Red Hot Chili Peppers in Lansdowne Road, they played for 70 minutes and it was a terrible gig, despite the weather being lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... you left home to go and see "All Saints"???? ................ "Why"??

Accompanying a younger relative. Also brought her to see Westlife who wouldn't be my cup of tea either, but the difference in quality was massive - and that's really saying something! Westlife put a lot of effort into their performance and obviously had a lot of time for their fans. All Saints were so dead and boring. Both are sh1te bands but only one was taking the piss completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Fat Boy Slim, probably 15 or 16 years ago. I was younger and stupider and foolishly expected stuff off his album. What I got was a rave. Completely bored off me face.

Now, on the other hand... I'd happily go to that. My tastes have broadened considerably over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Van Morrison in the Point in the late 90s.

Excellent band and backing singers but he himself just could not be arsed -started a song, wandered off stage to play with himself or something leaving his backing singers to sing the song and then strolled back onstage for the final chorus and applause! He did this for at least 5 or 6 songs.

Has anyone mentioned the Cat Stevens debacle yet? Wasn't there but the calls to the joe Duffy show the following week were super entertaining, more than can be said for the concert by the sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭miggins

KungPao wrote: »
    I have to say, Florence is pretty ****e (watching it now). Her range seems very limited...all the songs sound the same.

For me, it has to be Metallica in The Point in 99 I think, underwhelming... until they brought out the Thin Lizzy singers Ma out for some reason...then things got even worse, and they proceded to a do a ****e version of a traditional Irish song.

Saw them in 92 in the point and it was an amazing gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Grandmaster Flash at the very first Electric Picnic and at the Cork Jazz festival. At EP he had multiple boxes of vinyl, with another DJ actually mixing the records. He just stood there talking crap into the mic. In Cork he was using Serato, so no records. He just had a harddrive full of predictable hits, which he cut up with the simplest of baby scratches. Utterly useless. He just stood there playing out his tired playlist and telling everyone that he "invented this sh*t". Yeah, you invented it for yourself, and you killed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Eminem at Slane was fairly ****e, he was much better at Oxegen like three years before!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

Grandmaster Flash at the very first Electric Picnic and at the Cork Jazz festival. At EP he had a numerous boxes of vinyl, with another DJ actually mixing the records. He just stood there talking crap into the mic. In Cork he was using Serato, so no records. He just had a harddrive full of predictable hits, which he cut up with the simplest of baby scratches. Utterly useless. He just stood there playing out his tired playlist and telling everyone that he "invented this sh*t". Yeah, you invented it for yourself, and you killed it for me.

We're talking about "Bands" ... people that actually play music with instruments,, not people who place an object in/on a machine and press play,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

eviltwin wrote:
    Guns n Roses in the RDS.
    Yeah man, I was at that, that was gick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Worst live performance I've seen was probably Laura Marling at Electric Picnic a few years ago, but it wasn't really her fault; she wasn't on stage long before giving up and walking off when it became clear that nobody could hear her properly. Scheduling a folk singer to perform near a tent blaring some very loud dance music wasn't the brightest move on the scheduler's part!
    I was at that too. So dissappointing but it absolutely wasn't her fault and the crowd were really loud and just shouted over her.
    Saw her at Vicar Street and she was AMAZING where everyone there was into it.

We're talking about "Bands" ... people that actually play music with instruments,, not people who place an object in/on a machine and press play,,,,,,

No, we're talking about the worst gigs we've been to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anyone expecting a Bob Dylan gig to be anything utter than mediocre deserves to be parted from their cash. He's been consistently awful live for over forty years. How do people not realize this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Macy Gray at The Point years ago. Stupidly long gap between support and main act. Finally the band come on and start to play an intro in build up for her entrance….it went on and on….no Macy.

About 7 mins later she was walked on to the stage and placed in front of the mic, wearing dark glasses and slurring her words. Worst gig ever unfolded after that.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Mary Black in Amsterdam.

I hate her anyway but it was a festival that's why I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

Grandmaster Flash at the very first Electric Picnic and at the Cork Jazz festival. At EP he had multiple boxes of vinyl, with another DJ actually mixing the records. He just stood there talking crap into the mic. In Cork he was using Serato, so no records. He just had a harddrive full of predictable hits, which he cut up with the simplest of baby scratches. Utterly useless. He just stood there playing out his tired playlist and telling everyone that he "invented this sh*t". Yeah, you invented it for yourself, and you killed it for me.
    No, we're talking about the worst gigs we've been to.

Thats not a "gig" its a ""Disco"" ....... he he he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

sadie06 wrote: »
    Macy Gray at The Point years ago. Stupidly long gap between support and main act. Finally the band come on and start to play an intro in build up for her entrance….it went on and on….no Macy.

About 7 mins later she was walked on to the stage and placed in front of the mic, wearing dark glasses and slurring her words. Worst gig ever unfolded after that.

The after party for that was the stuff of legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

lbj666 wrote: »
    I was at the gig and ya its a huge problem with Sigur ros gigs, most people pretent they like them but are just there for the 3-4 songs they know off the ads and then they get bored.

I knew from the picnic gig the year before to get into you own zone and not get distracted by people around you that includes even your own mates, enjoy the for yourself and ignore the rest of the crowd.

Both gigs were great though , the finale (popplagio) in the O2 was the most stunning i think ive ever heard at a gig.

As for most dissapointing gig i don't really have any i usually come out of gigs with something that i found good about it. But i definite have been to a few gigs where i come out thinking "ya i definitly have seen that band 1 time too many"

So true, there were a good few absolute gonks at the Sigur Ros one. I was over on the right hand side, and this oldish couple (off their heads) kept pushing around the crowd, groping basically everyone. Rank.

• Advertisement

Thats not a "gig" its a ""Disco"" ....... he he he

Well it was the worst damn disco I was ever at. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Went to see moby in the point dec '00 was absolute ****e!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Suzyq wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the Cat Stevens debacle yet? Wasn't there but the calls to the joe Duffy show the following week were super entertaining, more than can be said for the concert by the sounds of it

Same goes for the Streisand gig in Castletown House.

The Joe Duffy shows the following few days were radio gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Anyone expecting a Bob Dylan gig to be anything utter than mediocre deserves to be parted from their cash. He's been consistently awful live for over forty years. How do people not realize this?

My back catalogue of amazing Dylan albums, bootlegs, etc made my heart overrule my head. Three times... In my opinion, if you want to see a good Bob Dylan live gig, it should be in black and white with him alone on stage with a guitar and harmonica. Anything after those days have been okay at best, absolutely dire at worst. Which is a shame, he's a living legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Surprised the Neil Young Crazy Horse gig in the RDS hasn't been mentioned yet, I wasn't there but I remember people went berserk after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭jh79

Kings of Leon in Landsdowne Road, bad songs made worse by terrible sound.

Prodigy in Semple stadium '98. Remember seeing a music documentary on rte 2 and a guy on it said it was all backing tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Jinx Lennon - what a douche, Im sure he appeals to angry 14 year olds but he comes across as a knob end

Best gig ever - Duke Special in the Roisin Dubh in Galway, supported by Duffy before she became pretty famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Manic Street Preachers Smithfield 2001. Big fan for a good few years, saw them in the point in 99 and they were great. At Smithfield in 01, however, whatever enthusiasm and aggression they had was totally gone. The distortion on James guitar was turned all the way down so the whole show sounded like cabaret. Dreadful gig. I left early.

Another is more of a badly chosen support band. Saw Sepultura in the Top Hat in 90 or 91. The support band were some sort of GNR clone. The guitarist even wore a Slash style hat. They were murdered by the crowd. :p Every time they started a song or the guitarist played a solo they were boo'd. They weren't even that bad but they just weren't Trash/Death metal. They pulled it back at the end though for the last song by playing Holiday in Cambodia by Dead Kennedys to huge cheers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Jesus and Mary Chain at the Olympia in 1998. Utter, utter shīte.

Hah yes that was a pretty crap gig, they only played about 45 minutes if I remember rightly. Although they had form for that sort of thing, used to play 15-20 minutes in the mid 80s and for some reason attracted a lot of violent skinheads to their earliest gigs.

Curve in McGonagles in about 1992 was bad, not because of the band, but the place was packed and was a heaving sweaty mass, and there were some right 'elbow everywhere' dickheads doing their best to clear a space at the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Any Chemical Brothers/Superstar DJ gig nowadays, they simply turn up, plug their flash drive (with their entire pre mixed set) into the system, press play and dance around for 2 hours, occasionally pretending to twist & turn the various knobs on the mixers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

Haven't been to many but mgmt in the olympia in 2013 weren't fantastic I thought, pretty much no interaction with the crowd which maybe is their thing but i though the atmosphere would have been better if they had some craic. Other than that was a grand gig.

Best gig by far was lamb of god in the olympia in 2013, sound was great and the band had great craic with the audience. Support from tesseract was brilliant but I felt like the only person in the crowd who was into them:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Suzyq wrote: »

I was at that concert and it was absolutely brilliant. I would say that the intermission segment went on for a bit too long, but otherwise a great concert.
    The "debacle" was the drunken ar$eholes who started shouting out stuff between the songs, for example,
    "... play [insert song title] ye oul boll!x" and other such stuff during the intermission piece.
    It was when a woman turned around and told one of them to shut up and be quiet, only for her to be told to STFU and mind her own business that the hand bags started to fly, resulting in the drunken mouthy w@nkers being kicked out.
    Cat (Yusuf) played all the hits, new and old, and it was a great night except for a couple of idiots and a slightly long intermission set.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kings of Leon in the o2 in December a few years ago.
    Crowd were full of office Christmas party types completely pissed. Kol were boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

van morrison in slane.Jesus the man was god awful. saw him a good few years later as well and he was worse.
    he just cannot cut it as a live performer imo.

Any Chemical Brothers/Superstar DJ gig nowadays, they simply turn up, plug their flash drive (with their entire pre mixed set) into the system, press play and dance around for 2 hours, occasionally pretending to twist & turn the various knobs on the mixers.

I don't think the Chems use laptops, so in theory they should still be doing the same type of work on stage as they they've always done. They're just bloody boring, but that's due to their music, not how it's 'performed'.

• Advertisement

Hah yes that was a pretty crap gig, they only played about 45 minutes if I remember rightly. Although they had form for that sort of thing, used to play 15-20 minutes in the mid 80s and for some reason attracted a lot of violent skinheads to their earliest gigs.
    Morrissey is another one for that. Felt VERY short changed by his miserly setlist. Twice in fact.

That reminds of a few "guest DJ" sets I've been to at nightclubs where the guy never turns up. So they just turn up the volume and everybody thinks his set has started and none of the off their face kids know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RHCP in Landsdowne Road and then about 10 years later at the O2...piss poor crowd interaction and just very boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Went to see Iron Maiden a good few years back in Dublin. Absolutely dreadful gig.

Marilyn Manson played as support and was decent, but the only great act of the day was Turbonegro who were amazing as always.

Wow, i thought Maiden were great that night and Manson was pants, sure Maiden had a 10minute technical issue but that was just one of them things.
    Agree about Turbonegro, amazing, how many other bands could get away with throwing potatoes at an Irish crowd!!

My worst gig i guess has to be 30 seconds to Mars, got free tickets to their gig at The Point about 4yrs ago, lasted 4 songs before we walked.

A dissapointing one was Metallica at Pukkelpop, maybe around 97/98, love the band, we'd gone over and was great craic, expecting them to be great as usual and they just looked to be going through the motions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is it cool to hate flo tonight? I think shes alright. My worse was Oasis at the old Lansdowne Rd, no energy or enthusiasm from them at all.

I was at that and thought it was brilliant. Although, it was my first concert ever, and we'd had a few Bacardi Breezers, so that might be why. I did really enjoy Supergrass though. God - that was 15 years ago!!

Definitely my worst was a Wolfe Tone gig that we stumbled into in Glasgow. We didn't know who was playing and the crowd there was dog rough. An hour of queueing at the bar for a drink, and then these eejits starting throwing their full pints (plastic glasses at least) from the back of the room. It was around Halloween, and we (three girls) were dressed up as pirates and the like. Ended up hitch hiking back to our hostel from some guy who I'm pretty sure thought we were prostitutes.

Classy times!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    For disappointment level I'd have to say Pixies.
    For actual awfulness probably Mundy. I've seen him a few times supporting somebody else and he's crud.

I'd have to agree with you on Mundy. Seen him twice live and I've seen better pub bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Eminem was ****e at Punshestown. Day was saved by Cypress Hill and believe it or not Xhibit (yo dawg. I heard you like concerts! So we pretended to put a substandard concert in your racecourse.) 50 Cent was brutal in The Point. I was a teen at the time :roll:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Toss up between Snow Patrol in the O2 and Dylan in Nowlan Park. I'll give it to Snow Patrol though because Dylan had the amazing Flaming Lips on beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Specialun wrote: »
    Watching glastonbury here with the mrs..florance and the machine is depressing the sh!te out of me....

Whats the worst gig/concert youve ever been at

I just read the title and straight away thought of Florence and the machine at primavera festival. Utter tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

It was a Michael Jackson tribute act in Andrews Lane Theatre, back in 2010 or something like that. It was absolutely horrific, mainly due to the terrible sound and the awful layout.

Advertisement